It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If someone claimed to be God, would you believe him?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   
No I wouldn't believe Him (or her).

However, I would keep in mind that some religions actually
believe that you achieve 'god head' status (or something)
and that the person might actually have that as part of
THEIR belief process.

I'd figure they were either
- kidding around
- serious but deluded
- expressing their religious beliefs about 'godhead'.

At any rate, I wouldn't believe they were actually God.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Ah, yes, King of the Jews and Son of God are certainly two different catagories. "Who do you say I am?", Jesus would ask. It must have been truly upsetting to his disciples, friends, and general public who wanted to see Him as King of the Jews, yet here was Jesus saying, "Hey, here is what you really need to do with your Lives. Love your enemies, love people unconditionally, treat them as I've shown you, treat them as you would want to be treated (which means you've got to love yourself!). Don't waste your time worrying, etc. There is more to Life than what you see around you." I can see why they were disappointed, when he got himself in trouble with the law and was killed--how could a King who was supposed to save a nation do that I would have thought; yet a few began to understand his message of God and Love and Us.
Didn't early church leaders have trouble with the idea of Jesus "being God" or not? I seem to remember something along that line.
I guess by then they had already forgotten that God is in us all.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Prot0n:
How does requiring proof that someone who claims to be God is God have any relevance to one who believes in God? I don't follow. Show me the hypocritical element in this. If a person believes in apples and I show them what appears to be an orange and claims it's an apple, I would expect that they would require proof despite their belief in apples. The two aspects are completely unrelated.

[edit on 6/4/06 by mytym]

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   
If someone said they were god, they'd have to be able to pull a full human person out of theyre ass.

You see, Rodents and rabbits are easy to pull out of your ass, common magic tricks....but a person....

Or, I'd ask him to tell us the ending for the show Lost, since God only knows how that will end.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Why would God do this? I think Criss Angel could do that!
Humans have "God" doing all these things--killing enemies, making tornadoes, taking the Life of a child, etc. Humans make wars, Life gives us tornadoes and death. The thinking about this type of "God" is outdated, a making God a god. Even Jesus said we could calm seas and move mountains ourselves. God is beyond a god.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Just remember...not even 100 years ago David Blaine could have passed as God simply by performing one of his most basic illusions. He would have had people worshiping him based on these "miracles". Now if that be the case, imagine how little of a "miracle" you had to perform in biblical times in order to convince a bunch of wildly superstitious, uneducated desert dwelling imbeciles that you were "God". Wouldn't take much now would it. There have been many great con men who have successfully convinced others that they were God or his prophet. Jesus was one of many. Jim Jones, David Koresh, Mohammed, Brigham Young to name a few. As far as I know, none of these people have risen from the dead as of yet. So if you were to say that you were God, I would simply say PROVE it

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by edwardteach
hey. you called? well here i am, god, in the flesh. see look i didnt even have to capitalize the "g", cuz im god. oh i get it, you dont believe me. wait a sec....:w:...ok im back. anyways, proof. well go ahead and open your bible. see look, theres my name, see it? right there "God". well there you *hick* go. holy sh*#..
ahhh thats better. believe me!!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!

That's the FUNNIEST thing I've seen on this site in a while! I'm still laughing, damn. Damn, I'm laughing too hard to contribute to this thread...

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
...imagine how little of a "miracle" you had to perform in biblical times in order to convince a bunch of wildly superstitious, uneducated desert dwelling imbeciles that you were "God". Wouldn't take much now would it. There have been many great con men who have successfully convinced others that they were God or his prophet. Jesus was one of many. Jim Jones, David Koresh, Mohammed, Brigham Young to name a few.

Damn, the laughs keep coming!

"Desert-dwelling imbeciles," "great con men," "Jesus was one of many." Dayum, I am literally rotflmmfao! Does anyone else see Jesus as being the biggest con man in history as frickin hilarious?!?!

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 02:21 AM
link   
if someone told me they were God, i think i'd have'ta ask 'em when there script of thorazine ran out. call me a skeptic, but i believe that the nuts in this world far outnumber the saviors.

However, i must complement the originator of the this thread, as i haven't seen one whose subjet matter allows almost EVERYONE to be a smart*ass.

i'm sure that you intended this to be a serious topic, but, geez, this one is just to good to pass up. if you started this thread without humor in mind then you have my apologizes, as it is no fun to have others laugh at what you think of as a serious subject.

Boots out

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   
No, not entirely serious. More out of curiosity of how many people would blindly believe today a person who claimed to be God or the Messiah perhaps.

Seem's like everyone so far who claims Jesus was God/Messiah blindly following and believing it without much evidence for a historical Jesus or without any proof whatsoever that Jesus was the Messiah or God. With only but the bible to base thier beliefs on. Seem's to me like we've got a whole boat load of hypocrits.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prot0n
Say for instance, if I were to tell you I was God in the flesh, would you believe me?

Would you believe anyone who claimed to be him?

On what terms would it take for you to believe such a claim?

If someone came and said they were god I would ask them to show me that they are god.
I would believe them if they could prove themselves to be god or a god.
My terms on belief would require things that have no possibility of happening, say stopping time and letting me see, creating a wormhole or instantly transferring me to the the death of jesus so I could see or the beginning of time. Anything that would allow me to see,feel, experience things that are against the odds. ETC ETC ETC

A tall order but should be no problem for god eh? Im not asking for much except the truth.

G

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I think I can prove I am a Godhead of a sort. I know the secret of Mona Lisa's smile, and I keep it in my front pocket and everytime I open it up, I laugh my ass off, as it's so simple.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Seem's like everyone so far who claims Jesus was God/Messiah blindly following and believing it without much evidence for a historical Jesus or without any proof whatsoever that Jesus was the Messiah or God. With only but the bible to base thier beliefs on. Seem's to me like we've got a whole boat load of hypocrits.

OK, now I think I know your pov for thread. So, if I am a fan of a celebrity, I should believe in anyone who claims to be that celebrity (this happens, by the way, and people can be fleeced by this) or I am a hypocrite. Would it matter to you if it is said Jesus didn't claim to be God?
If one wants to do away with a historical Jesus, one can still do very Christian-like things. My best friend was raised and is an atheist but has much compassion and love for others and Life and does acts of charity, etc. Compassion and love are the bottom line, not how much $ one puts in a collection plate or how much we stand up and pray in public. What's in your heart (like what's in your wallet--like the credit card commercial).
Sometimes in recent times we have had Christians throwing Christians to the lions. Believe this way or go to hell.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Say for instance, if I were to tell you I was God in the flesh, would you believe me?

Heck no.

Would you believe anyone who claimed to be him?

Heck no.

On what terms would it take for you to believe such a claim?

There are none.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by desert
If one wants to do away with a historical Jesus, one can still do very Christian-like things. My best friend was raised and is an atheist but has much compassion and love for others and Life and does acts of charity, etc. Compassion and love are the bottom line, not how much $ one puts in a collection plate or how much we stand up and pray in public. What's in your heart (like what's in your wallet--like the credit card commercial).
Sometimes in recent times we have had Christians throwing Christians to the lions. Believe this way or go to hell.

That is exactly what Jesus preached. Follow me or you don't get into heaven. No matter how much 'good' your friend does, in God POV, it ain't good enough. He need's to beleive in God and follow Jesus.

My main problem is, why would people blindly believe some guy in a book written 2000 years ago is God (meaning Jesus) without literally no proof that Jesus was who he said he was. Nothing more then a book. And yet, some would require extrodinairy proof or simply would not believe anyone today who claimed to be God. Just seems rather stupid to me. You can follow the word of some guy who's existance in still very highly debatable, but would not believe some average guy on the side of the street, no matter what he says. If that's not a hypocrit, idk what is.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Perhaps your analogy would carry a bit more weight if a person claiming to be God today, had a detailed book written about him and millions of believers backing up his stroy. Fact or fiction this is certainly an influencing factor, don't you agree?

[edit on 8/4/06 by mytym]

[edit on 8/4/06 by mytym]

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytym
Perhaps your analogy would carry a bit more weight if a person claiming to be God today, had a detailed book written about him and millions of believers backing up his stroy. Fact or fiction this is certainly an influencing factor, don't you agree?

Millions of believers backing up his story? And how many of those millions today have met Jesus personally? None. How can someone back up the story of someone they don't know for a fact really existed? Someone they've never met? There are just as many, if not more books that are not included in the 'official' account of Jesus. Why should anyone believe on story over the other? Alot of thing's in the "official" version have no historical basis. Geography screwed up. Contradictions all over the place. A god with a major mood swing problem.

But honestly, if a 2000 year old book is going to be the sole purpose for faith, a book who's history of (mis)translations and pagan adoptions is going to the end all in what is to be believed or not ... Just ridiculous. If God came down and said to you he was God and you scoffed at him and said yea ok buddy, off to the funny farm with you, my bible says different. Wonder how lightly he'd take it.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   
ProTon, the book which contains the stories about Jesus is a written compilation of tradition and testimony. Siddhartha Guatama was written about, as well as Muhammad. Yes, if one comes from a Christian tradition, one is told to follow Jesus, do what he did, follow his example to love.
I guess I have a different belief re being God; I think we are all God's manifestation in this world. The person who would claim to "be God" probably has a dysfunctional psychological need or a need to get $. I also believe my friend follows Jesus's example. We're all here in Life, we will all be There after Life. I can only use words like Light and dark to explain Heaven and Hell, such is the limit of my vocabulary. I do not believe in Hell as a "place". A successful, wealthy businessman I knew described to me his personal journey to "Hell"; he was an alcoholic and his vision came as he lay (again) on the cold tile floor of his bathroom one morning--he was contained in a circle of darkness, awash in feelings of darkness, with Light beyond. I don't subcribe to the "members only club"-style heaven.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Prot0n:
When you can demonstrate that a person today claiming to be God, has as much supporting his or her claim (regardless of how truthful or accurate it may be) as Jesus does, then I'll listen to you. Until then, your hypocrits conclusion is baseless.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Cause for more thinking--if someone were to come up to me and tell me he was God, I would say, "Oh, good! Come, let us have tea together, as I have something I wanted to discuss with Myself."

Here is another thought brought up by this thread--I believe it would make a difference if the person saying if were a man or a woman.

[edit on 9-4-2006 by desert]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join