It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS glitch on new page in Threads?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Ok I see this happening on a regular basis and I am just wondering if the Staff is aware of it.

Obviosly every 20 posts a new page is created within a thread, however on the first post of a newly created page you are not directed to it. You are taken to the last post on the previous page so alot of times your post goes unnoticed. As the next member who comes along is probably going to skip over your post as well.

Is their any way of addressing this, or is this something we deal with and move on.

This is not a rant or complaint in any way, just curious if this is being acknowledged and already been addressed maybe.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   
It is always a good idea to read at least the last 10-20 posts on a thread before commenting, so personally, I dont see placement of a post as a crucial element.
we do get some redundancy... but no biggie...

Of course, we know that many posters will post away from reading either the first post, or the last post, and not really get the gist of where the thread has progressed... or why...

that makes for some wierdly random comments sometimes.

What i would like to see is a "update post" by the author, or other active poster, that sums up the main points thus far on really big threads...(ones with 5 or more pages)
a summary update every couple of pages would be nice...

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Yeah that really would be helpful to new members coming into a thread a few pages in.

If I am jumping into a thread for the first time and it has been running for a period of time I always do a run through to see what has and has not been discussed.

But the purpose of the thread was to wonder why when a new page is created, the members are not directed to the new page until the second post on it.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   

..the members are not directed to the new page until the second post on it

If I understand you correctly, then I can say I've never encountered the problem you speak of. Can you clarify exactly what you mean by "directed to it"? From what link are you accessing a thread?

Clicking a thread title link always takes me to the first page.

Clicking the double arrow >> in subscribed threads/forums in MyATS always takes me to the last post in the thread.

Clicking page number links always takes me to the first post on that specific page.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   
One happened to me just a few minutes ago, but its no longer a valid example due to the post.

So to attempt to explain it better, Lets say a thread has 59 posts. I post and create the 60th which would create a new page. Moments later you come along to read what has been said recently, you will be directed to the 3rd page where it finishes up with the 59th post, rather than the newly created 4th page by my 60th reply.

If that makes any sence.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Again, what link are you clicking that is taking you there?

Are you clicking the double arrow link like this:

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
OK I see what your saying.

I normally view the New Posts and explore through their. So I guess when looking in here, the new page does not show up as a clickable link until the page has recieved more than one post.

This must only occur through the New Post section.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Could be. Not to make light of your problem, but I must say I've never noticed it, and judging by the tumbleweeds in this thread, it's not a common complaint.
Even if it does happen as you say, I'd say 99.9% of people would notice the extra number at the top where the page number links are and won't miss any posts.

I'll watch from now on to see if I can notice it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

[edit on 2006-4-5 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Yeah this is far from a major problem or something people probably notice on a regular basis.

I was just curious if anybody else experienced this or if it had been addressed.

Could you close this thread out wcip?

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   
No, it's not not one of my forums.

Just let it go, no worries.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   
chissler is not crazy!

Well at least not because of this observation! lol

I noticed the same thing a couple of times.

[edit on 4/5/2006 by Mechanic 32]

top topics

join