It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Easter Island inhabitants wiped out by Aliens?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Where the easter Island inhabatants wiped out? If so, by what? I have come to the conclusion that they were wiped out by the greys.

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I don't think the Greys would want to destroy such a isloated people. The Easter Island inhabitants used to be very peaceful, until the explorers came. They greeted them openly and allowed them to visit with the island. Later on, these explorers brutally murdered many of the inhabitants and fled the island. This aused many people to become distraught, and at the same time, a massive dying out of the plant life on their island commensed. Soon, the food ran scarce and any visitors at all were NOT welcomed. All this contributed to their demise.

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Have either of you got any information to back up either of your claims?

Last I checked, they didn't even know who existed on the Easter Island, let alone who killed them off. :|

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I recieved my info from a few different documentaries on the History and Discovery Channel. Both displaying almost the same info. I'm sure somewhere online there may be some info, so I'll see if I can find anything.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Perhaps it would help to do a bit of research on Easter Island?

Try wikipedia for starters

The native population was much reduced, and the local culture in decline (mainly as a consequence of over-exploitation of natural resource - only after they chopped down the last tree did they realise they now had no wood to build a boat, let alone move a statue
), by the time the island was discovered by the Dutch. However, the nearest the islanders came to being wiped out was during the 19th century as a result of slave traders and diseases introduced by westerners - by 1870 there were only 110 islanders left....

Or is the suggestion that the statues were erected by a lost group of inhabitants before the arrival of the polynesians? And that it's this unknown group - who left no other evidence of their existence - that were 'wiped out' by aliens?

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
yeah therer is no real mystery there...they made the statues as a status symbol...show how rich they were..lol till they ran out of trees "easter island was once entirely forested with a giant palm species" after they ran out of tress and could not make boats there religion reformed into worship of a "bird man" one assumes they wished they could fly home to fiji or wherever they came from first hehe

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
Perhaps it would help to do a bit of research on Easter Island?

Try wikipedia for starters

The native population was much reduced, and the local culture in decline (mainly as a consequence of over-exploitation of natural resource - only after they chopped down the last tree did they realise they now had no wood to build a boat, let alone move a statue
), by the time the island was discovered by the Dutch. However, the nearest the islanders came to being wiped out was during the 19th century as a result of slave traders and diseases introduced by westerners - by 1870 there were only 110 islanders left....

Or is the suggestion that the statues were erected by a lost group of inhabitants before the arrival of the polynesians? And that it's this unknown group - who left no other evidence of their existence - that were 'wiped out' by aliens?

This is what I was talking about. Got a few facts distorted, but for the most part I remembered it right. and yes, the statues were erected to symbolize status and family. I think they have proof that a reduction of food resources which helped cause their demise was due to a competition the islanders held to build the largest head statue. I think it was on one of the shows I read.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Watch the movie "Rapanui", it tells all about what happened on Easter Island and this is the final conclusion that most experts have come to believe - that the people died off as a result of intertribal conflict and using up their resources.

-Forestlady

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Maybe.....

Good theories.....Maybe the easter Island inhabatants were hostile, and warlike. It was an ancient civilization.

We dont know yet. Its possible, maybe it isnt.

Still, Ill have to research more....

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moonshards Shadow
Maybe the easter Island inhabatants were hostile, and warlike. It was an ancient civilization.

Documentations of the first voyage here, which do exist, showed the people as a very peaceful, welcoming culture. In fact, oin the documents it tells that the same man that rowed out to greet the ship, was killed later that night at a celebration held for the newcomers.

The explorers used the people to get supplies, and later that night opened fire on the natives and fled. It was decades later that people came back, and by this time, over-use of resources and the cultures realization of weapons and violence that was brought by the first explorers had dwindled the population. And from the stories told by the elders of the explorers, the younger natives took to any newcomers as extreme enemies.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 04:57 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

Not saying this is the gospel truth but what the archaeologists seem to be saying is that the trees were gone by sometime in the 17th century, and the quarry was abandoned around that time.
Shortly thereafter, bird and fish bones stop showing up on the island in such great quantity, presumably because the trees where birds nest and which boats are made of are all gone.

Then... spear points make their debut on the island in large numbers, quickly followed by remains with conspicuous wounds.

About a century later, the Europeans show up and find them carving figures of emaciated humans and worshipping a bird-man.

Question: Is the birdman all about escape, or does he reflect a change in the food chain?

Apparently they not only lumberjacked themselves out of their religion, but out of their ecosystem and into a civil war over food. If I had to guess, and it's just that- a guess, I'd say they didn't tip over their own moai- they tipped over their eachothers.

The real mystery is what the hell was going on in these people's minds when they saw the forest getting thin and kept cutting.
The answer is the reason that I'm an atheist.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 05:28 AM
link   
i have to say easter island has always fascinated me, the statues especailly

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond

The real mystery is what the hell was going on in these people's minds when they saw the forest getting thin and kept cutting.

In years to come they may ask the same about our whole society today - the way we're destroying the environment around us

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I saw David Attenborough on my local History Channel a few days ago, and he did mention the "aliens built the statues" thing, even presented a nice painting to illustrate it, but sadly he had nothing more to say of that particular theory. And "Easter Island inhabitants wiped out by Aliens" would have to be a fairly recent event, seeing as how Cap'n Cook visited them in the 1770s, Russian explorers in the 1820s, etc. I certainly never heard that they had gone off somewhere.

Basically, Attenborough's stance was that the islanders came over from Polynesia some 1500 years ago, evolved a nice little society cut off from their home islands, erected the statues to commemorate the chief of the clan who won that year's "swim-to-the-rocky-island-just-offshore-and-return-with-a-complete-bird's-egg-first" competition, over time expanded their population and so cut down the trees to clear farmland to feed everyone, and - hey presto! - one day there were so few trees left that they couldn't even build canoes to get off the island. That's when they started fighting the other clans for resources, which took so much time that they couldn't maintain the cults and gradually forgot the purpose of the stone figures. And the very specific trees of the island were apparently reduced to nothing more than one single rotting stump by the time the botanists could determine the type.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   
like Vagabond said, obsidian spear points were constructed during the islands third epoch of history. The short ears killed off the long ears at Poikes ditch (except for one long ear survivor) and the following wave of war and cannibilism was short ear against short ear only. Both of which were unknown in the islands history and indicate once the long ears were all dead, the short ears decided to do what they wanted and they used up all the islands rescources. Prior to the arrival of the short ears (Polynesian), war and abuse of environment was unknown on Easter Island among the Long Ear (uru-kehu) original inhabitants.

The short ears kept cutting the trees because they were not the tribe that transplanted the trees, totora reeds, and sweet potatoes in the first place. They didn't care about them because they resorted to their Polynesian custom of food stock people and also eating the neighboring islanders.

When the short ears homeland sunk and they sailed to Easter Island and found the long ear tribe living there, they were permitted to stay. They picked up some of the long ear culture and customs and the two tribes actually lived together peaceably for awhile. Then they betrayed and killed off the long ears not long before 1722 when the Dutch found it. By that time most of the statues were toppled, but the remaining culture was a mixture of long ear and short ear. The earliest journals do indicate though the islanders still revered the statues and left offerings during the rising of the sun at the base of the few standing statues. This was done by the lighter decendants of the one surviving long ear. It is unclear which tribe the tatooing originally belonged to, nor the rongo rongo writing. The early European explorers noted the islanders were a mixture of Polynesian and something else because they were. The earliest explorers journals from that point on show a further shift away from the few remaining long ear customs to striclty short ear (Polynesian) i.e. early journals show many of the islanders extended their earlobes but later did not. but it would have been nice to see long ear culture in its original form.

I wont even get into the following slave raids off the 1800's..... that damn near wiped out the population that had wiped out the earlier long ear population.

much of that areas original islanders were tribal Caucasian men from Peru until they were murdered and eaten by the invading Polynesians. Bet the history channel didn't mention that at all. heck even in 1500's when Europeans discoverd the Marquesas, they were greeted by 400 war canoes, paddled by tribal long haired white men with blue tatoos! You can still see flashes of the urukehu red haired strain to this day on Easter Island, New Zealand, and Hawaii!

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 02:43 AM
link   
There is a lot of information in your post that I'm not familiar with Mosca. Very interesting. Any idea where I might read up on that?

Most of what I've read about the long-ears/short-ears didn't make much sense, because is assumed the Long Ears were the European slavers- but by the time the Dutch arrived, if I understand correctly, the war was long over.

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 03:02 AM
link   
We don´t know who they were. We don´t even know if they were killed. They could have been moved, either volunteerly or by force. Maybe they got to ride in them space ships somewhere? Somewhere in space or maybe somewhere else on Earth

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Whilst I think a lot of what Mosca says is speculative interpretation which doesn't necessarily match the anthropological record, there is certainly a kernel of truth in what he say (or, at least, there could well be
) - as there is evidence for contact between the Polynesians and South America. Thor Heyadahl's Kon Tiki book is an excellent starting point for this theory

Totally speculative, but maybe Easter Island was at one time a trading post between the Polynesians and one of the Peruvian civilisations? The Peruvians being the 'long ears'?

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
thor heyerdahl: "kon-tiki"
"art of easter island"
"american indians in the pacific"

is a good place to start. He uses most of his books to validate his own mormon beleifs. I however try to find the middle path to basically validate the Hopi beliefs. He does have a lot of credible (arheologic based) information that is very interesting. art of easter island has a lot of old journal drawings, all four of the different epochs of moais carvings some of which have tatoos and rainbow belts (courtesy of Peru), different pieces of pottery from Peru. My avatar is a peice of pottery from Moche. Not the beard, ear plugs, and war paint.... David Hatcher Childress "lost cities of the pacific" has some interesting chapters on Rapa Nui as well. Some of his stuff is way out there but the footnotes are what are interesting, including a late 1500's sighting of a 500 mile long island at the precise coordinates where Easter Island is that was filled with "men so white" that was named "Davis Land" and is what they were looking for in 1722 when they only found Easter Island. Part of the theory that Easter Island was part of a much larger land tract. Some tribal history validates that but we would really need pure long ear history to know for sure. Its hard enough to try to fiqure out where Polynesians originally came from not to mention where the long ears came from.

Captian cook himself was stoned to death by the Hawiians becuz he was mistaken for an earlier caucasian visitor, as he arrived on the celebration of this mans much earlier arrival, landed in the same bay, and was on a ship! He played along but when it was discovered, they punished him to death!

The Peruvian long ears "orojones" were quipu keepers. When the Spanish got there many still were taller, had beards and red hair! I firmly beleive Peru was connected to Polynesia via Rapa Nui becuz of the double bladded paddles shown in the early journal drawings in "art of Easter Island" are just like those in the Nasca and Paracas desert mummies graves. However the Peruvian oral history indicates many of the long ears or (Virachochas) left off the west coast by sea via reed boats after a war between them and the Peruvians never to be seen again. But there appears to be a lot of indications of a long established trading network over the Pacific.

[edit on 12-4-2006 by mosca]

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by mosca
thor heyerdahl: "kon-tiki"
"art of easter island"
"american indians in the pacific"

is a good place to start. He uses most of his books to validate his own mormon beleifs.

Eh?

Where'd you get the idea Heyerdahl was a Mormon?

You haven't just misread this
Amazon review
have you? The reference to a Mormon has nothing to do with Heyerdahl

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join