It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Connection hic-ups?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea on what the heck is going on with my connection. I received an email from my ISP (cableOne) and it said that in the early hours they were going to be doing some maintenance... the next day, I find I can't go to any web pages (in either firefox or IE) but Utorrent is still going no problem. (just a "host Not found" error) I restarted my PC and Zone Alarm informed me that I had a new network... so my IP changed. I could surf pages again but after a few hours it happened again. My browsers couldn't connect but Utorrent was just fine, but had the whole host not found thing. I restarted and it was back to normal.. but slower. Randomly, it won't be able to connect to a site but when I click reload, it works. I was looking around and I found out that my IP was registered to Boise, ID but before, it was always registed to Nampa, Idaho. (An IP locator) Any ideas on what the hell they're doing? Could there nampa location be offline and just send all the connections to Boise? Having so many more connections that usual would certainly explain the IP changes. Thanks for any help.

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 01:59 AM
link   
The best place to ask your questions in this case, is with your internet servie provider.
You stated that you had not had this problem before their 'maintenance'.

Just a guess on my part. I've never run into this kind of problem.

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
This may help while they are doing maintenance.

Select Start >>
Select Run >>
Type: ipconfig /flushdns
Select OK

and

Open Internet explorer
Select Tools >>
Select Internet Options >>

Select the Connections tab >>
Select LAN Settings >>
Select Automatically Detect Settings >>
Select OK

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 12:45 AM
link   
K, I'll give that a shot. It's just annoying as hell half the time when I go to a site, I have to load to 4 times. Thanks for the advice.

Edit: Dang, there's definately a big improvement. Thanks. It's still a bit buggy but I don't have to reload constantly to get it to load the whole page.

[edit on 3-4-2006 by DemonicAngelZero]

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 05:57 AM
link   
You could also try using a different Domain Name Server (DNS) address.

Click 'Start' >>>
Select 'Control Panel' >>>
Choose 'Network Connection' >>>
Double-click on 'Local Area Connection' (or whatever it is your connection is called >>>
Select 'Properties' >>>

Double-click on 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) (or select it and press 'Properties') >>>

Select 'Use the following DNS server addresses:' and enter the following numbers:

Primary DNS: 219.127.89.34
Secondary DNS: 202.188.0.133

and press 'Ok '

If there are already some numbers there, take note of it on a piece of paper in case you need to revert back to the original DNS address.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   
My ISP says it's supposed to "obtain DNS server address automatically". If I change it... to anything... It refuses to load anything. Their "early Morning Maintenance" has lasted 4 or so days so far and I guess I'll have to call them... unfortunatley they always act like they don't know what the hell I'm talking about, or don't care enough to put some effort into even listening to what I'm saying. (but it's either them or dial up)

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Yeah, I gave in and called CableOne and they said to power cycle the modem and it should fix everything... it didn't. Their maintenance was really an upgrade and SO many people have had this problem, they created a special recording in the beginning of the call. So they're f*cked.... I'll call them again later and b*tch at them.

[edit on 4-4-2006 by DemonicAngelZero]

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Did you at least try entering in a new DNS address? My ISP says the same thing too, that if I changed the setting there the pages wouldn't load. I ignored them and added those DNS addresses and I've never had a problem regarding DNS.

Sometimes they say those things because they either don't know what they are talking about or they just want to scare you into not changing it yourself. You could always set it back to autodetect if it doesn't work.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I tried changing the DNS servers and nothing. They wanted me to power cycle over and over again and then restore the modem to it's manufacturers default and still no better. I'll just have to wait patiently and hope they don't start playing the anal probe game and accidentally unplug something important... that would be another week to fly in an expert from another country to plug it back in. Thanks for the advice, Much appreciated.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
It sounds like your ISP is having DNS issues, if they put in a new router or switch and it was not configured properly you will have these types of symptoms. This normally has to do with static routes put into the router, they may be incorrect, or there may be an issue with the route they put in. It definetly doesnt sound like the issue is on your end ie pc or modem, especially if you can connect with your torrent. That alone proves that you CAN connect to the net, so, the issue is a DNS issue and more than likely is a misconfigured router on their end.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Edit: Ok, first guy blamed me and said I did something. Second guy said to reset my browser to default (IE) Changed all the settings he said (Firefox).... and still no change lol I really might just end up reinstalling my OS just to end the headache (and then get an email saying how there genius found a problem with there DNS settings. yeah right.)

[edit on 7-4-2006 by DemonicAngelZero]

top topics

join