It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How We Create Reality Through Thought

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   
My "conspiracy" is that time doesn't exist... please don't move my thread to BTS.........

Remember in this example time does not exist.

-How we create reality through thought.

For instance say I wish to sleep; I am suffering from temporary insomnia due to any number of circumstances i.e. drugs, stress, etc...
So I lay down and attempt sleep.
I feel sleepy, unbearably but can't stop thinking, so I begin to repeat "Sleep" over and over again to no avail.
So then I decide "Okay, I can't sleep" and I leave the thought/desire to sleep and immerse myself in the company of people... People who have no idea about my thought/desire and on and on we converse, watch TV, etc... but whatever I'm doing I'm fully immersed in it (no thought that I am sleepy) and then when the company of people disperse for whatever reason, I try to sleep again, and am successful.

In that story, from the time I stopped repeating the word "Sleep" and left the desire, everything that happened right down to the amount of breathes I took, became the "time" or concept thereof.
Sort of like every little thought becomes a small book (provided doubt doesn't burn it) that from that moment you lable the front(as soon as you concieve a thought) everything that happens becomes the pages/reality until the conclusion.

Time isn't time, it is merely thought manifesting itself.
New "time" begins with every new thought or new "Book"
unless you destroy the negative thought with positive doubt
Like the concept of age, we have many concepts or ideas keeping us alive all the time, like the idea of hunger and so on.... Age keeps us alive with Birthdays(Deathdays) and other relations/coincidences... more/less hair, tighter/drier skin, looser/saggier skin.... Until you doubt the entity age it will exist and live as a reality...

[edit on 4/4/06 by dnero6911]

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   
This isn't exactly what you're talking about but I believe it's related.

I believe there is a Buddhist saying (and I can't remember it exactly now) about how there is no time. Everything is happening now, we just view it as a series of happenings.

Do you know the saying?

It helps me to think of the concept as looking at the sky through a device that only allows me to see a small vertical slit of the sky at any one moment in time. If I slowly move from left to right, I will move through time and see (and experience) each part of the sky. But the whole sky was there the entire time, it didn't 'happen' as I saw it, it was there all along. I just experienced it as I moved along.

Does this make sense in writing? I'm usually talking and gesturing while explaining this.

Thanks for the post! Interesting subject!

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   
That was an awsome explanation,Benevolent...
I never thought to look at things that way....and if we did see the big picture though..what do you think it would look like?
i dont think the human mind could ever comprehend that idea..
its like knowing whats beyond a black whole...we will never know...but the point i think dnero6911 is trying to make is...
when you put yourself in a situation...where can litterally make your reality just by having thought of it in the past....and time is the space bnetween that reaklity coming into play..~Kiliker

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Buddhists believe that time occurs in different cycles within the universe which is one big circle and within the big circle are smaller circles. This very much relates to your thoughts in this post. Very nice post, btw.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I think time is a series of consequences starting from the creation of the universe. Where we are in time depends on where we are in this seemingly never ending series of consequences.
Maybe I’m missing something but if thought was time surely you would expect the speed at which you think to affect time?
In your story it was actions that made it up. Those actions resulted directly because of previous actions. That is time, time is consequence.

Admittedly there is a spacing between actions. Chuck a ball and something might have happened by the time it hit the ground. But that time is only relative to other actions, these actions could be directly linked to the ball or not.
The speed at what can happen in time is always regulated by physics, and these rules seem to apply to all things on equal terms (obviously light and matter have different rules but the rules are on the same terms as these things are interchangeable (matter can be made into light like in nuclear fusion, and light could be made into matter).

So in a word: Time is consequence regulated by the laws of physics.

[edit on 090705 by Liberal1984]

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 01:21 AM
link   
The faster you process thought as used here, the more you take in, the slower "time" goes by. Just my idea on it. As you take in more of reality, more has to be regulated to maintain the reality, which keeps it all going smoothly.

The subconcious could be handling most of this while the concious effects very little of the process. This would make things go smoothly it seems.

edited for clarity

[edit on 18-4-2006 by Novise]

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Well... isn't the basic definition of time the measurment of change? We perceive changes, any changes, and say time is passing. When we perceive the small change, time drags on moment by moment. You stare at your watch and see the seconds tick with nothing else happening, no sound, no distractions, and time is "slow". We do something we get immersed in that has alot of change and so we perceive time to "fly". To go beyond the basic definition of time, I would define "time" as the flow of all energy. Without energy, change... and the entire physical universe become impossible to exist. I'm of the school of thought that if you stood outside of time, all of existence would be happening simultaniously in a single moment.

[edit on 18-4-2006 by DemonicAngelZero]

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 10:08 AM
link   
True, time flies when you are having fun. I guess you could say that when the concious is immersed in something interesting, it is not doing much in terms of perceiving reality. You are processing alot of information with the mind, but I think times like these, those thoughts are seperate from reality creating thoughts. It would be a distraction, causing less of your mind to focus on perception/what is going on. In a less distracted state, the mind can focus more on its perceiving time, or anything (and might do so automatically), leading to slower time. I just don't know, wouldn't that mean our minds should get more tired during a state of rest?

I know the OP uses any thought to produce the time or perception of time, I think these thoughts that enable this are unique and much less detectable, and sometimes they can be concious thoughts, but not often. It's hard to talk about because thought and perception and time can mean so many different things when we talk about this stuff. I am thinking from the perspective that all existance is occuring at once, and our mind and other forces allow us to perceive it piece by piece.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   
i definitely feel perceived time passage is relative, but its measurement (human developed) is not...10 minutes of sex isn't considered much time, but a 10 minute orgasm would border on lethal...

your sleep disorder sounds like what i go through, in that sometimes i have to feel like i've accomplished something, however small, in order to rest...

a friend and i had a lengthy debate once about time, cyclical vs. linear...wish i could remember enough to describe it here...but you probably know the arguments anyway...

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I agree with the perceptionary approach. However one must understand, even if one doesnt agree, that reality...though regulated by mathmatics....is relative to perception because we (humans) are the only self aware beings in this dimension. Therefore 8 billion people on the planet = 8 billion realities, each preceiving time on a moment by moment basis, everyone perverbiably slowing down and speeding up time based on their mental paterns.

Then one person started arguing with another person over how long an event transpired. So they had to agree on something, and presto...the mesurement of 1 second per second. The subject in question is simply our mental preception speeding up and slowing down with the time-gauging system we have created with ourselves.

Ergo, time as we know it (1sec/sec) is a product of sociology, a governing invention. But the span of events and the expiration and rejuvenation of energy is just as irratic as our perception of it. Therefore, relative. Or as mentioned previously, non exsistant.

[edit on 20-4-2006 by transparency]

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Time exists in this Universe. But the idea of requesting sleep...now if you have to request sleep it means you believe you don't have it, but there is no need to request sleep as it is already possible. I sure have found it true that as soon as I quit looking for something I found it.
On the other hand, there have been times I've gotten out of bed after waking up prematurely, and then read, listened to music, watched tv, etc then fell back to sleep.

new topics

top topics

join