It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What weird things have people eaten?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ed 209

I expected this thread to be full of things like 'I eat glass' and 'mmm, crayons'.

Here's one for ya My nephew eats pebbles (not the fruity kind) and I remember the boys in my school used to eat different color paper and swear each color had a different food taste. That was like junior high. Now in high school one boy ate a whole stick of glue for $5 and another boy swallowed a whole can of chew for a dollar. Boys! :shk:

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I've eaten scorpion before, tasty, but not much to them. Shark is good as well, weird because I'm not usually a fan of fish.

All kinds of crustacean are lush, not sure if urchin counts, but it's finger lickin' good!

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I tried jerk croc from Aus' which was nice, But it tasted like chicken IMHO. lol

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Most of my fav weird food comes from the sea, with the exception of beef tongue sandwiches smeared with mustard:

pickled wrinkles (sea snails in vinegar)
sea cucumber (deep fried strips--here in downeast Maine we call them 'coral clams')
calamari (squid)
octopus (deep fried)
sea urchins (tried the roe raw once. didn't like it.)
dried, salted fish (fish jerky)
fried eel
bladders (lobsters that have just molted. Their shells are so tender and tear very easily. At this point, their meat is very sweet.)
wolf fish (just about the ugliest looking fish in the world. Absolutely delish, though. Its teeth are almost human-shaped. And strong. Known to snap a broomstick in half.)

Speaking of lobsters, there's no way I'll eat the tomalley (the brownish-green puddin-like stomach of the lobster), but my hubby loves the 'delicacy'.

[edit: spelling mistake]

[edit on 19-8-2006 by Smile]

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 03:53 AM
link   
[edited: double post. Must have hit clicked the post button twice.]

[edit on 19-8-2006 by Smile]

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Often you can find jerky of various strange meats. Personally I have had elk,venison,and buffalo jerky. They were all very good.
I had elk sausage in colorado, my dad also managed to find a place that does buffalo burgers.
I had venison steak in hawaii.
I had shark empanidillas(pastry dough filled with meat) in puerto rico.
I think thats about all, oh and one time I had quail egg.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Wow,
Alot of people here have eaten some
food.......I was going to get up and eat something, but now dont really feel like it!
Dads a hunter......I have eaten rabbit,(not anymore)
Eaten kangaroo.......too red and gamey for me.
Wild pigs/boars?.......dont like it.
wild birds.....not anymore.
Lambs brains.......lol,not anymore........
lambs sweet meats(bread/beads,something like that!)?.......i think this is the lambs
? near the neck somewhere?
Stinging nettles......this actually grows wild and is a good 'blood tonic', and some smoke it,lol,it stinks when smoked!
I remember yrs back ......family use to go out camping and collect wild grass and cook it like spinach, add lemon and olive oil,salt to taste.....we would get called ''You F'n WOGS go back home.....which is funny, coz now this same wild grass is actually sold at health food stores for around $10.00 a bag, when it can be found growing wild..
Someone mentioned ants in chocolate?
There is actually a Restaurant that has all sorts of wierd,well, exotic foods.....Aboriginal Cousine

swallowed a fly,and a bug or two..........not my fault,lol,I'm sure everyone has done this, at least once in their life,and then trying to cough it up,only it ends up coming out of your nose instead!
I remember chewing on the stems of some type of small yellow flower......taste like 'sour' lollies?
I think thats about it.....

helen

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Wow, all the exotic food, makes me hungry!!

Alligator - Killed it myself, too!

Raccoon,
Nutria Rat (kinda stringy),
Chocolate Covered Ants (crunchy),
Grasshopper Tacos (remove the wings),
Frog Legs (woot! make ya wanna slap ya mamma!)
Doves (I didn't know, but it was like a Cornish Hen)
Snapping Turtle (yummy!!)
Candied Rock Fungus

I must say, the Candied Rock Fungus was a hilarious moment though. I was throwing this Southeast Asian dinner for my CEO and some coworkers when I lived in Seattle, WA, and I had to leave my partner to entertain them to run out to the QFC(grocery) to get a Ms. Smith's Cherry Pie because that fungus was NASTY!

"I'm happy you enjoyed this gourmet dinner, boss, now have a slice of previously frozen cherry pie."

I never lived that down at work, I promise you!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join