It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Chances??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Just a quick question.. something probably really simple to someone else but keeps niggling at me..

Say if you are in an elevator at around 3rd floor level and the cable it its on snaps, as you free fall with the lift.. what if you jumped at the time the cable snapped.. would it make a difference on your survival chances considering you won't hit the ground with the most amount of impact??

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I dont think that it will really matter. The elevator will still smash like a pancake. Even if you werent touching the floor when the elevator hits the ground, you will still be crushed inside the elevator.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   
www.badastronomy.com...

it wouldnt help at ALL

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I can't believe the theory is actually on the internet!! Thanks for the link!

It's stairs only for me now my 'invincible plan' has failed

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
OMG!!!!

I have always wondered the SAME thing... Hahaha

Never really thought about looking it up...

I dont think it would be very hard at all to implement safety devices in elevators, but then again, i wonder if the cables ever snap on elevators, and if so, how often?

Thats something I think I should look into ...

I mean, Air bags on an elevator I think would help the impact alot, like 6 tough bags full of air on the bottom, should reduce the impact by a pretty good amount. Also, basic re-inforcement of the elevator box itself wouldnt be that hard to do.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
is there not a system where by brakes on the side clamps against the shaft wall to slow the lift by friction? i watched a tech demo of one in the late 1990's, but am not sure if they ever went into use soon after, any ideas or info if it did go into use?

Ill dig for the system see if theres any info for it

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Elevator braking system

Even if all of the ropes were to break, or the sheave system were to release them, it is unlikely that an elevator car would fall to the bottom of the shaft. Roped elevator cars have built-in braking systems, or safeties, that grab onto the rail when the car moves too fast.

Elevators also have electromagnetic brakes that engage when the car comes to a stop. The electromagnets actually keep the brakes in the open position, instead of closing them. With this design, the brakes will automatically clamp shut if the elevator loses power.

If all else fails, and the elevator does fall down the shaft, there is one final safety measure that will probably save the passengers. The bottom of the shaft has a heavy-duty shock absorber system -- typically a piston mounted in an oil-filled cylinder. The shock absorber works like a giant cushion to soften the elevator car's landing.

It looks like there are several safety systems installed on elevators. I am now sure how they would get an airbag to work on an elevator because it might only have one person riding it or it might have 6 squeezed in it. An airbag in a car is "set" for one person that is usually a set distance away from the steering wheel.

It does remind me of the scene from Demolition Man where the car that Sly Stallone is driving launches through the air and lands on the flowerbed of the police department. As it is in the air, if fills the inside of the car with foam and he lands safely.

JDub

[edit on 4/3/2006 by BlueTileSpook]

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I guess I was wrong then. I didnt know that there is safety systems on an elevator.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Chin up, The_Time_Is_Now!

I knew there were brakes on elevators, but I didn't know that there is two different kinds.

We're both here to learn, so keep on jumpin' in.

JDub

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
The next time someone jumps up and down trying to scare people, i'll be safe in the knowledge we won't be at risk in the slightest of being smashed to pieces! Might even jump myself!

Just goes to show all the unusual facts you can learn on here on a day to day basis

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
The elevator still has a roof...it would smash you like a fly.

top topics

join