It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walking on water a miracle? No just an enviromental weather effect.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Ok, so this is a scientific theory on how it is that the reports of Jesus walking on water could be true.

Rare conditions could have conspired to create hard-to-see ice on the Sea of Galilee that a person could have walked on back when Jesus is said to have walked on water, a scientist said today.

The study, which examines a combination of favorable water and environmental conditions, proposes that Jesus could have walked on an isolated patch of floating ice on what is now known as Lake Kinneret in northern Israel.

Looking at temperature records of the Mediterranean Sea surface and using analytical ice and statistical models, scientists considered a small section of the cold freshwater surface of the lake. The area studied, about 10,000 square feet, was near salty springs that empty into it.

The results suggest temperatures dropped to 25 degrees Fahrenheit (-4 degrees Celsius) during one of the two cold periods 2,500 –1,500 years ago for up to two days, the same decades during which Jesus lived.

LiveScience.com

Well this shows that Jesus may have in fact walked on water, but it was no miracle of divine proportions.

What do you think?

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I once read from saint germaines (not sure if that's the right saint or not) book of alchemy that Jesus could have walked on water do to him changing the magnetic forces around him. Not really scientific but I thought it was kind of a cool look at it.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Interesting, but if memory serves, did he not walk on water from land to a boat the apostles were in? If he floated to them on a patch of ice, then I suppose Jesus invented surfing. How many times is it claimed that he performed this miracle?

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Im sure it would have been very hard to balnce yourself on a piece of ice barefooted or with primitive shoes. One would think he would have almost have to fall down at some point. I dont remember that part being in the Bible.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   
interesting stuff. I don't find either of those examples quite as believable as the one recently sent to me by "Undo" - he found a reference to a legend of Buddha but it's hard to know which is more recent.

Undo told me: "he incident is found only in the "gospel of buddha", which was written way after buddha died, compiled and published in 1894. Lots of additional books were written over the years, and the "Gospel" was created to compile several of the texts together. In other words, their texts were actively being created for a long time after the life of Buddha or Christ. "

So, the writing of it was quite recent but who knows how far back the legend goes. This was part of a conversation we were having about tracing virtually every NT "miracle" back to a legend from some previously worshipped diety in that part of the world. The only one I could not find was the "walking on water".

I'd love to have more info on this one if anybody has any. I'm not saying the ice thing or the magnetic field thing were totally impossible. It's just with almost all the other "miracles" suspiciously similar (or exactly the same) as the "competing" dieties, well, it's likely to be more of a legend than an actual occurrence.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   
It does'nt say he floated on it, it was larger, almost like a bridge of ice, he walked on that.

As for him not falling, well if your careful you wont fall.

EDIT:
Fixed spelling errors.

[edit on 4/4/2006 by iori_komei]

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Uh I thought the scientific community said that there is no evidence that jesus actually existed?

Now they are saying he did but he walked on ice in the desert? and on frozen SALT laden bodies of water?

Even an elementary school kid knows that these guys don't know what they are talking about.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Now they are saying he did but he walked on ice in the desert? and on frozen SALT laden bodies of water?

DTSQ...that's right! Personally, I would find it harder to believe that salt-filled ice exists in the dessert and easier to believe that a mortal man could walk on water!! Maybe he had inflatable sandals on. Has anyone ever thought of that? Just a cheap parlor trick. I even read somewhere that Jesus invented the joy buzzer and fake vomit. I understand he had everyone in hysterics at the last supper or the supper or whatever that event was that may or may not have taken place. Good times.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I think its unlikely that a historical jesus took advantage of these conditions and walked on the water. I think it is more likely, from a non-miracle viewpoint, that there were stories of people from that area walking on water, and then this got attached to the jesus mythos-story as it was spreading.

Originally posted by KidOK
Im sure it would have been very hard to balnce yourself on a piece of ice barefooted or with primitive shoes.

And,therefore, its more likely the he magically walked on water??

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Uh I thought the scientific community said that there is no evidence that jesus actually existed?

Even an elementary school kid knows that these guys don't know what they are talking about.

Some people don't beleive he existed, I myself beleive he a preacher, and his father was an unnamed roman soldier, but science does'nt say he never existed, just that he was'nt divine.

Did you read the article?
It got very cold in the region, down to 15º Farenheit.
Water turns into ice in conditions that cold.

Elementary school kids would'nt even care, so they would'nt know who's wrong and who's right.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Since the account of Jesus walking on water happened during a storm, and it was windy (which worried Peter and casued him to fall too) I highly doubt there was opportunity for the water to freeze.

Matthew 14:24-27

but the boat was already many stadia (great distance) from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it.

During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear.

But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."

If there was ice on the water, the would have been able to see it, or know about it during the storm. not to metion it wasn't just Jesus who floated on water, but Peter too.

Still there is allways the old parlor trick of submerging something into the water that is FAR more feasable then a freak chance of ice forming

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I think its incorrect because he also came to the disciples in the middle of a storm and walked on the water... learn quantum physics and tell me it isn't possible today...

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 07:38 AM
link   
It is actually physically possible to walk on..... custard

Something to do with the polymers I think in it.. pull against each other to form a 'solid surface', stand still for long enough and you'l sink mind.
On a documentry I once saw someone walk across a swimming pool..even run across.

My post has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.. stil interesting mind

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei

What do you think?

I think, if the article is correct, that the Apostles must have really had a hard time rowing their boat through all of that ice.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light
I think, if the article is correct, that the Apostles must have really had a hard time rowing their boat through all of that ice.

they didn't need to row.. they did have sailboats back then, and if you read the text they were trying to sail into the wind

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei

Some people don't beleive he existed, I myself beleive he a preacher, and his father was an unnamed roman soldier, but science does'nt say he never existed, just that he was'nt divine.

Did you read the article?
It got very cold in the region, down to 15º Farenheit.
Water turns into ice in conditions that cold.

Elementary school kids would'nt even care, so they would'nt know who's wrong and who's right.

Personally I have no faith in the illumaniti/freemasonry controlled scientific community that only a few short years ago said there was no other planets in the universe...

If science doesn't believe that Jesus existed then why spend time speculating on what a non-existant person may have or may not have done?

I do think that Jesus existed but I'm not sure I can believe the bible stories though.

My souces tell me that his father was not a roman soldier.

He was a prophet and a divine spirit that descended into the flesh to teach humanity that they are in fact spirits enslaved in the flesh and how and why they should strive to get out of here.

But science cannot understand what it is ignorant about, what it cannot measure and what it cannot understand. It is better to deny what they cannot master than to grudingly admit that it exists and that they do not own MASTERY over it.

Reminds me a lot of the fakery I often see in Archeology too, some people MAKING UP STORIES about the past and then hanging on to them rigidly even when new evidence arrises to rip the stories to shreds. Only insecure and immature people do that as it harms all of humanity in the process - stops our development so that somebody can save face in their misguided self pride.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 01:34 AM
link   
This scientist is grasping at straws. Surely he must know this too and is saying this for another reason. Is he looking for publicity? Where is his scientific reproduction of his theory?

If there was ice, then we have some of the dumbest Apostles whose testimony is worthless. And if they were that foolish then how in the world did Christianity survive?

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Around where I live, the ´sea freezes every year. It is nice to walk on a frozen sea. However, I think this "news" seems pretty far fetched, but still I believe it makes sense.

I believe it remains a mystery not solved.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I'd just like to point something out about the article.

The article is not saying Jesus did walk on frozen ice, rather that the time he was alive, it was possible in the area he was.

If you read the article you will see that it says he could have, not that he did.

Also, in case anyone is wondering, and does'nt know.

The ice in the water was 10,000ft in area.

[edit on 4/6/2006 by iori_komei]

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   

quote: Originally posted by Masonic Light

they didn't need to row.. they did have sailboats back then, and if you read the text they were trying to sail into the wind

This is good stuff. Masonic Light has his head on here and can't understand how a boat can be rowed through ice, so someone comes along and says it was a sailboat. So one can sail through ice, but can't row through it?
Wow...that is good!!

top topics

join