It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada: Famous Person As Premier??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I've got a question about the Canadian Government. Now, in th USA Minnesota has had a former wrestler, Jesse Ventura, as the Governor and California has actor Arnold Schwarzenegger as their Governor. So, my question to Canada is what would you think about having a famous person, like an actor/wrestler, as a Premier in Canada be like. If you would like to see it happen you would you like to see become Premier? And do you think it will happen in Canada?

[edit on 5-4-2006 by The_Truth_Seeker]

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Being famous and being famous in Canada are two different things.

Ashley McIsaac and David Foster have shown interest in running our country someday. Foster perhaps but Ashely McIsaac, no.

I can't think of any Canadian celebrities that would be qualified for the job. For pure entertainment value, you couldn't do better than Don Cherry.

I don't really see us electing any sort of celebrity as a Premier. If it did happen anywhere, it would be in BC. This province does the stupidest things when it comes to voting. :shk:

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey

I can't think of any Canadian celebrities that would be qualified for the job. For pure entertainment value, you couldn't do better than Don Cherry.

Frankly, I am hard-pressed to think of any Canadian politician that is qualified for the job unless, of course, graft, embezzlement, nepotism and the desire to serve one's own interests are qualities that make a good Canadian leader (please note that, for the most part, this statement can easily be applied to the United States or, for that matter, any other country in the world).

As far as I am concerned Don Cherry is as "qualified" as the next guy. That is, if Don is willing to put up with bi-partisan in-fighting aimed simply at getting one's own party in power at the expense of actually being concerned with issues and interests that would benefit the citizens of Canada.

As far as I am concerned, the only quality that I look for in a leader is someone who has a genuine interest to "make things better" for one's own people and to not make things worse for the rest of the world.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Don Cherry for Prime Minister !

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I'm thinkin' Rick Mercer or George Strombolpolus... Maybe Mike Smith from TPB? Better yet Gordon Pinsent... he played Quentin Jurgens MP on CBC in the 60's... better yet his daughter, she's smart and not unpleasant to talk to... seriously, I hope we're not headed the way of "celebo-politicos" though.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Well for me it would all depend on the famous person. Some might be good leaders, some not.

Majic's Political Easter Egg: Be the first to post the name of the famous actor David Foster struck with his car in 1992 in this thread and send Majic a U2U with a link to your post, and you will be awarded 500 PTS points.

[edit on 7/15/2006 by Majic]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Ken Drydon has been elected as a Liberal, though running the leafs is like running a country so he may be passable. Can't get much worse than Martin or Harper though(actually it can, Ignatieff could be the next leader :shudder

Currently the only politician I can stomach is Layton, and that's cuz I know that he'll never be in a position to really screw things up, so he stay's with the progressive angle.

I actually look foward to how the Cons and NDP get along in the next few months. The last time they held a position this powerful, they got a lot of their agenda passed through.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Excuse me? For the sake of an ignorant yank, could you possibly give a thumbnail discription of some of these folks you're talking about? Pretty please?

I could look them up, but it's so much more fun to beg

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Americans actually read Canadian political threads?!?!?

A quick rundown:

Ashley MacIsaac

Ashley is a professional fiddler from Nova Scotia who creates much controversy. Some highlights from Wikipedia:

He elicited a considerable amount of controversy in 1996, after being interviewed by Maclean's for their best of the year section, when he told the Maclean's interviewer that he had previously discussed his sexual life, including his underage boyfriend and his taste for urolagnia, in an interview with the LGBT newsmagazine The Advocate. For its part, The Advocate did not print any of the controversial assertions, but Maclean's dropped him from the list and instead wrote a disparaging article on him.
In 1997, he gave a lewd performance, complete with swear words and flashing, at an all-ages venue in Fort Erie. Shortly thereafter, Ashley fought successfully to be independent of his record label and was dropped from Universal Music. He subsequently signed with the independent label Loggerhead Records for his 1999 album Helter's Celtic. During the promotional tour for that album, he revealed to the press that he had previously battled an addiction to crack coc aine.

Also in 1999, MacIsaac again gave a controversial performance at a show in Halifax, in which his entire performance consisted of a 20-minute rant containing numerous expletives and, allegedly, several racist statements. In 2003, MacIsaac was again alleged to have made racist statements on stage, at a show where he reportedly accused an Asian woman in the audience of spreading SARS. He subsequently stated that the comment was intended as a "parody" of racism, and sued the Ottawa Citizen for misrepresenting the statement as racist.

David Foster

David Foster is an award-winning musician, composer and producer. He is also very active in charitable works.

From Wikipedia:

For his work supporting research into children's cancer, leukemia, and AIDS, in 1997 David Foster was honored with the United States Children's Choice Award from the Neil Bogart Memorial Fund. Both Foster and his wife are involved in a number of humanitarian causes and wrote the song "Voices That Care" which they donated to the American Red Cross and the United Service Organizations (USO). In his native Canada, Foster established the David Foster Foundation Society, giving generously of his time and talent to raise money to assist families of British Columbia children who require organ transplants.

In recognition of his achievements and humanitarian work, David Foster was made an Officer of the Order of Canada, his country's highest civilian honor, and was given an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Victoria. He has a star on Canada's Walk of Fame, was awarded the Order of British Columbia and was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame.

Don Cherry

Don Cherry aka Grapes is a former hockey player, former coach of the Bruins and has a show called Coaches Corner that is on during Hockey Night in Canada. He also has a show called The Grapevine (is that still on the air?), a chain of restaurants that bear his name and a series of hockey videos called 'Rock em, Sock em Hockey'. He is active in charitable works and has an unnatural fascination with Doug Gilmour. You either love him or hate him. I love him.

He was voted the 7th greatest Canadian in a nation-wide poll.

Again, highlights from Wikipedia:

In January, 2004 Cherry's statement that the majority of people that wear visors were "European or French [Canadian] guys" triggered an investigation by the federal Official Languages Commissioner, and protests by French-Canadians. CBC consequently imposed a seven-second delay on Hockey Night in Canada. He was somewhat vindicated when a study was published that showed the majority of visor users in the NHL were indeed French-Canadians and Europeans.
During the 2002 Winter Olympics, the Russian delegation was allegedly threatening to withdraw because of perceived bias against them when their athletes tested positive for illegal drugs. On live TV, Cherry said "I've been trying to tell you people for so long about the Russians, what kind of people they are, and you just love them in Canada with your multiculturalism. They're quitters and evidently they take a lot of drugs, too." After some outrage in the Russian-Canadian community, he was forced to apologize. Some critics still thought that apology wasn't sufficient, even though some others, such as Toronto Maple Leafs player Alexander Mogilny, dismissed Cherry's comments as insignificant, calling him a "clown".

I'll fill in the rest later, if nobody else does it first.

[edit on 10-4-2006 by Duzey]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Mario Lemieux, I know he doesn't live here anymore but he's still one of my
favorite Canadians, very smart man and a great sense of fairplay. Any guy willing to take a huge personal expense to save his team shows the integrity for a great leader.

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 12:18 AM
link   
These little mini-bios are kind of fun.

Rick Mercer

Rick Mercer is the #1 comedian and political satirist in Canada and star of the Rick Mercer Report. His latest stunt was to offer The Rick Mercer Report Liberal Leadership Kit for sale on eBay.

Looking for a new challenge? Why not become leader of the Liberal Party? It is possible with the Rick Mercer Report Liberal leadership kit.
Kit includes:

* Fifteen minute consultation/conference call with the RMR writing staff to craft your campaign message. (Staff includes three high school dropouts and a U of T commerce major. Photo not to scale.)

* The use of our colour printer for photos and such. Ink cartridge is running low on magenta.

That should be enough to put you in charge of what was, until recently, a major Canadian political party. So take the plunge and become Liberal leader.

George Stroumboulopoulos

George Stroumboulopoulos is a former host with MuchMusic (kind of like MTV but with more videos than shows) and now has a current events show called The Hour.

Mike Smith

Mike Smith is a Gemini award-winning comedian and plays Bubbles on the Trailer Park Boys. A Gemini award is like an Emmy, but for Canadian TV.

Gordon Pinsent

external image

Gordon Pinsent is an actor, producer and writer. He's been on lots of different shows, and has been steadily working since 1968. He would make a nice, dignified looking leader.

imdb.com

[edit on 11-4-2006 by Duzey]

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Jim Carrey For Prime Minister!!!

If a famous Canadian were to become Prime Ministor or Premier I'd like to see Jim Carrey do it. He has been nominated for 6 Golden Globes and has won 2 of them and has been nominated for an Academy Award and Screen Actors Guild Award.

[edit on 12-4-2006 by The_Truth_Seeker]

[edit on 26-4-2006 by The_Truth_Seeker]

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Jim Carrey is Canadian? Huh, had no idea. Shows how much attention I pay to Hollywood and associated entertainment stuff.

The rest of these folks are, well, interesting. Not to put too fine a point on it. Not too strange that hockey players, both former and current, figure in the discussion.

Ashley MacIssac? I suppose it shouldn't come as a big surprise that I have never heard of the guy? Rick Mercer, I have actually heard of, don't know much about him, but at least I've heard of him.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
Don Cherry for Prime Minister !

I'll second that motion!!
Anything to put a person in power who actually has the gonads to say what they really want to say, not just what everybody wants to hear! I think its a great idea!!!

Well... As long as it says "Grapes" on the ballot anyways........

[edit on 25-4-2006 by jta79]

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Mike Smith

Mike Smith is a Gemini award-winning comedian and plays Bubbles on the Trailer Park Boys. A Gemini award is like an Emmy, but for Canadian TV.

but no..

As a canadian i'd vote for David Suzuki maybe
www.davidsuzuki.org...

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
If these 3 men held a joint leadership of the country all our problems would be solved!

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Ken Dryden won 5(i think) Stanley Cups as the goaltender of the Montrael Canadians. Was also part of the 72 Summit Series.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Hey, let's not forget Enza:

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Bret the hitman Hart for prime ... plz

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Majic's Political Easter Egg: Be the first to post the name of the famous actor David Foster struck with his car in 1992 in this thread and send Majic a U2U with a link to your post, and you will be awarded 500 PTS points.

[edit on 7/15/2006 by Majic]

Ben Vereen

[edit on 2007/2/26 by JacKatMtn]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join