It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain's Cold War Torture Camp

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Declassified documents from the Guardian Newspaper have today revealed the nature and extent of systematic and brutal torture inflicted on 'communist agents' by the British army in 1946. Only one officer was ever convicted as a result. Warning - pictures associated with newslink could be upsetting for those of a very nervous disposition.

www.guardian.co.uk

Photographs of victims of a secret torture programme operated by British authorities during the early days of the cold war are published for the first time today after being concealed for almost 60 years.

The pictures show men who had suffered months of starvation, sleep deprivation, beatings and extreme cold at one of a number of interrogation centres run by the War Office in postwar Germany.

A few were starved or beaten to death, while British soldiers are alleged to have tortured some victims with thumb screws and shin screws recovered from a gestapo prison. The men in the photographs are not Nazis, however, but suspected communists, arrested in 1946 because they were thought to support the Soviet Union, an ally 18 months earlier.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I had always regarded the systematic torture of prisoners as something that the British Army just did not do, unlike, say the US in Abu Gharaib. The only redeeming feature of the episode appears to be that a Royal Navy officer was instrumental in shutting the sordid affair down.

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk

[edit on 2-4-2006 by TaupeDragon]

[edit on 6-4-2006 by asala]

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   

I had always regarded the systematic torture of prisoners as something that the British Army just did not do,

Why? The British were one of the first nations to make use of concentration camps. They developed VX gas. They gained an empire through military conquest that controlled through force and social coercion a quarter of the globe.

unlike, say the US in Abu Gharaib

Since when are anglos so much better than americans????

to have tortured some victims with thumb screws and shin screws recovered from a gestapo prison.

Well, the british do have something the americans don't, a sense of history and irony, apparently.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Just think if this news was about the USA...

There would be 20 pages of people screaming about how evil we are by now.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   
This is over 70 years old, its nto right but whats the point in bringing it up?
We can learn some "great" lesson....no....I think its just more dirt....the more dirt and more evil reported by the news or the "good guys" the more money they get.

I ask you one thing though, who will you believe about gitmo? The honourable soldiers of the United states military which has strict lines on POWS and the enemy? Or the poor defenceless freedom fighters struggling to defend against the evil western oppressors?....I leave the choice to you because after all it is all opinion and perception.

Who is to define what is "right" and "wrong" in the world? Us? The human race has commited crimes on a biblical proportion. I laugh at these self proclaimed "human rights activists" ....tell me....what diffrence will allowing one side to not commit a sin yet let the other go unpunished?

Though there are many self proclaimed human rights activists that do try and be impartial but ofcourse one side will always have the better counter intelligence unit and stop any other image of their "soldiers" being portrayed.

I have to ask....what would happen if a spanish officer killed 40 people on UN duty because he was "under threat"? And on the same day a US officer beats a subject with a batton in gitmo. Whch of the two would receive more press coverage?

top topics

join