It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosion in Downtown Toronto Tim Horton's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   
An explosion killed one person in a Downtown Toronto Tim Horton's donut and coffee shop. The man was killed when a device exploded in the shop's washroom.

www.theage.com.au
A man has died in a "wall of flames" in a downtown Toronto coffee shop, after a device exploded inside a washroom, according to police and eyewitnesses.

Eyewitness Jenny Phillips said she heard bangs - like pops from a firecracker - and a scream "that will haunt me forever" as she left the washroom area in the Tim Hortons shop, an iconic Canadian coffee and doughnut chain recently spun off from parent company Wendy's International.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

A very similar incident took place in a Starbucks coffee shop in San Francisco on January 9th 2006. In the San Francisco incident, police defused a pipe-bomb placed in the washroom of the Starbuck's store.

Back in 2000, a Montreal store of Canadian coffee shop chain Second Cup was also the victim of a Molotov Cocktail attack. At the time, the attack was blamed on Quebec separatist extremists.

All three chains, however, would make logical targets for anti-globalization activists and even eco-terrorists.

Related News Links:
www.sfgate.com
cbc.ca

[edit on 6-4-2006 by asala]

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Could this be drug, or gang-related? or is it the default "axis-of-evil" event?

apc

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Interesting. Tonight the local news reported this explosion, but completely omitted any reference to a device in the washroom. Simply an explosion in a donut shop with one dead.

While I expect the omission was simply because knowledge of the device had not yet hit the wire, I hope my trusted local news agency is not intentionally leaving out rather important details of this story. Heaven forbid the media were to leave parts out of something like this...

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 01:25 AM
link   

A mysterious man and a small can of gasoline are behind an explosion that rocked a downtown Toronto Tim Hortons, killing him and causing a city block's evacuation.
(snip)....
"The scene indicates a very intense, very hot flash fire that took place at that location," Police Chief Bill Blair told reporters.
(snip)...
"He's not a strap-on, al Qaeda bomber guy," Toronto Police Staff Sgt. Don Cole said Sunday evening. "It sounds to me like a guy who either wanted to do a torch job or commit suicide."

There is no word yet on what caused the gasoline to ignite. The fire marshal's office will join the investigation.

source

So it doesn't look like a terrorist, or group of terrorists, just one guy and a gas can. Question is why would they let a guy with a gas can in the washroom in the first place? I have been to that coffee shop and it was quite busy. Its easy to see why people would panic in such a busy shop.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Could it be a drunk hobo who had the brillant idea to light a smoke while holding the gas can in his hand. It's not uncommon to see idiots smoking next to a gas pump.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Al Qeada has found our weak spot...policemen of the world beware, they're going after our donut shops!!!

Probably gang related or some kook. I doubt Osama Bin Laden is going to take out Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Creme, but if he does it will shake the foundation of western civilization, thats for sure.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 07:25 AM
link   

A very similar incident took place in a Starbucks coffee shop in San Francisco on January 9th 2006. In the San Francisco incident, police defused a pipe-bomb placed in the washroom of the Starbuck's store.

I believe this turned out to be a flashlight, not a pipe bomb.

What authorities thought was a bomb in a Starbucks coffee shop turned out to be a flashlight casing, police said Thursday.

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 07:57 AM
link   
roll up the rim?

maybe someone was fed up with constantly winning 'please play again'.

Tim Horton.... was a great hockey player for the Leafs.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
When reports first came out, they described a man with a bomb strapped to his chest, with wires protruding, going into the back room followed by an explosion. The man was badly burned, and died before he reached the hospital, I think.

o_O

Now it's a nut with a can of gas?

Was it just my imagination, or did a bomb robot roll in after the first explosion, to disarm a second device? Was there no second device?

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The robot was used.

They blew up a duffel bag containing school supplies.

Shortly after Sunday's blast, a police robot was used to detonate a suspicious duffel bag found nearby as a precaution. The bag contained school supplies.

ctv.ca

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   
The problem with linking this to the san francisco starbucks incident is that in that case, it wasn't a pipe bomb, in fact it wasn't an explosive at all.

new topics

top topics

join