It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cockroaches Are Democratic!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Researchers at the Department of Social Ecology at the Free University of Brussels in Belgium have determined that cockroaches live in a simple democracy. They found that every member of the group has equal standing and a group consultation precedes every important decision that will affect the group.

Cockroaches live in a democracy

Cockroaches govern themselves in a very simple democracy where each insect has equal standing and group consultations precede decisions that affect the entire group, indicates a new study.

[...]

Halloy tested cockroach group behaviour by placing the insects in a dish that contained three shelters. The test was to see how the cockroaches would divide themselves into the shelters.

After much "consultation", through antenna probing, touching and more, the cockroaches divided themselves up perfectly.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Facsinating. I'll say this much about the roaches -- they appear to be more democratic then humans. We don't have simple democracies. What we have are convoluted versions of it -- representative democracies.

Now I am even more convinced that the roaches will inherit the Earth.

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   
^Bump^

...because I saw a council of cockroaches as I got back from work just now and it reminded me of this thread. Also because I figured this news article is really interesting, but the response or lack thereof has been very disappointing.

I should have posted it in ATS... under the Science forum. Or better yet, in the New World Order forum

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Thats pretty cool.

I always say we humans dont give enough credit to other species for their intelligence. We blindly assume they simply react, and dont have any decision making abilities.

Cockroaches though... man that suprised me.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 03:49 AM
link   

I can see it now:

Roach Bill: "Hey Roach Monica, how about I put this probe here...."

Roach Monica: "Oooh, Roach Bill! I think you got something on my shell..."

Roach Hilary: "Roach Bill! Did you just probe Roach Monica!"

Roach Bill: "No way! I swear!"

Roach Hilary: "You damn liar, you can sleep in your own shelter tonight!"

Roach Bill: "*sob* Roach Monica, can I sleep with you?"

Roach Monica: "Huh? Er.....no."

And thats how the Democratic Roaches end up sleeping in their own shelters!

Sorry, It's early and I couldn't resist. :shk:

new topics

top topics

join