It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Colt MARS (Mini Assault Rifle System)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 01:42 AM
link   
aka Project MARS..

'The Colt MARS (Mini Assault Rifle System) was conceived by LTC Michael R. Harris, AUS (ret.). His goal was to develop a weapon to replace 9mm pistols and submachine guns among the military, special police and security forces. The system, with its unique 5.56x30mm ammunition would match the speed and accuracy of AK-type threat weapons. Pivotal to attaining this goal was the development of a small, powerful cartridge capable of producing the energy and pressures required for an AR-15 type mechanism. This was accomplished by taking advantage of the higher-energy densities of modern ball powders, employing magnum pistol-type powders burned at rifle pressures. Mike took his cartridge and system concept to Colt Firearms. Colt engineers perfected a scaled-down weapon with an 11-inch barrel, collapsible stock and other unique internal features, realizing Mike's goals. The firearm and its cartridge were awarded patent number 5,827,992 on October 27, 1998. It was assigned to Colt's Manufacturing Company. During development three guns, various test barrels and experimental lots of ammunition were fabricated. The weapon system is not slated for commercial development at this time due to financial constraints.

Our interest is focused on the special, patented cartridge that makes this weapon system work. Quoting from the patent we note ?the modified firearm of the invention utilizes a novel cartridge which has been developed to provide a more compact weapon, while maintaining its lethality and increasing the number of rounds that can be carried on a mission without any increase in overall weight to the soldier. This novel cartridge also takes up less volume per round. ?The MARS cartridge is the center of the concept in developing the revolutionary system of the invention. Rather than the 55 grain M193 bullet with a Ballistic Coefficient (BC) of only 0.243, the 5.56x30mm MARS uses a commercially available 55 grain full metal jacket bullet with a BC of 0.272. This produces a flatter trajectory and retains more energy to deliver to the target than an M193 bullet launched at the same velocity. The cartridge is loaded with 16.8 grains of a commercially available ball powder to provide a 2600 ft/sec velocity with complete burning resulting in a low muzzle flash when compared to an M193 or M855 bullet (sic) fired in an 11 inch barrel. ?

The MARS cartridge case is unique in the efficiency of the design. The 300m range, penetration and lethality are based on launching the 55-grain projectile at 2600+ ft/sec. The cartridge neck is only long enough to support the bearing surface of the 55-grain full metal jacket bullet, which runs from the cannelure groove to the slope of the boat tail. This is the shortest neck of any military cartridge. ?The angle of the shoulder of the cartridge, taken from a longitudinal axis thereof, is 30 degrees. This is the steepest shoulder that can be mass-produced and allows for maximum powder capacity. The body has less taper than the M193 or M855 bullet (sic) since the short case has less surface area friction to overcome during extraction. The case head and wall thickness retain military and SAAMI (Small Arms and Manufacturers Institute) specifications to ensure a safe operating pressure of 55,000 psi. The cartridge is loaded to an overall length of 1.7 inches. The size and shape enhance the feeding over the M193 and M855 type cartridges. Military and SAAMI specifications are used on 5.56x30mm MARS cartridge wall thickness to include side walls, shoulder and case mouth. Most of the experimental 5.56x30mm MARS ammunition that was ever produced has been expended in testing and demonstrations. Early production was on U S military brass with headstamps such as WCC 93 (NATO mark). Later rounds are based on commercial WINCHESTER and R - P 223 REM brass. Rounds observed to date have been Ball and Tracer (red tip M196 type) on commercial R - P brass, Ball on commercial WINCHESTER brass, and various types of Dummy on both commercial R -P and military brass.

Magazine articles have also pictured or alluded to: 40-grain Blitz bullet, 40-grain VMAX, 62-grain SS109, 45-grain APDS (appears to be Armor Piercing Discarding Sabot). The label from a container of Ball loaded on R-P brass states PROTOTYPE COLT MARS CARTRIDGE CALIBER 5.56 CASE n/a BULLET TYPE W/W FMJ BULLET WEIGHT 55 POWDER TYPE 680 POWDER WEIGHT 15.8 PRIMER TYPE 7 1/2 SEATING DEPTH n/a VELOCITY n/a WARNING: LOADED ONLY FOR COLT MINI ASSAULT RIFLE AND NOT FOR USE IN ANY OTHER FIREARM. The next step in taking advantage of the MARS system was to be the development of same-length larger caliber rounds for close range, rapid incapacitation situations. Before the project was shelved two rounds had been prototyped which, in test barrels, developed the high pressures required to potentially operate the mechanism. Both rounds are loaded on Starline *---* 10mm MAG brass. The 9mm round has just enough neck to hold the 124-grain bullet, thus maximizing powder capacity, and is loaded to the same overall length as the 5.56 round. The 10mm round has a blunter, 180-grain bullet. It has been observed in loaded and no-primer dummy configuration. A partial label from the latter states PROTOTYPE COLT MARS CARTRIDGE CALIBER 10mm CASE Starline BULLET TYPE TC POWDER TYPE n/a PRIMER TYPE n/a VELOCITY n/a WARNING: LOADED ONLY FOR COLT M... RIFLE AND NOT FOR USE IN ANY OTHER ..... A duplex load with two 130-grain bullets was discussed but not seen.'

Now,

What i want is to somebody to 'leak' me some more detailed info about the weapon itself..

And somekinds of pics or drawings would be nice..

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I thought MARS stood for-
Multipurpose Aiming Reflex Sight...
wait a minute...

Nice call, I personally prefur La France M16K.
Never had any problms with that one.

[Edited on 13-10-2003 by ADVISOR]

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 02:13 AM
link   
What i have read about MARS,

It is quite like 'La France M16K' and others..

Just uses smaller ammo..

But i have never seen a single pic about it..

And i want this to change..

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I searched for 30 mins on two different search engines and its impossible to find a picture on it...sorry.

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Well, I think it is only availible in conversion kits.

Try this link, it maybe what your asking. Not sure as I don't follow weapon news anymore.

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by theshadowknows
I searched for 30 mins on two different search engines and its impossible to find a picture on it...sorry.

Yeah i kinda know, as i have been looking for 2 hours..

I was hoping that somebody who had these from different source would give us these..

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Well, I think it is only availible in conversion kits.

Try this link, it maybe what your asking. Not sure as I don't follow weapon news anymore.

Thanks,

I just found that by myself also..

But sadly, the .PDF file is corrupted and cannot be viewed..

[Edited on 13-10-2003 by FULCRUM]

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I own a fully updated second edition Jane's guns and recognition guide. And no Colt M.A.R.S. here.

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 02:35 AM
link   

I own a fully updated second edition Jane's guns and recognition guide. And no Colt M.A.R.S. here.

I have tha same 'book' from 1996..

But MARS is newer.. and also it is still on going project..

So..

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Mine is the 2000 publication. Bought in in Knox, 2001.

So maybe a newer version needs to be checked?

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Mine is the 2000 publication. Bought in in Knox, 2001.

So maybe a newer version needs to be checked?

Look here:

Looks to me as they arent going to 'share' the MARS with us..

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 05:54 AM
link   
The general trend toward smaller combat cartridges continues. Fabrique Nationale has created the 5.7x28mm round for its futuristic-looking P90 submachine gun. This cartridge uses a lightweight bullet that leaves the barrel at high-velocity, making it capable of penetrating body armor and helmets within 300 meters.

Colt has also been following this trend, recently testing its MARS 5.56x30mm cartridge which is based on a shortened .223 Remington/5.56mm NATO case. Whether this will catch on with any military groups remains to be seen. While it certainly seems like the next logical step in combat rifle evolution, the excellent performance of the 5.56 NATO cartridge, coupled with budget considerations that make most countries hesitant to invest large sums in small arms, make it doubtful that any change will be made in the next few years.

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Link here!!!

But it is in Chinese so i will do for you a crappy Babelfish translation..

"Subject" Curre especially MARS short rifle!

(This really isnt the MARS? As the Magazine seems like standart 223. Mag..)

The Curre special company recently developed one kind of new style short rifle, in fact this new gun was M16 and the M4 rifle organic synthesis product, belonged small attacks the rifle system (MARS), was one brand-new rank ????. This gun (SAS) cooperates the development by the Curre special company and the Florida state multi- Buddha special analysis bureau, this company will produce 1000 this kinds new style in 1997 ????.

Replaces the 9mm caliber weapon

SAS principle leader Mitcher? R? Breathes out Lees (the United States Army special force retires lieutenant colonel) says, this kind of new style weapon spare replaces the 9mm pistol and the submachine gun which in the special police officer army, the national security bureau and the army serves.

This gun launch ball bow heavy 55 grain 5.56x30mm short ball. Compares with the 9mm submachine gun, this gun effective range increased 2 times, approximately was 300m, the muzzle initial speed also increases 2 times, approximately was 2600 feet / seconds, the muzzle kinetic energy also is 9mm ordinary submachine gun ball 2 times. Gun.

This gun also may launch the ball bow heavy 14 grain abundant Leeds ball which the American user frequently uses, its initial speed is 2900 feet / seconds, may guarantee the elimination fast movement, goal. The experiment also indicates uses this kind slightly attacks the rifle system uses the 9mm pistol the reaction rate is much quicker than.

The MARS ball uses south Maag ??? the explosive propellant, it have the modern sphere explosive propellant energy density high characteristic. After explosive propellant burning produces the chest cavity pressure energy enable the warhead to fly by the very high initial speed to the muzzle (MARS ?? is very short, only length 11 inches). Because this ball ballistic coefficint and the initial speed very is all high, thus reduced the firing distance estimate, the wind with the goal movement influence, greatly enhanced the hit probability.

After 200m ???? MARS, when fire height of trajectory in sighting line within 3 inches. After 200-300m ???? after, in this firing distance, the firer only must aim on the bull's eye one spot, mays then to hit the bull's eye.

However, MARS genuine flash place or it in short range fire prominent performance. This gun person machine engineering design extremely is suitable for in the near distance and ???? inside implements the fast fire. ?? directly to to the place above which slightly grips, is advantageous for between the firer hand eye nature is coordinated. The speed machine locates with the M16 rifle same position, the firer may fast from insure it the position pulls to the entire automatic position.

According to the plan request, the MARS short rifle also will install small 40mm the M203 grenade launcher, the launch such as mucilage ball, the pain ball ball, ???, the night stick ball and so on the non- fragmentation bomb.

The Curre special company also prepares to produce? Plants (SWAT) uses for the special weapon and the tactic division (also to be possible as policeman reserve weapon use) semiautomatic to load MARS.

Weapon comparison

Defends oneself the ordinary 9mm military pistol as the single soldier which uses in the fight its effective range, the hit or the kill probability all very is generally low, is insufficient to effectively to complete the task. 9mm submachine gun, although the structure is compact, the weight is light, but they use the 9mm ??? might is insufficient, causes the effective range only is 100-150m, moreover ??? and killing rate extremely is also limited. In fact, in ????, Panamanian, Kuwaiti, in Somalia's actual combat, the people on already realized was inferior to 7.62x39mm to the 9mm weapon fighting efficiency the AK47 rifle such weapon.

On the other hand, launches 7.62mm or the 5.56mm/5.45mm ball rifle effective range generally all in 500-800m, this distance has surpassed the soldier identifies the enemy from its position position, or initiates the fire to the enemy the general mean distance. Moreover these guns are generally heavier, ?? is inconvenient, ??? oversized, can produce the muzzle flame and the muzzle explodes, automatic fire critical moment to control.

The MARS speed and the precision all surpassed such as the AK47 rifle and so on a might bigger weapon, on 0-300m distance, its precision within two angular minutes. The lethality surpassed 9mm and the 5.7mm ball. This gun also strengthened the aiming salvo fire performance, the weight lightly the submachine gun which uses to the at present (for example HK MP5, MP5K and FN the P90 submachine gun).

MARS ammunition

5.56mm the MARS ball may say is the MARS weapon soul is at. This ball uses south Maag the pistol sphere ?? explosive propellant, the installment ???? weight 55 grains sterns shapes pure metal by the armor (FMJ) the warhead, the ballistic coefficint is.272, may obtain 2620 feet / second muzzles initial speeds. May penetrate the army ground forces personnel armor protection system in 300m place its warhead (PASGT) ?? pulls the hard helmet two sides or bulletproof vest front behind. The MARS ?? length 11 inches, launch the MARS ball may have 825 feet? Pound muzzle kinetic energy, 54,500 pounds / square inches (PSl) chest cavity pressure.

The MARS ball packing method is: First inserts the MARS ball on 10 round 5.56mm standard cartridge clip, then inserts every 4 cartridge clips one ?? inside, hits person one ??, then ?? loads every 7 one iron sheet ?? inside. The ball length is very short, only has 1.7 inches, therefore when packing the ball slanting shoulder cannot overlap. Because the ball very is it is said light, the soldier may the greater degree increase take along the ball quantity. For instance, 1 pound heavy 9mm ball takes along the ball quantity is 36 round, but 1 pound heavy 5.56mm MARS takes along the ball quantity can increase the strength mouth to 45 round.

According to breathes out Lees discloses, the MARS short rifle hopes to be able to replace 80% pistol, all submachine guns and 20% rifle and the carbine rifle which the present United States military equips.

That is something..

Sadly i havent found anything in english yet..

But i will keep trying..

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Link!!!

Here is the pic of 5.56x30mm MARS cartridge:

(i can be a fake.. but i doubt it..)

And of all that text there, only following in new:

The experimental 5.56x30mm Colt MARS (Mini Assault Rifle System) had a lot of potential in 1996 but is now a defunct project for a variety of reasons. Please read the text that follows and see why this cartridge deserves recognition in the evolution of this type of application. This prototype round was formed from .223 brass and bears the ?R-P 223 REM? headstamp. It will be a special piece in your Colt ammo collection.

but is now a defunct project for a variety of reasons.

Damn..

But there must be weapons still?

Where are the pics?

I WANT THOSE!!!

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Link!!!

MARS Patent images!!! (12 Pages)

SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION

According to the invention, a successful gas operated firearm of known design has been modified resulting in one of more compact size and reduced weight while retaining the firepower of its predecessor and most of the components and other desirable features of its predecessor. A bolt assembly is reciprocably mounted in a longitudinal cavity of a receiver assembly for movement between recoil and battery positions and has a forwardly facing pressure surface and first and second longitudinally extending coaxial bores. The annular flange of a firing pin is slidable in the second bore and the bolt assembly includes a transversely extending retaining pin engageable by the annular flange to define an aftward terminal position of the firing pin. A recoil assembly includes a pair of tungsten weights mounted in the longitudinal cavity for rectilinear movement with the bolt assembly between the recoil and battery positions and includes means to bias the bolt assembly toward the battery position. A trigger mechanism includes a hammer biased for movement toward the firing position from a cocked position whose face has a first recess with a base surface for squarely impacting the firing base of the firing pin and a second transversely extending recess providing clearance for reception of the retaining pin thereby allowing unimpeded access of the hammer to the firing pin. Expanding gases from a cartridge whose bullet has passed a gas port proceeds past the gas port, then through a gas passage tube and against the pressure surface of the bolt assembly for driving the bolt assembly toward the recoil position. The tungsten weights are of a magnitude sufficient to limit rebound of the bolt carrier in the battery position and prevent misfires caused by an interference between the bolt carrier and the firing pin.

Indeed, the mini assault rifle system (MARS) of the invention is a new class of weapon that will provide a personal defense weapon system for self defense as well as for emergency force protection or close quarters combat. This weapon would obsolete 9mm pistols and submachine guns among the military, special police, and security forces. It is envisioned to replace 80% of the pistols, all submachine guns, and 20% of the rifles and carbines in current inventories. The MARS weapon and ammunition is designed to overmatch threat weapons in speed and accuracy in the range of 0-300 meters, enhance lethality over the 9mm and 5.7mm weapons, have an increased capability for aimed automatic fire, and be lighter than current submachine guns. In consideration of current levels of defense spending, the MARS concept focused on keeping development, procurement, training, maintenance costs extraordinarily low for the introduction of such a quantum increase in battlefield capabilities.

The MARS program was designed to offer the maximum integrated value for the amount expended. The weapon and ammunition were designed to utilize current manufacturing facilities, materials, and practices so as to exploit unused capacity, reduce risk, cost, and schedule.

Critical interfaces are retained in the design to ensure interface with the accessories in the Modular Weapon Program, for example rail system, pistol grip, suppressor, visible/IR illuminators, visible/IR lasers, the Close Combat Optical Sight, Thermal Weapons Sight, controlled penetration projectiles, and the like.

The weapon system of the invention would provide superior fire power in a variety of applications. In a military application, effectiveness of a military weapon system must be assessed against the threat. Personnel defense and force protection for combat support/combat service support personnel and combat crewmen require a weapon with the range, accuracy, and lethality to overmatch the enemies'assault rifle capabilities. Terrorists attacks, raids, and ambushes by enemy commandoes, or penetrations will require rear area troops to defend themselves and their facilities. Effective fire is the key to disrupting the attack and over- taking the assailant. Combat support/combat service support and combat crewmen require a compact, lightweight weapon that allows a hands free carry. The ergonomics of the weapon and fire control must provide a high hit probability at short to medium ranges with an absolute minimum of training.

One typical specific use of the weapon system of the invention would be for the protection of downed helicopter crewmen. Recent conflicts have shown that if personnel engaged in evasion and recover can hold the enemy at bay for as little as 20 minutes, then airstrikes can be brought to bear and extraction by accompanying aircraft or a rescue mission mounted.

While 5.7mm or 9mm pistols and submachine-guns are compact and easy to carry, they lack sufficient range, power and accuracy to sustain an evader when outnumbered by even local militia armed with assault rifles such as the AK-47. The M16 and M4 type rifles are too cumbersome for the pilot and co-pilot in the cockpit. Anything not secured in close proximity to the cockpit crew is not likely to accompany them as they scramble out of a crashed aircraft. The amount of ammunition and level of marksmanship likely to be found among downed aircrews requires an enhanced fire control for a higher probability of hit. Reducing the firing signature to avoid detection and confuse pursuers is critical to the aircrews maintaining the tactical initiative.

Like aircrews, tankers (that is, crews in tanks and other armed vehicles) require a compact, light weapon that can be secured to him for hands free carry as he scrambles from a burning vehicle. The weapon must provide sufficient firepower to hold enemy infantry at bay until supporting armor or dismounted troops can assist.

MARS is also an ideal weapon for heavy weapons crews, snipers, special or urban reconnaissance teams.

In short, MARS provides the firepower required to survive the threats on the battlefield or behind the lines.

The weapon system of the invention would also be of considerable benefit in law enforcement. The police minicarbine version of the MARS may be used in police scenarios facing rifles, shotguns, or terrorists, psychotic, or drug enhanced criminals. Police versions include a semiautomatic short barrel rifle for law enforcement sale only as a cruiser back up weapon for encounters with heavily armed criminals and SWAT teams. The MARS fires a 55gr full metal jacket bullet at 2600 ft/sec, and with a variety of controlled penetration ammunition is both safer and more effective, reducing the risk to both law enforcement personnel and civilians.

And there is # load of text there..

But no actual pictures still..

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Re pictures of the MARS, there is one of inventor Mike Harris demonstrating it in the Sept. 1996 issue of LAW and ORDER magazine and one of him carrying it in SMALL ARMS WORLD REPORT, Vol 7, Num 1 & 2 (ca 1997). Patents 5,827,992 and 5,726,377 have detailed drawings of the mechanism. 5.56x30mm MARS ball and tracer, as well as the 9mm and 10mm rounds, appear at auctionarms.com from seller rampant1 (view both open and closed auctions).

top topics

join