It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

untitled #1

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   
(this started off as a reply to another thread, and it got out of hand. i didn't want to discard it, but it took a sudden sharp turn away from the topic at hand. i don't expect replies, just catharsis.)

Where are the arguments for the reality of the Hindu creation myth, or the Gnostic, or that of the ancient Norse people?

I don't understand why people don't realize that, given the vast number of religious faiths that have existed throughout the years, the odds of any one of these having represented a factual interpetation of reality are infinitesimal. Every one of these has known their God or pantheon to be the true one, and every one has known that theirs was the one true faith. Over the millenia, however, hundreds of these faiths have been abandoned and forgotten by all but a few practitioners, because they were simply wrong.

Now, I don't think we should abandon the concept of religion entirely. I don't suggest that everybody give up their faith. But I do take exception when any person declares that their beliefs (as regards metaphysics), and only theirs, are the correct ones.

It isn't that hard to live and let live... but letting live consists in large part of not trying to tell other people what to believe.

i guess there's some hypocrisy at work here, but i welcome criticism concerning these opinions i hold, as (and this is my point) nothing is absolute.

new topics

join