It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada scraps decriminalization of Marijuana

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Stephen Harper is acting quickly as Canada's Prime Minister. He has scrapping the decriminalization of small amounts of marijuana for Canadian citizens. Under the proposal of the Liberals, people found with small amounts of marijuana would recieve a fine and no criminal record.

edition.cnn.com... x.html
Click the link above for full story

OTTAWA, Canada (Reuters) -- Canada's new Conservative government will scrap draft legislation that would have decriminalized the possession of small amounts of marijuana, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Monday.
The legislation, drawn up by the previous Liberal government, alarmed police officials in Canada and the United States who said it would only encourage the already booming trade in pot.

"We will not be reintroducing the Liberal government's marijuana decriminalization legislation," he told a meeting of the Canadian Professional Police Association.

"I thought we might find a receptive audience here," he told his audience after winning a round of applause.

Almost Canada.... Almost!

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   
They must not be making enuf money with it be decrimilized. I mean, they can't seize someone's house for having a gram like here in the USA.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I don't like Harper, and I know when they start talking 'crack down on crime' it usually involves pot somehow.
I get the feeling we fell behind everything gained.

Common sense out the window, pot causes crime, not bad laws

At least they (The Conservative Party) is only a minority government, Good ole' Layton will be the thorn we need so Harper doesn't go totally power nuts.

Harpers party is a bit too secretive as well, not wide open like they promised.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
This is all about the “war on drugs” in America. When Canada lightens up on Marijuana the boarder is going to get tighter.

I hope one day Canada comes to realize that we are not the 51st American state and makes laws for Canada and not our neighbors.

How much you want to bet that Harper and Bush talked about this last week?

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
This is all about the “war on drugs” in America. When Canada lightens up on Marijuana the boarder is going to get tighter.

I hope one day Canada comes to realize that we are not the 51st American state and makes laws for Canada and not our neighbors.

How much you want to bet that Harper and Bush talked about this last week?

Right on the nose!

The benefit of this law would of helped out that young guy in his teens who partied alittle hard one night and was arrested with a very small amount in his pocket, and suffers the rest of his life for it.

I actually thought the proposal made sence, it was restricted to very small amounts, not for those with the purpose of trafficing. The person would recieve a fine, which is appropriate.

Someday Canada will beable to govern its own state.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

o so you want every man woman and child smoking a blunt every day after lunch? thats good to know there are people out there trying to make everyone a pothead. [sarcasm]

[edit on 3-4-2006 by worksoftplayhard]

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by worksoftplayhard

Originally posted by chissler

o so you want every man woman and child smoking a blunt every day after lunch? thanks good to know there are people out there trying to make everyone a pothead.

How about reading the thread. I am not condoning anything related to the use of drugs. I merely stated, almost. I do not use drugs, buy or sell drugs. So your comments are completely irresponsible and ignorant.

Next time think before you judge.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Harper is a conservative, he probably blazed a few down while he was on vacation at the pyramids in Mexico.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   
This was to be expected. The Conservative Party has talked about this for a while. We're getting tough on crime in Canada and anyone with a little extra money would be wise to get into the prison services business.

The Conservative party is the total opposite of what was promised. There is no transparency, the press has been kicked out of areas they have traditionally been allowed in and all MP's have to clear any press releases or comments through the PMO. :shk:

Can we have another election yet?

[edit on 3-4-2006 by Duzey]

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
So what were saying is, the government are not following up with the promises they made during their campaign.

Damnit! I really believed them this time.

Is it even possible for a government to be transparent.

I wish it were

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I can't say they've broken every promise they made. After all, they did promise to put the kibosh on the legalization of marijuana.

With all the minimum mandatory sentences they are going to be handing out, we're going to need a lot more prisons.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Common sense out the window, pot causes crime, not bad laws

could you give me 5 real facts that proves your statement, that pot causes crime?

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Um, It was sarcasm, The Conservatives common sense is out the window.
They think it's the weed that is the problem, but bad laws make it a crime, the law is the cause of it's demonisation. And they want to 'Get tough'
I don't like that kind of talkin'.

Is that mo clear?

And Oh yeah, did you not notice the
at the end, go on, take a look!

[edit on 3-4-2006 by Toadmund]

[edit on 3-4-2006 by Toadmund]

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Harper announced also that he is trying to abolish the gun registry, along with the marijuana legislation and instituting toughter penalties for criminals. Statutory releases will no longer be permitted, which was the practice of releasing convicts after two thirds of their sentence had passed.

Harper is really not wasting any time to have his voice heard. The long- gun registry seems to be a good idea for Canadians, knowing who has a gun and what they have can be an added bonus to all police forces. Harper see's it as a waste of time on their part, and a waste of tax payers money. Tougher punishment for criminals is the best method of keeping guns off the street says Harper, so rather than knowing who has guns we will just hope everybody we put in jail had a gun which in return will remove guns off the street. Naive?

I understand not everybody is going to register their weapons, but having the ability to do so should be their.

I see some good in what Harper is trying to do, I agree with the tougher punishments for those who break the law. However, I see flashes of the American administration in our own today.

That scares me. Next we will be sending troops all over the world to fight everyone elses battles. Of course we would need to upgrade from our Supersoakers SL 2500's first.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Gun registry is really a waste of time.

If we werent landlocked with the US, it would be a sinch... it would be as easy as when britain outlawed firearms in civillian hands.

Problem stands though... were landlocked with a country which gives its citizens the right to bear arms... alot of which citizens readily use that freedom. Nothing can stop those guns from getting into canada... no matter how many guns you register, there will always be illegal firearms coming up from the United States.

We should make a push for the US to amend that. Then our cleanup efforts will be worthwhile.

On the note of marajuana... its already proven its benefits multiple times in the medical community... only problem is the government cant tax what is easily grown by the citizens... so they save/make more by criminalizing it.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 12:57 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Yawn. I knew this would happen. If the conservatives refuse to amend their tone and the other parties rebel, we could be seeing a fall/winter election, it would have to be after the Liberals choose a new candidate of couse so let's hope the other parties keep Harper in check to keep the damage to a minimum. He's really green and I personally do not want to see him "grow" into the office... extremely early results look unsurprisingly familiar.....

We shall see how the Cons and NDP work together in the coming months. I'm not that hopeful to tell you the truth.

[edit on 13-4-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   
This was to be expected, doesn't make it any less stupid. Ya never know though, he's looking for votes in Quebec, not BC.

join