It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

microsoft windows vista operating system

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
they did it again, microsoft has added another operating system to their archives. i know its not currently released but what information do you know about this system? could it really be any better at all than windows xp? would you upgrade to vista? i found this

msdn.microsoft.com...

"Windows Vista introduces breakthroughs in user experience, security and reliability, enabling you to build applications that bring clarity to the user's complex world of information."

"Windows Vista is the next major version of Microsoft Windows, the proprietary operating system developed by Microsoft. Prior to the announcement of the Vista name on July 22, 2005, it was known by its codename Longhorn, after the Longhorn Saloon, a popular bar in Whistler, British Columbia. According to Microsoft, the scheduled release date for Windows Vista is currently November 2006 for business editions, and January 2007 for consumer editions. These release dates come more than five years after the release of Windows XP, Microsoft's current consumer and business operating system, making this the longest time span between releases of Windows. Vista will be one of the most substantial updates in the history of Windows in terms of new features and under-the-hood changes, and is thought to be the largest and most costly software development project in the history of computing."

if you know anything more or new post it here.

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   
As anything it will probably be flawed in the initial release. Any newly released program will face this as an inevability. I wold recommend the upgrade in time but their is no rush that is for sure. Let all the bugs be sorted out and then move up.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Even though I am no way a fan of Microsoft, i'll be getting the next Public Beta whenever it comes out in the next couple of months to give it a try.

And the current release date has been pushed back to soemtime in 2007.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Of course I will upgrade to Windows Vista when it's ready, mainly to take advantage of 64-bit CPU and latest DirectX versions for gaming.

I already have 64-bit capability since many moons ago with Solaris operating system or Linux on SPARC hardware, but when Windows finally support that, why the hell not use it, you know.

As for the flaws and bugs in Windows, I got accustomed to it, this crappy operating system is so bloated I think the Microsoft developpers just don't bother anymore.

It's not impossible to build flawless software, I mean look at mission critical software used for aviation or medical, I bet you could offer $1 million to anyone finding one single bug in those kind of softwares and nobody would claim the price.

So since Microsoft are making toys, I guess we have to learn not to expect too much quality from them.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
i have released a linux distro having all the security features of windows vista...though win has delayed its release due to slow booting probs..my distro works lightning fast on 64MB RAM.......

it is based on Slackware and vector linux..im looking for an upload space to upload my iso..u can try it for free

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I have a solution to your microsoft woes... its called Ubuntu.

Honestly, I am SO fed up with Microsofts half assed operating systems. I mean, I could spend hours trying to screw up any linux operating system, and I still wouldnt have caused as many bugs and security holes as the windows operating system has.

Windows is incredibly unstable... mind you, I've seen programs crash in linux (that would be the fault of the programmer)... but never in my life have I witnessed the operating system itself crash.

I swear by linux, the many many flavors of it.

I reccomend Knoppix, and Ubuntu for beginners.
Knoppix because you just cant screw it up (great for experimenting)...
and ubuntu because of its incredible user friendlieness.

Some common myths propegated by microsoft:
"There arent any programs for linux"
WRONG simply WRONG, any program that has been made for windows CAN be (and probably already has been) ported to linux. Not to mention most software developers write their programs for Linux first because its easy to test them on... (most of whom end up leaking a copy out).

"Linux is text based and you have to remember alot of commands"
WRONG WRONG WRONG! Linux has had a GUI interface for a LONG time. Copying files and accessing programs is ALOT easier than in windows. The menus are better layed out, and the programs start VERY fast.

"You have to know alot about computers to install linux"
Again wrong. Most linux distrobutions come with a self installer that installs as easy if not easier than windows. (Not to mention it actually keeps you informed of its progress).
If you stumble across a linux flavor that isnt easy to install... its typically marked as such. And is intended for hobbyists ONLY, some people like to build an operating system from the ground up... for the new guys, stick to what is already made for you.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 01:41 AM
link   

they did it again, microsoft has added another operating system to their archives. i know its not currently released but what information do you know about this system? could it really be any better at all than windows xp? would you upgrade to vista? i found this

msdn.microsoft.com...

"Windows Vista introduces breakthroughs in user experience, security and reliability, enabling you to build applications that bring clarity to the user's complex world of information."

"Windows Vista is the next major version of Microsoft Windows, the proprietary operating system developed by Microsoft. Prior to the announcement of the Vista name on July 22, 2005, it was known by its codename Longhorn, after the Longhorn Saloon, a popular bar in Whistler, British Columbia. According to Microsoft, the scheduled release date for Windows Vista is currently November 2006 for business editions, and January 2007 for consumer editions. These release dates come more than five years after the release of Windows XP, Microsoft's current consumer and business operating system, making this the longest time span between releases of Windows. Vista will be one of the most substantial updates in the history of Windows in terms of new features and under-the-hood changes, and is thought to be the largest and most costly software development project in the history of computing."

if you know anything more or new post it here.

You will likely learn all you want to know at the Neowin web site. Do take everything that is said with a pinch of salt though. With a mixture of Windows, Unix, Linux, BSD, and Mac users you can be certain there will be quite a bit of wrong information posted by users of all flavors; however, with a bit of research into the claims (Google) you can separate truth from misinformation and disinformation.

As anything it will probably be flawed in the initial release. Any newly released program will face this as an inevability. I wold recommend the upgrade in time but their is no rush that is for sure. Let all the bugs be sorted out and then move up.

I agree. I would recommend waiting at least two months before considering the upgrade. Major updates to a software product can create some initial problems that were not seen during the development phase.

I have a solution to your microsoft woes... its called Ubuntu.

I don't recall anyone here seeking advice on which operating system to switch to because of their "microsoft woes."

Some common myths propegated by microsoft:
"There arent any programs for linux"
WRONG simply WRONG, any program that has been made for windows CAN be (and probably already has been) ported to linux. Not to mention most software developers write their programs for Linux first because its easy to test them on... (most of whom end up leaking a copy out).

"Linux is text based and you have to remember alot of commands"
WRONG WRONG WRONG! Linux has had a GUI interface for a LONG time. Copying files and accessing programs is ALOT easier than in windows. The menus are better layed out, and the programs start VERY fast.

"You have to know alot about computers to install linux"
Again wrong. Most linux distrobutions come with a self installer that installs as easy if not easier than windows. (Not to mention it actually keeps you informed of its progress).

Are you sure Microsoft is the one propagating those myths?

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I have seen Windows Vista running in a Athlon 1600+ with 512MB of RAM and a GeForce 2 MX 400 and I liked it.

It was slower than Windows XP on the same machine, but not too slow, it was really usable.

Needs 8 GB free space for instalation, but after that it "only" used 5GB of disk space.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Needs 8 GB free space for instalation, but after that it "only" used 5GB of disk space.

That's Shocking!

It will probably use the other 3GB on Windows updates and future service packs!

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   
If PC games like Halo 2 are going to demand Vista and nobody manages to hack it so you can play it on XP or older Windows operating systems I will be kind of forced to use it as I game a lot and prefer Windows games before Xbox. This only applies if the game doesn't get released on GNU/Linux. Windows Vista is probably more secure, stable and more functional than XP but It still works in very similar ways which disgust me. And I've tried many alphas and betas and there is nothing revolutionary about the new features. You can get similar and even better features with GNU/Linux. Things I'm thinking of are XGL and Beagle for ex. Gentoo linux fits me perfectly for desktop use and Win XP x86_64 for gaming and I won't upgrade until someone forces me too.

[edit on 2006-4-23 by bracke]

top topics

join