It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this grounds for a hardship discharge?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
LINK

White said she wanted a discharge because after her son, Caden, was born Dec. 10, she grew concerned that she may be called to leave him for 18 months if her unit deployed to Iraq.
"It's not that I have a problem with the military," she said. "If it was me alone, I'd buck up and say this is something I have to do. But he (Caden) changes everything."
The Army also never explained the denial, said White, who works part time as a waitress at Chili's Bar and Grill in Evansville.
Capt. Annmarie Daneker, the readiness command spokeswoman, said the military does not acknowledge pregnancy as a hardship or cause, in itself, for discharge.
Hardship discharges are based on "nontemporary situations," she said.

The story makes it sound as if she is a single mother, but I don't think this is grounds for a hardship discharge. I understand her not wanting to leave a young child, but others in the military are doing it every day.

Opinions?

JDub

GSA

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
If she has a husband / boy friend / family she should put up and shut up and do her contracted duty. having a child makes no difference to any thing - there are thousands of mothers serving world wide who miss their kids -this is no reason to leave the military, shes just dodging her duty. Shame on her! Now, just what are the men going to think about serving women? are they going to use this in their hundreds to get out of military action??

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I never saw an update to this story so I am not sure what ever happened to her case.

Females were being integrated on ships with males when I was serving, and I know there was a high pregnancy rate at the time. I do not remember any of them asking to leave the military over it, but I know that at that time the Navy transferred them to a shore duty as soon as they found out about the pregnancy.

I am positively not saying that that was the reason for the pregnancy, just that that was the Navy policy at the time.

JDub

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Agreed.

if she has a boyfriend/husband/significant other, then she should suck it up. However, if she is a single mum and there are no significant other then perhaps the military should consider this and the fact that there would be no one to care for her child while she was on deployment.

I think if the case is the latter, then the military are being unfairly hard, whereas if it more in line witht he first reason then she should put up, shut-up, and do her duty as many mother/fathes/boyfriends/girlfriends are currently serving overseas. Including my two brothers.

new topics

top topics

join