Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Greenpeace could face Federal charges

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 12 2003 @ 07:27 AM
link   
"Three miles off the Florida coast in April 2002, two Greenpeace activists clambered from an inflatable rubber speedboat onto a cargo ship. They were detained before they could unfurl a banner, spent the weekend in custody and two months later were sentenced to time served for boarding the ship without permission.

It was a routine act of civil disobedience until, 15 months after the incident, federal prosecutors in Miami indicted Greenpeace itself for authorizing the boarding. The group says the indictment represents a turning point in the history of American dissent. "
www.refuseandresist.org...

Is this really going to cause other tax-exempt, non-profit, activist groups to mind their p's and q's, so that they can't spy on or indict the entire organization? I seriously doubt it! The Attorney General and his henchmen are really honing the skill of bullying into a fine art, though.

posted on Oct, 12 2003 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Hmm. This is pretty bad. I simply don't see how Greenpeace was said to "lure the ship crew to shore." There is a linkage of intent from Greenpeace to the action, but the purpose of action what's important.

You can tell its a farce because otherwise the lawyer would focus on what they did to violate the law (i.e., my client, Kobe Bryant, is charged with sexual miscondcut) But instead he says "The heart of Greenpeace's mission," they wrote, "is the violation of the law." And declines to comment on "whether the prosecution was unusual or politically motivated." Never mentions what Greenpeace did wrong. It would interesting to see if this gets thrown out of court.

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Reguardless or our liberties involving free speech, we must recognize that when those freedoms inpose upon other's rights, it constitutes an abuse. I can't break and enter my neighbor's home under the guise of free speech because I want to tell them something they don't want to hear. If they had proof or suspicion of mohogany smuggling they should notify proper authorities. You don't board a ship illegally..especially since the bombing of the USS Cole

You people seem to think think that having a certain political leaning should authorize any behavior and that the law becomes just something else to circumvent. I appreciate the efforts of Greenpeace..or at least I did in the beginning before they're politics became predominant over their factual information but I see this as just another example of how these groups grow to have or think they have the power to overule common law in the name of their self-righteous agendas.

I'd like to leave you with a quote from it's founder concerning modern protocols and practices.

"They are mainly political activists with not very much actual science background who are using the rhetoric of environmentalism to push agendas that are more political than they are ecological.”

-Patrick Moore, head of the environmental advocacy group Greenspirit, and a former founding member of Greenpeace. Moore left Greenpeace in the 1980s after becoming disillusioned with what he considered the group's radical approach to environmental concerns.

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 10:02 AM
link   
astrocreep- you have a good point. It is telling, though, that their activists are routinely arressted and detained. So they regularly "impose" their views. But passion and the state of the environment has to be weighed in. I've noticed a lot more allegry ads in the last couple years, which is indictive of our screwed up environment and how it is affecting people. It's all a matter of perspective.

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 10:56 AM
link   

astrocreep- you have a good point. It is telling, though, that their activists are routinely arressted and detained.

This happens if you publicly routinly break the law. Cause and effect.

But passion and the state of the environment has to be weighed in.

The passion is political, the environmental issues are scientific. The passion should be based on actual science and not political agendas. Its true weight is unable to be measured because both sides politically "muddy the waters".. sorry for the pun. Could not resist.

I've noticed a lot more allegry ads in the last couple years, which is indictive of our screwed up environment and how it is affecting people. It's all a matter of perspective.

This could also be indicative of modern medical research and breakthroughs. As an asthma/allergy sufferer in my youth and now a parent of a child who is stricken with the same fate, I can tell ya that my knowledge in this area is quite extensive. These new medications that weren't availible when I was a child like albuterol and other bronchial dialators have made my son's life much easier and allowed him recover to a fully active (overactive) life. I don't think the instances of the desease has grown as much as the ability to correctly diagnose and treat it. So you see my perspective is firsthand when it comes to this. Yes, I want cleaner air and water but no, I don't think retarding progress is the way to most effectively have this.

Yet another quote from Patrick Moore.

"Poverty, not wealth, is one of the biggest threats to the Earth's ecological health. Look at the environmental destruction caused by poverty. They have no money left to reforest, they have no money left to prevent soil erosion, and there is no money to clean their water after they make it dirty. It's that kind of arrogance that is coming from a movement that is basically white upper-middle class and is saying that it's neat to have Africans with no electricity."

new topics

top topics

join