Anti-Missile Laser Weapon Video

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Has anyone else seen this weapon before in the following link?

www.metacafe.com...

The US army is shown using it to destory 2 missile at the same time, one after the other at different directions. Is this what the basis of the missile defence shield was on? And if this is released now, imagine what they currently have that is still top-secret.

And what of the possibility of satellite having these weapons? You could get a bunch of these weapons to lock-on to various targets and destroy them in one large display of laser fire-power. It would put the "shock and awe" campaign of Iraq to shame and you'd probably have to call it "What the F@#K" campaign.

Your thoughts and info on laser weapons please.

Melbourne_Militia

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Lmao...
I love the WTF campaign... I laughed when I read that...

I watched a video on that system years ago when It was released to public... Pretty cool... But when It was tracking those 2 objects, it looked like it moved kinda slow... Maybe it was just me tho...
Also, they did it one after the other... What about both at the same time, in different directions?
And how far does it go?
If a huge missile makes it over US soil, can it shoot it down when its up high? Or only when it gets near ground...

If you wrap the missile in a mirror glass finish, will the laser just destroy itself??
lol

Its a nifty idea though...

What about the Metal Storm... Heard of that?
I havent heard news on that in years, I wonder whats going on with it...

www.metalstorm.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Nice video, and i just love the fact that Israel was slotted into the bit about advanced war fighters... Oh and yes i agree that if and when its ready its going to a be a great asset to all arms of the forces.

Metal storm...oh the million rounds a minute electronic guns...they slipped off the white radar a while back...ill have a look see...

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   
MTHEL is also being developed by Israel in a joint development deal, so it's quite capable. They've tested it in many different situations, successfully.

Since the year 2000, THEL intercepted five artillery projectiles and 28 rocket targets, including the short range 122mm Katyusha type rockets fired singly and in salvos and larger, long range 160mm rockets which has twice the range of the standard katyusha. Most recently, on August 24, 2004 the system intercepted and destroyed mortar bombs, fired both single and in salvos. During the most recent test conducted on May 2004, THEL destroyed a large caliber rocket target, containing a live warhead, which was intercepted by the laser weapon. However, in late 2004 funding for the program was stopped claiming it was too bulky for army deployments. Northrop Grumman continued with development of a "relocateable" version of THEL to provide some defensive capability as part of Rocket, Artillery and Mortar Defense (RAM-D). The system's radar is already operational in Israel, providing early warning from Palestinian attacks on the the city of Shderot.

www.defense-update.com...

[edit on 4/1/2006 by Zaphod58]

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Jee goodness me is there nothing that the war in Iraq is leaving in one piece? just how many programs are going to get nailed bcasue of that damned war no one wants??? A Laser shield? a hundred of these along a coast line makes for a very very safe country... and size them UP makes for a very very safe airspace indeed.

Sad to see such a cool defensive weapon get canned. Bet Israels spitting mad about that one.

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
The big problem with MTHEL is that it's supposed to be MOBILE, and it's not very. The laser itself requires a semi trailer, and several other support vehicles.

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Well Zap the big problem is making a power plant compact enough to be very mobile while also being powerful enough to power the laser. Also, a mirror, or some type of reflective coating will not stop a solid state laser, it will simply burn right through it. One more thing, why is this a join venture with Israel? One would think that after several US technology transfer violations they would be cut off from sensitive projects.

new topics
top topics

join