It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stryker Trophy System Destroys RPGs at First U.S. Live-Fire Tests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Stryker Trophy System Destroys RPGs at First U.S. Live-Fire Tests

DAHLGREN: The Trophy Active Protection System (APS) designed to protect vehicles from rocket or missile attacks was successfully demonstrated for the first time on U.S. soil at the Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC) Dahlgren Division March 30.

More than 100 visitors, including U.S. and international military dignitaries, observed the testing that culminated with a live-fire demonstration of the Trophy APS-equipped Stryker combat vehicle that was on the move when it detected, tracked and defeated an inert incoming rocket propelled grenade....

....Integrated on heavy, medium and light platforms, Trophy APS is currently ready for deployment against all types of high explosive anti-tank (HEAT) threats, including all known types of anti-tank guided missiles, anti-tank rockets and tank HEAT rounds. The Trophy APS Hard Kill system operates in three major stages: threat detection, threat tracking followed by Hard Kill mechanism activation, and threat neutralization by a countermeasure. The neutralization process takes place only if the threat is about to hit the platform....

...."The technologies are ready," he stressed. "We're doing the integration at Dahlgren and are working with multiple labs from all the services."

THE WHOLE ARTICLE

Well well, I wonder how soon this system will be deployed to Iraq. Looks like they've been able not just to talk the talk, but now they can walk the walk

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Interesting if it works.

But......... Will it frag infantry in the same location when it goes off? and will it work in an urban environment?

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Interesting if it works.

But......... Will it frag infantry in the same location when it goes off? and will it work in an urban environment?

GD plans to introduce the system with every new and existing combat vehicle it produces, including Stryker, M-1A2 and FCS. According to GD officials, the system can be adapted to US requirements and enter production within two years. The system has completed hundreds of live test with the Israel Defense Forces and demonstrated effective neutralization of anti-tank rockets and guided missiles, high safety levels, insignificant residual penetration and minimal collateral damage....

.... Specific details about the composition and mechanism of this explosive interceptor device are vague. From the briefing provided by US sources, Defense Update understands that Trophy is design to form a "beam" of fragments, which will intercept any incoming HEAT threat, including RPG rockets at a range of 10 – 30 meters from the protected platform. The Trophy development roadmap considers an enhanced countermeasure unit to be available in the future, and protect against kinetic energy (KE) threats. Trophy was designed to effectively operate in a dense urban environment, where armored vehicles operate closely with integrated infantry forces. Therefore, direction, formation and energy of the fragments areMerkava 3 with prototype Trophy APS Ssytem demonstrated at LIC 2005 designed to ensure effective target kill with low collateral damage, and low risk to nearby troops. While not in use, the system is maintained in the stowed position, protected by an armor shield. The system has an automatic reload mechanism to handle multiple attacks.

www.defense-update.com...

M6D

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 07:44 AM
link   
any chance of bigger pictures anywhere?!

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Here's a video of Trophy: media2.foxnews.com...

Illustration and actual footage.

seekerof

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Here's a video of Trophy: media2.foxnews.com...

Illustration and actual footage.

seekerof

Good find seekerof, at first it looks like some images and videos show nothing when the warhead being turned into scrap metal, now I know its more like bullet hitting another bullet. I would have been shocked if it was really a bubble shield.

[edit on 11-4-2006 by deltaboy]

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
kinda makes it interesting to gues what the countermeasure itself is. Ultrasound? Ballistic? Directed energy? Stolen Martian death rays? magic gnomes with big hammers?

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Hi guys, it's a double post, the original post is here;

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Link to Trophy description -

Defense Update understands that Trophy is design to form a "beam" of fragments, which will intercept any incoming HEAT threat, including RPG rockets at a range of 10 – 30 meters from the protected platform.

My post from the other thread covers it all.

Guys, sorry to even further burst your collective bubble, but Trophy is a "re-manufactured" Shtora and Arena type defense system.

Rafael division in Israel does in fact produce such equivalent, because the plans were "acquired" from a Ukrainian T80UD plant, and do to practically non-existent intellectual property laws in Israel, a French Rafael division can manufacture such a system in Israel in accordance with laxed Israeli laws, and the market the product world wide.

No beams, no lasers, just what Russians have been working on for years, made in Israel by Rafael. Thus the apparent fragmentation problems.

For years Russians could not make the system safe for the infantry while retaining its anti-missile effectiveness, and therefore could not field the system safely along infantry units.

Information regarding the means by which they finally solved the problem, apparently did not "make" its way into Israeli hands, thus the stated "problems".

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Oh my God I just actually watched the FOX "report". The whole thing is a blistering out right lie! Magic beams, force field bubbles? Jesus! What an insult to the people, but hey, that's what FOX does.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by iskander
Hi guys, it's a double post, the original post is here;

Link to Trophy description -

My post from the other thread covers it all.

Erm, yes - your reply which I comprehensively refuted
This is getting very old.

Originally posted by mad scientist

Originally posted by iskander
Guys, sorry to even further burst your collective bubble, but Trophy is a "re-manufactured" Shtora and Arena type defense system.

You're joking I hope. The Shtora system resembles nothing like the Trophy - it uses a variety of devices to spoof guided anti-tank missiles, not physically destroy them and as such is completely useless against unguided weapons such as RPG-7's.

As for teh Arena system, it seems it may never have been deplyed or developed to an operational state. Whilst the idea is the same as the Trophy it didn't have 360 degree coverage and seems to be somewhat less effective.

Rafael division in Israel does in fact produce such equivalent, because the plans were "acquired" from a Ukrainian T80UD plant, and do to practically non-existent intellectual property laws in Israel, a French Rafael division can manufacture such a system in Israel in accordance with laxed Israeli laws, and the market the product world wide.

Hmm, the idea of this type of active defence has been bandies around cetain countries for years. Saying it's stealing is like saying, everyone stole the assault rifle from the germans ( Stg-44 ). Also, the Isreali's have actually produced a woring reliable system, seems the ERussians gaven't especially since they don't appear to have deployed them in either Chechan Wars.

For years Russians could not make the system safe for the infantry while retaining its anti-missile effectiveness, and therefore could not field the system safely along infantry units.

Information regarding the means by which they finally solved the problem, apparently did not "make" its way into Israeli hands, thus the stated "problems".

BTW, do you have a link to the website where you got this inforamtion from ?

Seems all I'm doing is cleaning up your mess. You obviously agree with all my replies, as you never respond. It must be nice to be completely oblivious to reality - but hey, keep living in your fantasy.

[edit on 16-4-2006 by mad scientist]

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Is this, by any chance, related to this...

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Just out of curiosity

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
Is this, by any chance, related to this...

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Just out of curiosity

Nope, but a great link though, thanks.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   
mad (as angry or crazy?)scientist, you are correct here;

"You obviously agree with all my replies, as you never respond."

I do agree that responding to you (or your other "rouge" personality) will only lead to a petty quibble and I will only end up being insulted and harassed through U2Us.

Been there, done that, no thanks.

"Seems all I'm doing is cleaning up your mess."

I see that the chip is just getting bigger, so I can only advise you to take your crusade up a notch or to, and just take it up as a full time job, because you'll be "cleaning up" not just for me, but for a whole defense and journalism industry.

Here, literally the 1st freaking link from Google, and please stop bothering me, please, I beg of you.

As the charge explodes, it throws a deadly hail of fragments downward, to shutter and destroy the incoming projectile. The system is capable of engaging incoming missiles, at speeds ranging from 70 to 700 meters per second. The system creates a virtual "cone" shaped shield at a radius of 20-30 meters from the tank, and its response time, from target detection to destruction is 0.07 seconds.[/ex]

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Reactive armor has existed on armored vehicles for a while, this is just a lighter form of it.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Official Trophy Thread

I've closed some other Trophy threads and pointed them here, so if it's about Trophy, this is the place.

Meanwhile, there's been some sniping in this thread and some much worse examples in some of the other threads. Let's please remember that in this forum, Weaponry is on-topic and other members are not. And of course...

Courtesy Is Mandatory

So please be nice, lest I be forced to activate my own "Trollphy" system.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Okay I just saw a news article saying that Raytheon got a $70 million contract to build a tank defense system from scratch (which will finish in 2011), instead of using the Israeli built Trophy which is already working.

Do they care more about money than saving the soldiers' lives in Iraq and Afghanistan???

Army shuns system to combat RPGs:
Experts agree it might help save lives, so why isn’t it in the field?

More links:

www.defensetech.org...

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 11:31 PM
link   
talk about confusion. now im confused. earlier today i posted this thread

and i think i was wrong about trophy being made by rafael of israel. that might be the shtora system im thinking of.

anyway i read the article on msnbc today, and it sounds like a possible military industrial complex type deal. it made me mad for sure, thats why i posted my thread. sorry mods for the confusion.

top topics

join