It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Dyer County Tornado

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   
At approximately 2100hrs on Sunday, April 2nd a Tornado hit the small county of Dyer. There have been many deaths and the death toll is expected to climb; many people are still missing.

to day.reuters.com
There were 12 deaths in the Dyersburg area in northwest Tennessee, according to Dyer County Sheriff Jeff Holt. He said most of the victims were killed in homes which were demolished by apparent tornadoes.

In addition the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported two storm deaths in the St. Louis area.

Witnesses said there were at least two storms, possibly tornadoes, about 90 minutes apart on Sunday evening in Dyer County, with most of the damage done in a rural area called Mills Field where the local fire department was also destroyed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This story is an extremely personal one for me. 2 people that work at the plant I am employed at passed away in these Storms. I personally saw 2 Houses Destroyed on my way to work. One completely destroyed 3 dead from what I heard 2 seniors and possibly there grandchild. The other a 2 story house picked up off its foundation and moved out near the road. Downed power lines I scratched my car going into work on them there were so many. Again pray and hope for the best for these poor people.

[edit on 3-4-2006 by Riwka]

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing your personal eyewitness with us.
I hope the missing persons in your city will be found soon.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I hope so to...Church Services were going on in Mills Field. A Church was destroyed. Something like this is Devastating to a Community like ours. 12 people is ALLOT of people for a small community.I was told they had to get a Refrigeration Trailer to the Hospital because it could not handle the number of bodies....NOT able to confirm this but if so the 12 dead figure seems LOW.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   
There is nothing better than a member first-person story, but this isn't the kind of story I want us to have to share.
You and your community are definitely on many prayer lists.
Spring is just now starting, I hope this isn't the norm for this season.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I am so sorry! My thoughts are with you and the people impacted by these storms.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
My thoughts and prayers are with you and those in your area. I was watching that line move thru St Louis last night and commented to my wife, "this dont look good".

Its that time of year folks, weather changes going on, warm and cold air are colliding with explosive results. Keep one eye on the sky and the other on your family folks.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
See more Local updated info HERE

[edit on 3-4-2006 by Truth_Hunter_1976]

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
That looks bad:

Tennessee Emergency Management Agency spokesman Kurt Pickering told the Associated Press:

Fox News

"This is a high fatality count. (This) is among the bigger storms that I can remember in the almost eight years I¹ve been at TEMA."

TEMA officials estimated 1,200 buildings were damaged in Gibson County. Damage assessments were still under way in Dyer County.

Power outages were widespread across the area, with about 5,000 customers in Gibson County and half of Dyer County, which has about 37,000 residents, affected, Pickering said.

remains of what used to be the Police Station

apc

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
We were expecting to get hit by these storms but lucky for us they materialized just to the East of us.

March 12th however marked a very eventful storm system with funnel and wall clouds within city limits, but no touchdowns until they moved out of the city. An uncommonly early and very damaging storm. Most of the damage was from hail. I know several people whos cars where totalled.

I have a feeling this season is going to be an impressive one. Superstorms have been becoming more and more frequent in the past few years, and this year will likely be no exception.

I

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Pictures Taken By My Father

Church in Mills Field that got hit

[edit on 3-4-2006 by Truth_Hunter_1976]

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Used to be a House....

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Mills Field Fire Station

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Another Destroyed Home in Mills Field

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   

yet Another Destroyed Home in Mills Field

Again Credit to My father Tony for the Pictures

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Thanks to you and your father for sharing the pictures with us.

That looks really bad....

Is your family ok, how much is your house /your parents house damaged?

I feel so sorry for your little city - may all the injured have a speedy recovery.

How fast was this Tornado?

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Me and mine are fine Wired enough it did not even rain in my town but out were my work is located sustained most of the damage and Deaths in the town of Newbern.....I was told recently that it was an F3 Tornado over a mile wide.....

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing this devastating news with us.

I cannot even begin to imagine what this type of disaster must be like. And, it's always worse when it's at night. I know I hate to go to sleep when there is a tornado watch for my area.

I thought I heard that there was a 25 mile wide swathe through a part of Tennessee, but you know how the MSM can be.

I also here this may be a banner season for tornadoes. Especially if warm moist air comes north while there's still a lot of cold air from the north.
Does anyone know if this has anything to do with El Nino/La Nina?

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The Death toll in Dyer County has now reached 24............PLUS my state as whole has been decimated with Counties near Nashville getting hit 11 deaths plus so far with MASSIVE property damage.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 06:46 AM
link   
UPDATE: A Year Later and most things have been Rebuilt homes,Lives The Only reminder is the one lot that is just a Slab of concrete. Its the saddest one because it is the home were the Infant was killed with his Grandparents.For the Most Part we have gone from the Bad weather to the NO weather here in the MID_SOUTH major drought has hurt all the agriculture around here.Energy Prices are going up due to lack of water to Power TVA Hydro Electric dames. If the Fall,Winter and Spring does not bring MAJOR precip....we in the south arre going to have MAJOR problems.

new topics

top topics

join