It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran test fires another new powerful torpedo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Not much details is given on this new torpedo except that it can destroy enemy warships and submarines at any depth and moving at any speed.

I won't rush to the conclusion that it is another major tech. breakthrough until I see more details.

Reuters

Iran test fired a new torpedo in the Strait of Hormuz off its south coast, the world's main nexus for shipping oil, state television reported on Monday.

Iran rarely gives enough details of its military hardware for analysts to determine whether Tehran is making genuine advances or simply producing defiant propaganda while pressure ratchets up on its nuclear program.

Although Iran can draw on huge manpower, its naval and air force technology is largely dismissed as outmoded.

"Revolutionary Guard naval forces a few minutes ago test fired a powerful torpedo in the Strait of Hormuz. This torpedo is capable of destroying enemy warships and submarines at any depth and moving at any speed," state television said.

KEEP IT REAL:

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Iran Says It Has Successfully Tested Another Torpedo, Latest Weapon Unveiled in the Gulf

TEHRAN, Iran Apr 3, 2006 (AP)— Iran said it successfully tested another new torpedo Monday, the latest weapon unveiled during war games in the Gulf.

The torpedo can target submarines at any depth and is powerful enough to "break a heavy warship" in two, a spokesman for Iran's Revolutionary Guards, Gen. Mohammad Ebrahim Dehghani, told state television. He did not announce the name of the new torpedo or give details on its speed or range.

Could the term "heavy warship" be referred to USN Carriers?! Is there any chance that one big powerful torpedo sink down USN Carrier?

No pics are shown yet but the test is believed to have taken place in the Strait of Hormuz.

Also, Iranian National TV reported that another locally-made modern Manpad was tested during the wargame capable of shooting down anything from aircrafts to choppers.

Pentagon: missiles could be produced locally in Iran

Reuters:

The Pentagon said on Monday it is possible Iran has produced missiles capable of evading radar and sonar as Tehran has stated in recent days, but added that the Iranians have been known to "boast and exaggerate."

KEEP IT REAL

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Not to be rude but are the translations correct or are these Generals/Admirals/Officials actually saying this stuff?

It's really not proffessional.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I know there was a thread around here the other day questioning whta Iran's intentions were with thier current wargames. It would appear those intentions were to showcase thier new torpedo.

From the second or two clip I saw on the news last night, it appears to be a rocket torp. which means it is very fast, like an airborne missile, practicly impossible to shoot down. (You'll have it on sonar, but not on radar) capable of carrying any size warhead you want, and probrably has lousy range and guidance. Using rocket motors underwater doesn't exactly contribute to employing a good sonar.

I would guess from the device I saw on the news being dropped off the back of a vessel, by "heavy warship", they are refering to surface combatants like frigates, destroyers, and cruisers. I don't see it being a very useful surface to surface weapon though, so it's more likely employment would be shore to surface, probrably to give a threat to the straits of Hormuz, where great range and accuracy aren't really all that important.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
That's crazy...definitly give more info when you get it.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   
i myself did not get to find much about the missile yet but it is launched from a iranian submarine called Nahang-1 which also has the capability to fire the iranian missile Hoot.

Nahang-1 sub

[edit on 3-4-2006 by Mehran]

[edit on 3-4-2006 by Mehran]

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   

top topics

join