It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biometric passport

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I read that the new biometrical passport will replace the old passports really soon.

The biometrical passport is on its way to be a reality. In Europe atleast, I do not know if it is in use in the US. THe passport itself is not different by looks, but it includes a microchip and an antenna, that are inserted in the information page on the passport. Personal data, like name and social security number, nationality, signature and photo are recorded to the chip.

The passport has been developed by ICAO (international civilian aviation organization, I presume) It has a standard that all passports must have face photo as a biometrical ID, and also it allows finger prints and the use of iris as a biometrical ID.

The passport has a chip that does not require a "reading" device. The chip has several processors and it's memory is atleast 32kb. The chip has no power source of its own, but it gets it's energy trough the antenna.

It has been said that this will make forgery hard, and decrease terrorism and everything. Personally I find this just a bit disturbing. Someone knows where you have been, and propably they can even insert information on the chip.. Feels like Big Brother is again one step closer.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 07:16 AM
link   
There's already an awesome thread

Great Thread!

join