It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any post-rock fans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Hey fairly new here but thought I'd give a thread a shot

Anyway, are there any fans of the post-rock movement here. I realize post-rock is a stupid term but what I'm referring to is Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed and A silver Mt zion, and Tortoies. Anyway, these are some of the more bigger players in the movement, I know there a lot more but the above mentioned is what I listen to. Also Isis is good if you like incredibly metal rock that's mostly instrumental (Pelican too)

I guess the point of this thread was for me to see if there is any interest out there, I'll help you get started if you're interested in finding things. Also I realise there are many music afficianodos who know more than me about this and was wondering if they can recommend anything.

Thank you

[edit on 5-4-2006 by Kwyjibo]

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I haven't given it much listening time, but I have a soft spot for it. Pelican are absolutely fantastic, and I reccomend anyone looking to change their "rock direction" to give them a listen.

Mogwai I have heard a lot of hype about, but never acually got anything by them. As for Isis.....absolutely excellent. A superb band, who I only heard of about 2 years ago.

Some more good bands I would reccomend in that vein are: Taint, Aereogramme and Botch. Especially Taint, their new album is an absolute classic and I can't reccomend it enough if you are looking for something new in this area of music

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Right here my friend. I like the edgier side: Botch, ISIS, Kill Sadie, Pelican, These Arms Are Snakes, Old Man Gloom. Your list is filled with as much talent, you like the epic sound of rock.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Chebob and Street Scholar,

Thank you for the responses. Seems ya'll are more into the heavier side of "post rock," which is cool. I've only recently discovered Isis and Pelican so I'm a bit behind the curve. The bands I listed (in first post) were more jangly guitars/hippie stuff I listen to while mellowing out (while getting intoxicated on music apprecating substances). Anyway, I'll definetly check out the bands listed. Unfortunately the record stores around where I live (MA) don't carry much of these bands. I'll try downloading some samples but my "awesome" computer speakers don't really do the music justice. Anyway, thanks for the recomendations and I'm sorry I couldn't make this more discussable but live and learn, eh?

Thank you!

[edit on 5-4-2006 by Kwyjibo]

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Hey all, sorry to be wicked cool and respond to myself in my own thread but the purpose I started it was to see if anyone's picked up Mogwai's new record or have any idea if Godspeed is releasing anything soon. I know most of them are in a silver mt zion now so are they done with godspeed? Also I heard Isis was going to team up with the Melvins, any clues on what thats about.

Thanx

new topics

top topics

join