It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The kitten of my cat was eaten into half!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
April 5 morning, I checked the three kittens(about 1 1/2 weeks old) of my cat and found out that there was a missing one. When I looked beside the other two kittens, I saw the lower body of the missing kitten. At first, I thought it was just hiding its upper body under the newspaper on the floor but when I got closer, I realized that it was "half-eaten"! I could see some of the kitten's internal organs with blood on the newspaper. I got rid of it because I thought I was going to puke. lols

My question is: COULD A BIG RAT EAT A LITTLE KITTEN? This is my question 'coz last week I saw a big rat coming in our house and our cat was very afraid of it. Usually, my cat would chase down little ones but the big one was a definitely big trouble for her. Pity for my kitty.

Please help me with this. My first time to post a thread here but a loyal fan of abovetopsecret.com.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
It could have been the mother that did this. Maybe she thought the kitten was weaker than the rest.
Nature being nature, as cruel as it sometimes seems, maybe she knew that it was pointless suckling a weak kitten and got rid of it to help the others.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Yeah. Many times the mother of a litter will kill the "runt" of the group. I suppose they do this under the assumption that the smallest of the creatures will not survive anyway. Although,most of the time they do.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Mothers will also eat a kitten or kittens if there is a shortage of food or if the mother herself is old or ill.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie
It could have been the mother that did this. Maybe she thought the kitten was weaker than the rest.
Nature being nature, as cruel as it sometimes seems, maybe she knew that it was pointless suckling a weak kitten and got rid of it to help the others.

Oh, too sad.
I did not mention that I felt that it could have been the mother who did that. I hope it was not her but if it is true then I would just accept the fact.
I am just afraid that the same thing would happen to the other two kittens if it was not her mother who did that. Too sad.

Thanks Bikereddie for the info.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Not a problem.

I doubt the mother would kill the others, so long as they are strong enough.

Keep an eye on the kittens, if one looks lethargic, then take it away and feed it milk supplied from the veterinary clinic. They will sort the right stuff out for you.

As i said before, nature is cruel, but very effective in the long run.
Good luck with the kittens.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
You stated that you found the lower body of the kitten, but did you find the skull???

The mother will not consume the skull, they will eat the soft tissue first, and if it was missing you would have to assume that another animal removed it from the scene.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   
"The kitten of my cat was eaten into half!"

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMY!:shk:

I've never heard of domesticated animals doing this kind of thing but I guess they do. Sounds like something you'd see on Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. What the hell happened.......................did you run out of Fancy Feast or something?

Remember........Bob Barker says "spay and neuter you pets".

Peace

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
DrLove,

Thank you for using self control today and not posting what i thought you were going to post.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Dg

Bob Barker should thank me too.

Peace

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   
i have reared kittens alot, so yes this sounds like the mother ate the baby,

The mother probabley realized that the baby was not healthy and would die, this is why the mother does this,

Also Do not touch the kittens untill there a little older and dont bother the mother to much, otherwise it is another reason mothers eat there young,

If you need any other help and advise please be sure to let me know

Asala

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Yes as others have said if the kitten is smaller and weaker or even smells different the mother would eat the young.

There is nothing wrong with the mother cat it is her natural instinct to do this.....

A good point Asala made was do not touch the kittens....

Oni x x

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Reminds me of a time my hamster gave birth to about 8 babies... A few days later there were 5 left.

They were soooooooo cute.

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
You stated that you found the lower body of the kitten, but did you find the skull???

The mother will not consume the skull, they will eat the soft tissue first, and if it was missing you would have to assume that another animal removed it from the scene.

Anxietydisorder--
I’s going to ask whether or not a male cat had access to the place, since they’re in the habit of killing the kittens. As a schoolboy it happened at home. We found all the kittens BEHEADED and scattered about. After that horrible incident, every time there was a new litter I'd take the box up to my room, where it would stay for months.

A documentary once explained that lions do this too, with cubs that are not theirs, so that the lioness will again start ovulating and he can then sire some of his own and pass on his genes.

You say that some other animal did it and carried away the skull since the mother couldn’t’ve eaten the skull. However, at that age bones are soft and easily swallowed, so it could’ve been the mother, too.
There’s also the question, Do they have a butler in the house? It’s a rather sick world, you know....

new topics

top topics

join