It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Bush Names David Paulison As New FEMA Head

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 04:40 AM
link   
The Federal Emergency Management Agency will now have a permanent director months after former chief Michael Brown's resignation September 2005. President George Bush is apt to nominate David Paulison to permanently lead the Agency. After seven candidates pulled out of the race to fill the top position, Mr. Bush decided to name the veteran firefighter. The announcement for this appointment will arrive shortly, followed by an confirming vote by the Senate.

reuters.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - With hurricane season two months away, President George W. Bush is likely to nominate the acting director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, David Paulison, as his permanent choice to head the agency, a Republican official said on Sunday.

Paulison, a veteran firefighter, was named acting director of FEMA after Michael Brown resigned last September in the face of bitter complaints about the federal government's response to Hurricane Katrina.

The Republican official said it was expected that an announcement would come soon nominating Paulison, 59, to the position, which requires Senate confirmation.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The relevancy of this announcement focuses on how Mr. Paulison will handle FEMA after being the agency's acting director. It will be interesting to see whether he will act quickly in light of another drastic disaster contrary to Brown's lukewarm approach. Also, during the Senate Confirmation, Mr. Paulison's credentials will be scrutinized more in detail to ensure that his approach is applicable towards saving the agency's reputation. But the question still stands. Will he actually be useful? Or just another liability in the guise of Michael Brown?

New York Times

[edit on 3-4-2006 by ceci2006]

[edit on 10-4-2006 by asala]

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 03:19 PM
link   
So...did this guy lie on his resume to get the job, or pay someone within the administration? I mean, is he incompetent, or grossly incompetent, because thats an important position, and we can't settle for mere incompetence and regular cronyism.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
To me it doesn't matter who is the head of FEMA anymore, taking into consideration that they fall under Home land security.

So they have to follow the new bureaucratic BS dealing with one Agency ahead of them.

Well let see how this year Hurricane season will put all these agencies to the test.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 12:04 AM
link   
At first, you would think that a firefighter would have experience about disaster relief. But, is that enough? I just feel that the before the confirmation vote, investigation better be done to make sure that this man is up for the job. Strangely enough, there is a habit in Washington of just "okaying" everything that is supportive of the POTUS' choices. I hope that this time, they keep Katrina in mind when thinking about letting Mr. Paulison serve as the permanent head.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I thought Pat Paulson was dead.
Oh sorry my mistake David Paulison. Given the idiot we have in the oval orfice today...lets dig good ole Pat up, he couldn't be any worse.

For you children who don't know who Pat Paulson was, he was a comedian, on the original Laugh In (if I recall correctly) who was perpetually running for president.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Yes, grover, I was one of those born after the death of JFK. I wasn't even born when "Laugh In" was on. But I do know that Pat Paulsen was also in Harper Valley PTA!

I do know the difference, however. He ran under the Democratic Party, if memory serves.

But seriously, I hope that Congress takes a lot of caution when deciding who will head FEMA.

BTW, I have always wondered...why didn't Mr. Chertoff get as much blame as Michael Brown in the Katrina mess?

[edit on 4-4-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
There's always a skeleton in the closet. It seems Mr. Paulison fits right in with Bush's administration.

The news, coming as it did just days after the terrorist attacks on the United States, outraged the nation: Three Miami-Dade County firefighters -- Muslims -- refused, because of their political beliefs, to fly the flag of the United States on their fire truck.(1)
The accounts turned out to be wrong, a fact affirmed by a subsequent fire department investigation. The three black firefighters were not Muslims, and they didn't refuse to ride with the flag. They did, however, voice their strong opinions about racial inequality and race-based discrimination in the U.S., hard opinions they'd been expressing for years and which already had earned them enmity within the confines of the majority-white fire department.(2)
It is true that the shift driver, James Moore, removed a large flag from his truck; Moore asserts the flag obstructed his view and covered the ladder controls so as to impede rotation of the aerial. He doesn't mind adding that he wasn't inclined to fly the flag in any case because he, like the other two black firefighters on duty, simply doesn't regard it as a symbol of equality and justice. (1)
The three, hastily put on administrative leave after they became notorious for acts they didn't commit, were directed to return to work in late October 2001.(2)
But the firefighters were not cleared, and as much as county officials would like to have done with it, the matter is far from closed. The fire chief at the time, David Paulison (since moved to Washington as U.S. Fire Administrator), ordered disciplinary action against Clark and Moore, not because they violated the law but because they offended and distressed many of their fellow firefighters by expressing unpopular views during a time of crisis. In other words the two were punished for exercising their First Amendment rights to freedom of speech.(2)

1. www.miaminewtimes.com...
2. www.miaminewtimes.com...

David Paulison, as new head of FEMA, will tell all those aflicted by disaster, 'Stop bitching and raise that American flag!'

[edit on 4-4-2006 by Jamuhn]

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Jamuhn

Hey what can you expect from an administration that has shown over and over their disregard for the constitution

Well he will fit right into the job, I mean whenever a distraught victim of a natural disaster complain he will be right there to take him to a nice evacuation camp and denied him or her the basic necessities for expressing their opinion and using their right to free speech.

Is going to be a wonderful hurricane season. . . Heck yeah Mr.new FEMA director will may sure that all evacuees and victims will behave nicely.

Or is going to be concentration camps for them

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Wow. I think Paulison might fit right in with the other of Bush's cronies. After all, taking a hard line on First Amendment comes naturally for those folks. Doesn't it?

When birds of a feather.......

And more dirt comes out. Beside being accused of violating the First Amendment rights of two African-American Firefighters, he was also implicated in former FEMA head Tom Ridge's advice to use "Duct Tape" in wake of post-9/11 preparedness. Here are a few sources that highlight this:

usatoday.com

WASHINGTON — R. David Paulison, the new head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, is a seasoned disaster-response expert who has spent years as a behind-the-scenes administrator. Yet he redefined the nation's emergency preparedness with just five words: duct tape and plastic sheeting.

In a small briefing with reporters in 2003, it was Paulison who urged Americans to stock up on those hardware store staples so they could seal windows and doors in a biological or chemical weapons attack. The advice became a staple of late-night comics, who usually misattributed the comment to Tom Ridge, then secretary of Homeland Security.

The Bush administration hasn't put Paulison in front of reporters much since then.

R. David Paulison: Skeletons in Mr. Duct Tape's Closet

So, it comes out that it is Mr. Paulison that we have to thank instead of Tom Ridge for the plastic sheeting and the duct tape for terrorism preparation.

How about them apples?

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Who else but the sleeze of the earth would Bush appoint?

Another snake oil salesman.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   
And sadly enough, he could be thanked for the rise in duct tape sales. After all, he added to the hysteria that happened after the government used "fear tactics" on the American Populace.

cnn.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Americans have apparently heeded the U.S. government's advice to prepare for terror attacks, emptying hardware store shelves of duct tape.

On Tuesday, less than 24 hours after U.S. Fire Administrator David Paulison described a list of useful items, stores in the greater Washington, D.C. area reported a surge in sales of plastic sheeting, duct tape, and other emergency items.

These items, Paulison said, can be helpful after a biological, chemical or radiological attack. A Lowe's hardware store in Alexandria, Virginia, said every roll of duct tape has been sold. Another Alexandria Home Depot store reported sales of duct tape tripled overnight.

On a side note, I still wonder why Mr. Chertoff doesn't shoulder his part of the blame for Katrina. After all he is the Dept. of Homeland Security Chief. And as far as I'm concerned, he is as implicated in the mess as ex-FEMA head Michael Brown.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Whats the problem with the duct tape and plastic sheets? They would work, they woud produce a lower death count in the event of such an attack. People thought it was a massive scare tactic, looks like it was just something that one guy came up with.

jamuhn
because they offended and distressed many of their fellow firefighters by expressing unpopular views during a time of crisis

Meh, could be worse. At least this is a case of someone going to extremes to make sure that the job gets done, eh?
The other clowns are just as tyrannical and can't even get medics into a stadium.

[edit on 6-4-2006 by Nygdan]

[edit on 6-4-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Nygdan, I suppose you are right. I could imagine it doing the job on doors and windows for a while. But in a biological attack--with either viruses or other airborne entities swirling in the air for a while, I really don't think they can really keep disease out. If cities are not quarantined right away, and people have already developed the symptoms, the disease can still penetrate the home.

But on the other hand, it's official now. David Paulison is now ready for confirmation. I heard the announcement today on the news.

new topics

top topics

join