It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2020 - The Future of Computing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Here it is, the future of computing by Nature, available free online (also available in the current issue).

Personally I think quantum computers are a long way of, a lot longer than 5 years, maybe five decades at best. I think the current computers are going to be the norm, only better data compression/storage methods, materials (superconducters, synthetic diamond, etc), sending of information, etc.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I once read that scientists wanted to use light as a way of saving/working a computer system. I am not entirely sure how and yes it did seem far fetched to me but i'll have a look and see if i can dig something up. If it was possible or a possibility the article suggested computer systems would speed up... possibly even at light speed

I'll take a look now.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   
That is weird...i think it would be kinda cool, but i agree...pretty far fetched.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Oh, an article by the Vinge-meister. Nice.

Have any of you guys used Evolutionary Algorithims before? I have with this new piece of software my dad just purchased.

It's basically an improved jpg viewer/editor which requires you to pick out the pictures(in your own collection) you like the best, then it generates a series of random mutations, you sort through the mutations and run them through the evolutionary matrix again, and again, and again until you reach the point where you are satisfied with the product and you can save your settings and apply it to ALL your photographs.

Let me tell you the results are amazing. I'll try to find some before and after results, to better illustrate what I'm talking about.

That is the future of computing. Chemical Engineers are using this method as are Structural engineers and even an upcoming video game is reported to use techniques similiar to this(Spore incase anyone is interested).

top topics

join