It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If someone claimed to be God, would you believe him?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 03:25 AM
link   
If this 'god' were to try to convince me that he was genuine I would ask him for proof! Where are your credentials? Even a prophet of god wouldnt expect people of the 21st century to go based on faith alone, thats absurd! Even jesus had a few parlor tricks like turning water to whine which helped people to believe. The sad thing is that Jesus doesnt have anything on David Blaine who has so many tricks that making water turn into whine looks like amateur night.

Who might be connected to god.

The Prophet Yahweh (Makes UFOs appear in the sky)
David Blaine (Amazing and innexplainable magic)
Me ( I may be wrong but i think the world revolves around me)

pml

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Good question. One I have debated for some time. If someone claimed to be GOD, would I believe him? What would it take for me to believe such a claim? Jesus, one part of the Trinity, died as a result of his claims. But, that was all part of a master plan. So, what would it take for me to believe that someone who looked like me (gererically speaking) was, in fact, GOD? Being pragmatic, I would have to be shown some event so mind boggling, and of such an immense scale in which the laws of nature were suspended that there could be no doubt in my mind of anything else other than divine intervention. Something like the alteration of time and reality. If, indeed, it were GOD doing this thing then GOD would know precisely what it would take for me to believe. What worked for me might not be convincing to you. For example, to some primitive equatorial cultures something as simple as ice could be construed as miraculous. To another it could be restoration of life (i.e., resurrection); or the spontaneous remission of advanced, untreatable, terminal cancer. The latter has been documented many times with no explanation.
So, I do not have a specific answer. This has been an intellectual exercise for me since my youth. I still do not know what would be required for me to believe that someone claiming to be GOD was in fact as claimed.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prot0n
Say for instance, if I were to tell you I was God in the flesh, would you believe me?

No.

Would you believe anyone who claimed to be him?

Nope.

On what terms would it take for you to believe such a claim?

I wouldn't, because God already became man 2000 years ago. So unless your name is Jesus and were born of a virgin in Bethlehem, I'd tell you to get lost.

[edit on 4/10/2006 by Amethyst]

[edit on 4/10/2006 by Amethyst]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Yeah, the problem you run into is that you kind of have to go through a lot of different beliefs to get to the core of the problem. Like with Jesus. Okay, you can say he fulfilled all the requirements of the Jewish prophets like Elijah, so he's the real Messiah and Son of God. As long as you believe Elijah was right. Who said he was right? Some other guy. So then you have to believe this other guy. Pretty soon you have to believe like sixteen other guys who came before and after, just to believe the first thing. That's a lot of people to trust, not just that they aren't liars, but just to trust they got the story down right. People are lousy witnesses and interpreters. Ask any judge in a traffic collision case.

Either you buy it, or you don't.

Personally, I don't know what an omnipotent entity, whose power is immeasurable and transtemporal, who created the entire universe of billions of galaxies, would be doing pretending to be a regular guy on the street. Or why he/it would have trouble convincing me it was true.

But I'm sure that's just the sort of attitude that ends in some kind of smiting.

[edit on 10-4-2006 by Enkidu]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   

I wouldn't, because God already became man 2000 years ago. So unless your name is Jesus and were born of a virgin in Bethlehem, I'd tell you to get lost.

So you'd limit your God to only be able to come under the name of Jesus and under a certain conception?

Wow... A limited all powerfull God... lmao nice.

pml,

So, I do not have a specific answer. This has been an intellectual exercise for me since my youth. I still do not know what would be required for me to believe that someone claiming to be GOD was in fact as claimed.

I'd say that's the best answer yet. Really, in either instance it requires a leap of faith. Religous minded folk have faith in a 2000 year old book who's history is questionable as being right. They have faith in a 'character' from a story that may or may not exist and IF did exist was most probably not in the manner as depicted in the biblical text's (imo atleast, look at how the dragon mythology was born).

Enkidu,

Personally, I don't know what an omnipotent entity, whose power is immeasurable and transtemporal, who created the entire universe of billions of galaxies, would be doing pretending to be a regular guy on the street. Or why he/it would have trouble convincing me it was true.

I don't get why anyone would claim to be God period. Including Jesus in the bible. If Jesus were truelly God, there should have been no doubt about that in ANYONE's mind. It's kinda funny, any good stage magician/illusionist can perform pretty much all of the 'miracles' Jesus was said to have performed, even walking on water! If one of these magicians turned around and said look, I can do what Jesus did and then some. I am God. Do you think people would believe him? Hell no. So I don't understand why people put so much faith into a character from a 2000 year old book. Make's no sense to me. People today would require something MORE extrodinary then what Jesus supposedly had done. Yea, so much for FAITH.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   

So you'd limit your God to only be able to come under the name of Jesus and under a certain conception?

Wow... A limited all powerfull God... lmao nice.

pml,

I'd say that's the best answer yet. Really, in either instance it requires a leap of faith. Religous minded folk have faith in a 2000 year old book who's history is questionable as being right. They have faith in a 'character' from a story that may or may not exist and IF did exist was most probably not in the manner as depicted in the biblical text's (imo atleast, look at how the dragon mythology was born).

Enkidu,

I don't get why anyone would claim to be God period. Including Jesus in the bible. If Jesus were truelly God, there should have been no doubt about that in ANYONE's mind. It's kinda funny, any good stage magician/illusionist can perform pretty much all of the 'miracles' Jesus was said to have performed, even walking on water! If one of these magicians turned around and said look, I can do what Jesus did and then some. I am God. Do you think people would believe him? Hell no. So I don't understand why people put so much faith into a character from a 2000 year old book. Make's no sense to me. People today would require something MORE extrodinary then what Jesus supposedly had done. Yea, so much for FAITH.

[edit on 18-4-2006 by kinglizard]

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I would ask a question only God could answer.
If it were correct, I would tend to begin to believe.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I would say, "That's nice. So am I. But if you really understood what you're saying, you wouldn't be saying it, because for other people, what matters is not convincing them that YOU are God, but convincing them that THEY are.

"So -- although I believe you, and know perfectly well that you are God, I don't actually believe that YOU believe it yet. You're trying to convince yourself, or else you're just on a power trip.

"Either way, I hope you manage to wake up one of these days."

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
There is as much chance of proving his or her claim to be god as there is to prove the jewish/christian/islamic gods claim to be god.

And as much chance of me worshipping either......no chance.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prot0n
Jesus claimed to be God, and yet many didn't believe him. Even killed him for claiming it.

Yet some did believe he was who he said he was. And now we have christianity.

If Jesus was God in the flesh, as he says he was; Then yes, God would and has claimed to be God. So, if someone came around claiming to be God today, why would you choose not to believe him? What if you were wrong? You'd be no better then those who denied Jesus, wouldn't you?

Or do you not think Jesus was God in the flesh? If you don't, then do you not follow the NT, or just the parts about Jesus and his teaching's?

Jesus only told a few people that he was the messiah and when the disciples asked him if they ould tell everyhe told them that it was not the time, and the ime would come when everyone would know. Even when asked if he was God before he was crucified he st in silence. So God does not have to tell anyone who he is because when you meet God you will know without a question.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I'd ask what he needed and if it wasn't anything too outragious I'd do it and then I'd say that I'm not gonna repent anything because that would mean I have regretts and I want one of those cool I have no regrets speaches when I die! Also because his master plan has me doing this so it is therefore not my fault. God has just officially been pwned by me! I wonder what his response would be to that... (imagines god flaming and getting banned) LOL

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join