It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coaches need to just do that coach

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I am at a loss for words at this moment and I suppose I should just tell you the problem first and then proceed with the why. Here's the problem:

My sister is currently on the varsity high school team that I was on for three years; this is her first. The problem is the coach is doing the same thing she proceded to do to my friends and myself (to some extent), not using the potential and ability there is, and is instead opting to favoritism.

Now for the real issue. My sister has alought of potential and could be a much better softball player than I was. The coach who I have had for three years uses favortism and parental influences (parents who suck up to get their players more time). During practices the coach doesn't provide a structured practice with drills and ways for one to improve their skills. Instead they goof of and realy don't have a structured practice at all. How do I know this, it is the exact same situation that the team was in when I was there.

To give you a bit of information about the situation I was in and now my sister.
When I was on the team, I played a variety of positions because I was the type of player that could play any where with the exception of pitcher and catcher. My first year I was the starting short stop, second year I built up a better relationship with the coach i.e. went to EVERY conditioning practice, but upon taking a family trip (just like one of the favorites did) a crusie to mexico, I was shund and didn't have the same connection that I previously had. The result was I became the first baseman, a position that I had never played before. The last year I was moved to center field, but was not able to hit which pissed me off!!
The connection with my history and my sister is this: She never gets to play second (the position that she wants to play and is a lot quicker than the girl currently their) or any other position. When she does she is not aloud to hit. My thinking is, the coach thinks she is just like me, ability wise, therefore bases her decission on me. The problem with the coach is that she doesn't teach the players the technique that she wants performed.

I have been rattling my head trying to think of a way to make it evident to the community that she is indeed a burnt up coach that needs to leave, but is also not allowing players who have the skills to play. There is a form that parents and coaches read in which I could post my opinnion but not make it evident to who I am refering to, but to let it be known, that way people who are there could watch for it if they wanted to.
I don't want her to end up like the other girls on my team that sat on the bench and didn't play because she wouldn't let them even though they had the skills.
I am at a point where I don't know what to do and I want to keep it legal without having to much of a consequence.

I need your guys' HELP with figuring this one out!!!!!!!!!

-Dagger

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I coach youth sports all summer and winter. I spend my summers on the ball field and winters in the hockey rink. I dont recieve any money or incentives, and most times its to my own cost. Does this coach get paid at the position?

My best recommendation would be approach the coach in a respectable manner and plead your case. Say you feel like he is being unfair to all those involved and some deserve a shot they are not recieving. Not all baseball is fair, elite levels should not be spread even out and the best should play the most. But its not to say the rest do not deserve a shot. With my team, not everybody plays the same but everybody plays 1 inning in the field and 1 at bat per game, No matter what!

I try to be fair, but can not be always. If a child or parent felt I was being biased I would want them to approach me about it. So I would recommend doing so. Just be respectful and polite.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Thanks for your response!!!!

When I played for her I confronted her after a game when everyone had left and called her on it. She continued to do what she previously did.
Since it is a High School team she does recieve money over $1,000 for coaching and she is a teacher (PE) at the school also.
The problem with confronting her is 1) I am 288 miles away at college at the time and 2) I have previously talked to her about this.
My sister has the ability, the skills to play and is quicker reacting to the ball than the girl that is currently their.
The coach goes through every four years bringing four new freshman to the team. She has done this for quite some time now and I don't think it is quencidental.

Again thank you for your response!!

-Dagger

new topics

join