It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Before we trash space...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 06:45 AM
link   
...shouldn't we sort things out on this planet first?
Space agencies spend billions of dollers every year on space exploration, but would it not make sense to spend that money on Earth?
Some things like communications sattelites are essential to modern life but is it really neccessery to send probes to Mars and other planets?
I mean what do we really learn from the information beemed back to Earth apart from 'Oh! What a lovley rock formation over there by the other rocks.' and 'Wow! would you take a look at those rocks.'
Wouldn't the money be better spent on the helping our brother man?

I know I sound like a hippy but I really feel strongly about this.

Your comments please.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 06:49 AM
link   
To study the origins of the universe is to study the origins of ourselves. A better proposition would be to cut a few billion dollars from the cost of the war and send that to cleaning up Earth. If you compare the budget of NASA to the DoD, you'll see who has more to spare.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
To study the origins of the universe is to study the origins of ourselves. A better proposition would be to cut a few billion dollars from the cost of the war and send that to cleaning up Earth. If you compare the budget of NASA to the DoD, you'll see who has more to spare.

I thought that antimatter created the 'Big Bang' and so the universe, i could be wrong though. I agree with you 100% on the budget cuts for the DoD but at the same time shouldnt we wait for some stability on planet Earth before taking our wars into space?

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ELMO777
...Space agencies spend billions of dollers every year on space exploration, but would it not make sense to spend that money on Earth?
Your comments please.

Most of the money space agencies are spending are not for space exploration (that's what is said for public consumption): The real objective for that money was, and still is "STAR WARS" and other high tech military equipment. Space exploration is just a front door, for people to see it and believe it.

Crustas

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I don't think we're bringing wars into space, aside from the local space just outside the atmosphere. To be perfectly honest, I think studying the universe and it's oragins will bring mankind together if anything.

I remember reading The Watchmen and getting an idea. The issue involved a grotesque multidemensional monster attacking the world. The monster was actually planted by Ozymandias to unite the world under a common enemy. That's when I realized, that whatever we find out there is not going to affect one race/religion/country, it will affect all. It's a better chance for unity than anything else I can think of.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by crustas
Most of the money space agencies are spending are not for space exploration (that's what is said for public consumption): The real objective for that money was, and still is "STAR WARS" and other high tech military equipment. Space exploration is just a front door, for people to see it and believe it.

Crustas

WTF is Star Wars? Are they building a death star up there or something?

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by crustas

Crustas

WTF is Star Wars? Are they building a death star up there or something?

Hehehehehe yes they had already spent enough $ to build a Dart Vader's Death Star

The Star wars project, initially, was to protect the US and Canada with a anti nuclear missile defense. I believe by now, other objectives have been added to the innital project.

Some links:

LASER WEAPON TECHNOLOGY AND THE STAR WARS PROGRAM
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Who could effectively win in a nuclear war. US or Russia.

What is the History of the Missile Defense Agency?

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   
This is what i mean, our technology is evolving but we aren't. Why is so much time, effort and funding being put into this when we need to adress problems like global warming, ending wars, the shrinking rainforests, poverty and famine. The technology wont be much use without people and resources.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
We where building star wars to defend ourselves, besides look at all the space program has brought us. You think space is expensive look at welfare, Medicare, gov loans, and ya DoD. So what if I gave you a billion dollars how could you invest it to help evolve us as a people? The fact is money will never help us as a people if you think about it. Why do you blame space why not blame poverty or war. The goal of space is a driving force for the US when we landed on the moon do you think there was not 1 American that didn’t wish he could be there 2? No if anything space will be the thing that brings us together not what destroys us.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
The budget for space seems to be comparatively small compared to funding for other programs. There would seem to be many other programs that could have cuts made in their budgets to meet these goals.
More money could easily be put into programs to help to the environmental problems, but with politicians being influenced by special interest groups, and the money they spend to help promote their cause, our environmental problems will be downplayed and ignored.
It is through greed and short term gains that the destruction of environment continues at an ever growing pace.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   

This is what i mean, our technology is evolving but we aren't. Why is so much time, effort and funding being put into this when we need to adress problems like global warming, ending wars, the shrinking rainforests, poverty and famine. The technology wont be much use without people and resources.

We live in an age where we are able to focus on more than one area. Just because the human race is advancing in an area such as space exploration, this doesn't go to say other areas are being neglected. Humans aren't always interested in the same thing. Somebody obsessed with space won't neccessarily care about the environment... and it's their choice. You can't just tell them to drop their degree in Astronomy to go and tie themselves to some trees

top topics

join