It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Politics Corrupt Good People???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 12:57 AM
link   
i heard the question asked the other day on the radio and no divinitive answer was given . it seems like good people get elected and after getting into office etheir by association or peer pressure they give in to the enticement to accept bribes from the special intrest groups and corporation's bent on there own agenda.. so it bring me to this question ??

do good people go bad in office or does politics attract bad people who were just corrupt all along.. I personally have seen the personality change that happens to these individuals when they enter office.

just thought i would see what people here think on this subject .....

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I think it is the other way around: people corrupt politics. Politics in itself is just an ideology, so in itself it isn't evil. But the type of people who venture into the political arena can be corrupted by others who have a certain agenda.

Tom DeLay is a good example.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Politics only corrupts, or becomes corrupt, when that political entity quits listening to the real world, and begins to believe the whisperers that continually tell them that they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. When they forget that they serve the folks back home and not the lobbyists that surround them constantly, corruption has set in, and will consume them.

[edit on 4-4-2006 by seagull]

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
That's a very good question sentinal. I think it's very possible. Power does corrupt people. Like on Lord of the Rings too; the One Ring always corrupted people who were originally good.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I've never been in office myself but I would think that it is very hard to get things done. I can imagine that there are people that go into politics with the best of intentions and once there find that without making compromises or deals, they have no influence.

I would say that politics attracts good people and corrupt people. The corrupt people thrive because they are up for the game and the good people end up compromising their integrity so they can accomplish things.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Does Politics Corrupt Good People???

Do people corrupt good politics? Does religion corrupt people or do people corrupt religion?

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
I would say that politics attracts good people and corrupt people. The corrupt people thrive because they are up for the game and the good people end up compromising their integrity so they can accomplish things.

so if good people compromise their integrity then we can say that politics corrupt's good people and that politics attracts people with corrupt morals so that basically it would be easier to find a three legged ballerina than to find an honest politician in washington

[edit on 4-4-2006 by the_sentinal]

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   
You could probably find an honest politician or two somewhere.

But they are probably backbenchers.

(Do Americans use the term backbencher?
)

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Well you know that at one time in our history some of our founding fathers predicted that 'power' would corrupt our leaders. The Anti-Federalists feared that liberty was endangered less by oppressive majorities than by oppressive rulers which is why they did not support a large republic. They felt the power should be more in the people's hands than what it is today. I tend to agree.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Does politics corrupt?

Well if we are to talk about the power that comes with been a political figure in high places I will say, Yes politics gives power and power can corrupt people.

While intentions are noble in the beginning of a political figure in power. . . history has shown over and over that anybody can get corrupted with politics.

This usually happen when the office held is use for political gain, or personal agendas now the problem is if the person holding the political office can get away with it.

top topics

join