It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bird Flu Hits the UK

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
I do hope that people here don't panic but i suppose i am asking a lot from the british public. You only have to say the words bomb, riot, disease, danger or somethign close to those and they panic.

I dont know where you get your info on British panickers from, and no doubt you will Google for some headlines from somewhere, but I think you will find we are famous for NOT panicking.

Hitler didnt shake us, the IRA bombed us to bits and we just carried on shopping, even when Al Quieda blew a few trains up, the wounded lined up for ambulances.

Like when the Titanic went down and the band played on....that kind of panicking you mean? A few scabby geese wont bother us my friend.

Bah, we even got the black death under our belt! Have more faith in your Country man!

Peace
McP.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
am i aware of the plan,
but to me, the plan is a "lack of"

That was what crossed my mind when I first read the article, hence my posting it up sometime ago to get responses.

seekerof

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   
is that action man in that picture above

the only thing that scares us Brits is the sight of the Prime Ministers wife in kinky underwear and the Queen dressed in lethal holding a whip

..once that happens, then we will panic

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mcphisto

I dont know where you get your info on British panickers from, and no doubt you will Google for some headlines from somewhere, but I think you will find we are famous for NOT panicking.

Well said that man. We all love a bit of drama but we will cope and adapt as we always have done.

Dan

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
wow, this is turning out to be some "pandemic" ....

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   
TNT news here; that is Tomorrows News Today, i.e. British tabloids.

800 dead after reading Bird flu has arrived in Britain.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
We shall keep a stiff-upper-lip...which is useful for when your nose runs from having the 'dreaded flu'.

Toodle Pip!

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
the only thing that scares us Brits is the sight of the Prime Ministers wife in kinky underwear and the Queen dressed in lethal holding a whip

..once that happens, then we will panic

Oh great i didn't need the thought of Cherie Blair like that, i'll never sleep now!

I don't want to go off topic here about politics because the mods will no doubt kick my arse, which is fair. I simply have seen the reaction to thing's lately from us brits and many people panic, over react and get far to worked up over very minor issues. As for people lining up for ambulances, yes when attacks actually happen the people head for that sort of thing. People around the world do the same, they head for help, it's not unique to us brits.

Bird flu is a prime example. Listen to the radio and see. A lot of people are already phoning up saying that they won't eat chicken. Parrot and other bird sanctuarys are becoming overcrowded for fear of bird flu. Cat sanctuarys have had an influx since some scientist said that cats have died from it after eating infected birds.

That's why i say people panic and that was all before bird flu came here! Well ok the not eating chicken one is more today.

Oh and my neighbor removed the bird feeder from his garden today as he thought it was dangerous to attract them. I didn't argue with him as it wouldn't do any good. At this stage i think i'll leave mine up. He is an intelligent man though and yet he has been convinced by the media and worried to much.

Have some faith in your country man

I have faith in my country, saying people seem to panic is not saying i don't have faith. I really don't have faith in our government though.

Sorry i went off topic, mods please feel free to slap me.

[edit on 5-4-2006 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   
www.sky.com...

Here is a Video from sky news about the poosible Flu,

there hoping that this would be a wild bird,

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   
FYI - Many birds seem to carry H5N1 bird flu without getting sick - but swans die from it. It's possible that the swan caught the disease from another asymptomatic bird - and may have spread it further to seagulls or other animals that may have fed on its body - one way the pandemic might spread.

"We must interrogate the forensics - how did the bird get there, was this the index case or was it another bird that brought it [the virus] here?” - Dr Freda Scott-Park

The dead swan, which was understood to be decomposed or to have pieces missing, making it difficult to examine, was found at Cellardyke...

Robin Forsyth, 38, said: "I was told that seagulls were dive-bombing the body of the bird."

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Bird-Flu could well have been in the UK avian population for a while.

The Swan is legally protected under The Wildlife Act, and any bird found dead would be taken for autopsy to determine cause of death, and in this particular case, was found to have had contracted and died of the H5 strain, giving the first confirmed avian case in the UK.

What is more disturbing is that Gulls were reported to have been seen eating the carcass of what is now known to be an infected bird, spreading the virus further

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
...the best I have to say about this.

All they need is a damn swan dying of some obscure, isolated virus to make it a global issue get scared, and run for the hills.

Westerners think they're so superior and great, and it only takes a small ridiculous threat or drama to make them panic and go on survival/war-mongering mode... what a bunch of SISSIES we are after all.

[edit on 5/4/06 by Echtelion]

[edit on 6-4-2006 by Byrd]

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Stupid White? is that a racist comment or what?

Anyway, I always considdered the bird-flu crisis to be another hoax ala Y2K...

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
TNT news here; that is Tomorrows News Today, i.e. British tabloids.

800 dead after reading Bird flu has arrived in Britain.

Hoax or what are you're sources?

Thanks

Vitchilo

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 12:50 AM
link   
As if mad cow in our beef wasn't enough, we have this bird flu spreading. I try to be optimistic in a time like this and keep my head up, but what is next? Now we have two animals we have for food that carry a deadly disease or flu. I mean the next thing you know we are going to have something that pigs carry in them. At this rate it seems like eventually all of our meats will be tainted with some virus or disease.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 03:04 AM
link   
It's all a plot by the animal rights groups to turn us all into veggies.
First there was Bse , then there was foot and mouth and now avian flu.
The only thing left now is to come up with a disease for fish and we're reduced to munching on carrots and Linda mcartneys veggie meals.

CX

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 03:32 AM
link   
To quote an extract from that Sky News report.....

"Exercise Hawthorn, the UK's dummy run for a bird flu outbreak which was underway when the swan was found, has been ended early."

Hmmm, so they were in the middle of drills when the REAL THING suddenly happens and the powers to be kick in with thier huge plans to cordon off everywhere and do whatever else they do......where have i heard that one before? Now whilst not quite the same immediate destructive result as 9/11 and 7/7, as we know this has the potential to claim a lot more victims, this could seem like yet another trillion trillion to one coincidence of a drill and the real thing happening at the same time if had my conspiracy theorist head on?!

CX

CX

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 03:45 AM
link   
As i live in the forest, one of my first thoughts to this was "how many foxes have this now?" They go from farm to farm eating chickens and anything else they can find out in the wild. There are going to be loads more carriers than we will have time to monitor.

As hunting has been banned though, i would'nt count on being able to do anything if a fox gets this though!

CX.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I'm watching the official press conference on BBC News 24 now. Basically they don't know whether it's H5N1 until later today, and the bird was actually found on the 29/3, the morning after it was reported. They have restricted the movement of all local poultry and farmers and are spending the day trying to control the spread. In all truth though it's only a matter of time.

[edit on 6-4-2006 by Seen the Future]

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 04:11 AM
link   
The company testing the swan gets on average, 50 dead geese, ducks and swans every week, so why is this swan different?

Unsure as to why the BBC have a live camera crew flying over Cellardyke at the moment. it's not like there is anything to see, the swan was discovered last week.

The British media are rubbing there hands together with glee as they've been waiting to cover a story which has the possibility of having disastrous consequences.

The cordoned off area is only 3kms not 10 as previously stated.

The swan was decomposed and is thought to have been dead for quite sometime.

Until the bird is confirmed as having the H5N1 strain, I consider this story just media hype and scaremongering.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join