It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Northern Cuba Landmark

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I found this aerial rather odd. Looks like aerial defence's possibly or maybe even
Shrines or similar. Anyone have a clue? Thanks.
pg.photos.yahoo.com...

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   
You must be a Tool fan

If not, I remember seeing this picture posted on Tool's website a while ago. Allegedly, Adam and friends took a trip and saw this from their plane. Of course, Blair might be lying again.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Oh yeah,
The post mentioned Castro's house or something.

Of course this was a long time ago, maybe a year.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by please_takemyrights
You must be a Tool fan

If not, I remember seeing this picture posted on Tool's website a while ago. Allegedly, Adam and friends took a trip and saw this from their plane. Of course, Blair might be lying again.

Yes Tool fan here. And Strangely familiar this image is. Wonder what the heck it is though.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Looks metaphysical...
could be that someone was trying to curse another country...

Cuba, wanting to curse the USA... NAHHHHH

seriously though...that is what it looks like... I would love to know what country the long arrow is pointing at, becasue it would be the target most likely...

a pentagram is so generic, that it could be anything from a blessing, curse, or even a demon evocation...

it reminds me of one of the seals of soloman, so it could even be christian symbol.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   
That is a typical layout of a SA-2 SAM missle installation and I'd bet it hasn't operational in years due to the collapse of the Soviet Union. If you scout the surrounding areas of Havanna, and Santiago you will certainly find more.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Yes, indeed it is a Guideline site, set up in the 'B' arrangement, if I remember correctly.

I am surprised no one else but WESB pointed it out. How long has this image been lurking around the net?

Honestly . . .

external image

I must say I am bit disappointed with you ATS people for not spotting this! Just goes to show how much a simple, mundane thing like a SAM site can stir up the imagination: Metaphysical!!

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 04:54 AM
link   
pg.photos.yahoo.com...
I dont know. This one here looks more like a Monument of some sorts than those other sam sites pic's. And I saw no other ones anywheres around Havana like this.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 05:12 AM
link   
It's an SA-2 site. That's the control building in the center. Here's the original recon photo of it from the 26 Aug 1962.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
It's an SA-2 site. That's the control building in the center. Here's the original recon photo of it from the 26 Aug 1962.

That is not it. Mine shows water near it and in yours only fields. Also Ive compared the two side by side they are deffinately differently built and located.
Most likely is a Sam site but the odd ornnates around the structure have me wondering.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Hi guys,

Just wondering if this might be a fuel dump for diesel boats/subs? It's located very close to a jetty which might suggest that it is for refuelling.

Not my bag, just an observation.

Best Wishes

J

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 05:41 AM
link   

The U-2 missions through 5 September revealed a disproportionate buildup of SA-2 launch sites in western Cuba. One school of thought contended that this deployment pattern was not particularly worrisome, given that Havana and the larger part of the Cuban population were in that region. Further, most of the sites were along Cuba's periphery, where one might expect such missiles arrayed in a national airdefense network.

www.cia.gov...

There were many SA-2 sites near Havana during the 1960s, but this one was probably preserved.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Oh, surely, VType, you are joking, right?

Look, I don't want to do wrong by you, but you must admit that these "Shrines," as you called them, are nothing more than Soviet SA-2 / V-750 NATO codename 'Guideline' surface-to-air missile sites.

The star pattern supported either 5 or 6 missile launching trailers, depending on the ground arrangement, with the command / control van in the middle. Ranged search radars such as the SPOON REST / KNIFE REST A-band systems, used for early detection and acquisition of contacts, sat on the outside of the pattern, as did the Fire Control & Tracking radars, such as the FAN SONG.

Here's a download that'll highlight a few of the Guideline missile sites in Havana, (seeing you said that you could not spot any)
Google Earth Download

Now of course, all this was a long time ago. The first shipment of V-750's came in about 1960-1, way over 40 years ago, so obviously you can expect to see some sites totally overgrown with vegetation, as well as a fair few sites that were set up in totally different arrangements. This is because either the terrain in that local area did not suit the star arrangement, or the local CO's were just to lazy to deploy their trucks in the required pattern.

BTW, the roads are there for easy access for the reloading of fired missiles, and to provide almost direct line-of-site contact with a few other missile launchers, so that if one goes down the control van can be alerted immediately, and can adjust its out-going orders accordingly. The 'point-of-star' position also allows the maximum of space between the highly explosive missile launchers, so that if one gets hit by SEAD fire the chance of the rest going up too is decreased dramatically.

Now, a lollipop to whoever can spot the star!: [yeah, 'part form that last one. thats just scrwed up.]

external image

external image

And no, not a fuel dump. A SAM site!

[edit on 5/4/2006 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Please enlighten me,
I have seen many of these patterns in various places
(AREA 51, Tonapah, air bases)
my question is this? what are all the little circles for? they seem to be there for a reason (the small ones within random areas of the star)

they look a bit like bomb craters

then there is the same patterns in target zones of missle ranges...
are they just former installations that are now targets? or practice?

also, I am curious... some of those sam sites are almost invisible from above...
while some might as well have red circles painted on them...
what would be the strategic benefit of having a SAM site that is visible from Mars? rather than a hidden one?

are they that easy to find no matter how well hidden, so hiding them is useless?
thanks

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I wonder if it is a large ICBM building in the center and many point SAM and AA
defenses around it and then over time made into the monument looking view we have now? Im going to email the Image to a Cuban offical site and ask for a responce.Thanks all and Ill post any updates.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Well, i know that Castro is heavily into Santeria and this may be something to protect either him or the island or both.

He swears he is fully protected by this Santeria. I know what Santeria is, and i have been exposed to it- i think its nothing but only in some people's mind.
I doubt if two maraccas and a chicken bone is going to protect me. Or whatever he has created for protection.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   
A SAM site is not just a place to launch missiles from. Those men had to live there for months, even years, on end. Those circles could be anything from mess tents to baseball pitches to radar nests. Even though they are supposed to put the radars on the outside of the missile site, a fair few commanders just simply couldn't be screwed.

Here's another sort of SA-2 SAM site:

And this one here's an SA-1 battery, near Moscow, I think:

Once again, you can see a SAM site to the lower left in the following picture:

As you can see, SAM sites can and do take up a variety of shapes. It's just that the star arrangment is the best for a site that expects to be put under a lot of pressure.

I think it's time we all accepted that these mystery shapes are there simply to shoot down planes - or were, at least.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
Please enlighten me,
I have seen many of these patterns in various places
(AREA 51, Tonapah, air bases)
my question is this? what are all the little circles for? they seem to be there for a reason (the small ones within random areas of the star)

they look a bit like bomb craters

then there is the same patterns in target zones of missle ranges...
are they just former installations that are now targets? or practice?

also, I am curious... some of those sam sites are almost invisible from above...
while some might as well have red circles painted on them...
what would be the strategic benefit of having a SAM site that is visible from Mars? rather than a hidden one?

are they that easy to find no matter how well hidden, so hiding them is useless?
thanks

Those are SAM sites on the bombing ranges for Nellis AFB Nevada. They set up many buildings and SAM sites and airfields, etc for Red Flag. It doesn't really matter if you can see the SAM sites easily, because most of the time they have such a long range and high speed that they're either already shot, or are shooting as you see them. In combat you're so busy looking in 40 places at the same time that you may look right at the SAM site and not even register that it's a missile site.

top topics

join