It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how to practice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I am happy with my life, but I am looking to learn how to practice magic to help two areas with my life. Can anyone help me? Possibly suggest some reading or websites to check out? I am looking to self educate myself.

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 11:32 PM
link   
What are you tring to do and why?

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by nsawantsmedead
What are you tring to do and why?

first off, i am genuinely interested in learning it.

i want to use it to help me in everyday life. is there anywhere i should go online?

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 04:05 AM
link   
What do you want to learn plyfreak?

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Dont know much about learning but David Blane is a wicked artist. He makes hime self levitate, throws cards through solid glass and other amazing optical illusions. Speaking about magic, how in the hell did that guy make the statue of liberty disappear ?

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Heh, I believe he's talking about magick, not stage magic.

I highly recommend not getting involved with it. Especially when you have no real point or purpose, and you're just dabbling around in it. That can be pretty dangerous. There are a lot of other ways to do things besides resorting to magic. Go read up on some of the horror stories in this forum and the net, and if you are still interested I suggest probably this site . Just be sure to heed the warnings, they aren't a joke

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Actually I have looked for the down sides of magic, and have found little. Do you think you could point me in the right direction? Because I do believe that getting into something that is potentially dangerous isn't the best idea. I want to be informed.

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
You might want to check out Austin Osman Spare's work (which is available online, for the most part, if you look in the right places) as concerns Chaos magick; Spare and his contemporaries have constructed an effective system of postmodern occultism that many overlook for no very good reason at all.

If you are more interested in traditional ceremonial magick, try to find copies of Israel Regardie's "The Middle Pillar" and "The Tree of Life". These two books comprise an excellent introduction to the study study, and you should be able to find them online or at a major commercial bookstore.

Either way, if you have any questions, or more specific requests, feel free to U2U me.

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Plyfreak, there's so much information available that I'm not sure where to begin. I'm guessing that's your problem too

On most websites you'll find a long list of things you shouldn't ever do, things you're not ready for, and things you should be afraid of. Take them all with a grain of salt.

Having said that, here's my personal list of things to be aware of. Take them with a grain of salt!
1. Practicing magic can change how you see the world.
2. Practicing magic can change how you see religion. You might find that your current religion (if you have one) doesn't seem to fit you anymore. Before you walk away from it, look deeper. Institutionalized religions are very deep.
3. Practicing magic results in you taking responsibility for your life. Not everyone wants that.

Ok, then. What to look for?
Start with "defensive magic". Practice grounding and centering. Here's a nice link. Centering yourself is the first step to any meditation. Grounding gets rid of any excess energy you have, and creates flow. Think of it like electricity; you need to make a circuit before current can flow. Grounding is making a circuit.

Once you've got the grounding and centering bit, try out some sheilding spells. The first one I learned involved lighting a candle and drawing energy off the candle flame to build a bonfire in your mind. Then you take the bonfire and convert it into a massive ball of white, glowing energy. You have the energy ball grow until it surrounds you, like a supernatural snowball or something. It took me 20 minutes and I drew a lot of attention afterward. I thought the energy itself would protect me. I didn't know to give that energy direction and purpose. Giving purpose to energy is magic.

Nowadays, I just think "sheilds up!" Like in those old Star Trek episodes, and bam, I have an extra layer of protection for thing like grocery shopping. For some reason, shoppers dump all their petty garbage in a grocery store. (sigh) It gives me a headache.

So. Once you've gotten the hang of centering, grounding, and sheilding; you can venture into those two areas of your life that you wanted to practice magic in. But seriously, learn these things first. They're not baby steps... they're crucial steps.

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
try not to waste your time, unless you feel like it.

There is no such thing as magic...magic is only technology which has yet to become common knowledge to the masses.

There may be levitaion, etc but it is all technology...therefore the common person will probably not do it unless someone shows them how. Seriously, its time to look at how many people you personally know that does magic. 99% of us never saw anyone...everyone just chats or makes nice movies with Merlin.

Hey I would love to learn magic (technology) myself...

Who knows, maybe we will all wake up and realize this is a matrix and you can change your reality at random. (that would be technology, not magic.) Though it seems one in the same, one keeps the person seeking for something that they cant obtain, the other lets them realize that unless they study the sciences or "God" throws them a book with the answers, they aint going to levitate, etc.

thats all

Kind Regards

dalen

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I'm interesting in learning some of it nonetheless. Magic has been around forever, I don't think it's couth to just shrug it off.

mod edit: removed quote of previous post

[edit on 3-4-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Chaos magic is just that. If you get to the point of finding out how to do magic you also see that everything is possible including one thought of death and your dead. So no offense but to be able to do magic you would have to be dumb to the thought and have faith in your own or other ritual.

Mind you if you are religous in any manner it is a sin.

The safest per person is ritual magic depending on more than a few people as I would assume one persons energy doesn't have to be as high to do something as if you were all alone. However why would anyone want to mess with such a thing? Its so dangerous to self and others cause in theory if you opened such a box what if you didn't die and couldn't turn it off? Someone else would have to eliminate you and fast. For the few that know magic as truth I am sure are aware counter measures out there do indeed exsist. Some people have studied this as their life's work for protection of the world so keep that in mind.

Simple study and meditation can give you great results in life without the need to leviate chairs for parlor tricks.

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I'm not trying to do parlor tricks, but you make great points. Can people use magic to do such things (you call them parlor tricks)?

What is a safe form of magic to study?

mod edit: removed quote of previous post

[edit on 3-4-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 12:22 AM
link   
There is no dangerous form of magick, anyone saying otherwise is full of guano.
Ok..wait, if you are mentally unstable, untreated manic-depressive for instance, well then just about
anything you take to can become dangerous, even reading Catcher in the Rye for instance.

If youre emotions and mind are fairly solid then there is nothing to harm you at all...
yes you can conjure all the demons from all 666 levels of the abyss and they will do only
what you believe they will do, ie, its all in your own head and up to your own will.

Ok now that I've said that, there is a great set of links over at this thread on 'real' magic, look for Enyalius post full of links

ok i'll just copy and paste them for you, but Enyalius gets the credit
Discussion Boards
Occultforums.com
Sacred Magick
Magic Catastrophe

Online Libraries
Hermetics.org
Kheper.net
Occultpedia
Sacred Magick
Hermetic.com
FraterMD
Sacred Texts
OccultForums Library
Occult Forums essays, articles, books concerning witches and wiccans

Now to practice magick all you have to do is have a goal, meditate on the goal, focus on the goal in your daily activities, any activity will do, and believe that you will attain that goal. When you can remember to, imagine that you are sending out energy like a sonar blip, and that the energy is returned to you just like sonar returns a single to the source, imagine that the goal is getting closer. The more willfully you imagine this, and the more you take the necessary mundane steps to achieve your goals, then the more likely you will succeed.

There is 1,001 varieties of doing this: candles, talismans, charms, spells, chanting, ceremonies etc.

The above is the basic materialisitc goal hunting magic, if you want to do soul seeking and development then pick any olde tyme religion/mythology and study it, try to understand that all the old gods are only archtypes of your own psyche, then "contact" that part of yourself, its built in to your very genes, don't feel embarassed to talk to yourself, you are your own god/best friend/enemy/whatever.

Just remember one important rule, whatever work you do, comes back to you, like throwing a rock into the water..the splash might hit you in the face, so unless you want a rotten life, don't go around being selfish and cruel to others with your personal energy. Ok?

Hope that helped.

[edit on 3-4-2006 by Legalizer]

new topics

top topics

join