It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

super genius potential of sociopathy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I don't profess to own myself any phd's or doctorates or any degree whatsoever. However I will try to explain this brainstorm I had recently.

A little food for thought on the brainstorm!

Firstly, Sociopathy is simply ignorance of conciense incarnate when one is a full sociopath. Such people rarely avoid murder. However I believe that people make themselves sociopathic by being desensetized by everything around them.
Basically childhood trauma type shutting down of emotions and a reclusion from reality. But if a person can warp themselves into a state like that where there brain is not wasting time on emotions when thinking everything else is hightened.

It's Even more interesting when they warp themselves out of that mentality and re-experiance the world around them. This would be the pivotal point where they experiance that the human mind is capable of learning and much more. It is basically that reality is what you make it.
I think one positive example of a chanelled sociopathic individual though is yngwie malmsteen. One of the best guitarists if not the best. And he pretty much fits the bill of a sociopathlol .

Anyway if there's a section somewhere on psychology i think that's where this should be, Lol

[edit on 1-4-2006 by Magickesists]
I didn't write the big long theory in the link either ._edited

[edit on 1-4-2006 by Magickesists]

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
First off you of

1. Sociopathic

2. Psychopath

These are two disinct areas of psychology.

You were speaking about a sociopath. A sociopath literally has no concience. It becomes a matter of whats right feels good wats wrong feels bad. The law is irrelevant. This is not a learned behavior. One is born a sociopath...one doesnt become one. ANd simply because someone is a sociopath does not mean that they will neccesarily commit murder....rather....if they ever did to them they wouldnt have done anything wrong.

What you are thinking of is a psychopath. Which can be learned. A psychopath knows the difference between right and wrong....and simply chooses to ignore them or believes that the rules dont apply to them

Once again Sociopathics make up thier own ethical moral laws and cant be learned wereas as a psychopathology can be learned.

I am a Senior in the Field of Psychology and my roomate/mentor is currently working on her masters in Community Counseling. SO while i would defintaly hesitate to call my self any sort of expert i do have a lil experience in the field and am not pulling things out of my ass simply to disagree.(not to say that you are....i was just ensuring that this wasnt taken as a personal attack)

El senor pom pom rides again

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I agree with u SenorPomPom

As to the first post, the link you provided was very strange and mostly wrong. It sounds like it was typed by someone who was learning psychology for the first time. The guy who wrote that accused Bob Dole and Bill Clinton of being classic sociopaths

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I am sorry if i didn't properly express my idea here.
I'm quite well versed on sociopathy though. I was diagnosed with minor sociopathy at twelve.

I understand what your saying and it's interesting to note you never even touched the subject of the intellectual capacity of sociopathic individuals.

I am wondering however, is there a significant number of the sociopathic population that are also super intelligent or above average. How much more intellegent are these individuals. Why are sociopaths occasionally so smart?

My main point of interest was not the syndrome or disorder, but the by product or accompanying symptom of the high intelligence.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Sociopathology cannot ACCURATLEY be diagnosed in children under the age of 12. And most HARD SCIENCE Pschologists know this. So whomever diagnosed you did so unethically and without the support of mainstream psychology. That being said....while thier is a correlation between Sociopathology and high intellegence...the reverse is not true. You dont GENERALLY see Mentally Retarded Sociopaths because they cannot make the neccessary thought models. Sociopaths do tend to be intellegent and that intellegence is what feeds thier nerousis. Im smarter Im better yada yada yada.

Sociopathology is a HUGE field with varying opinions. But there are no real Psychologists who ascribe to the idea that Genius Intellegence has any comorbidity with Sociopathology. Sorry to burst your bubble.

But interesting none the less I came hopeing that some new research had come out showing that thier was a link...alas not.

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
In my honest opinion though i'd have to say that the shrink who did evaluate me did do a good job.

the first test was general overview and was intended to be used on younger indivduals. the second was a regular adult test.

After doing both tests the pschologist didn't get back to me and my dad for three months. He said the papers and results needed to be reviewed.

I think there is a possibility in my case that the evaluation was more accurate than usual.

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Well....that may be possible....When it comes to early adolescent diagnosis of Adult Disorders...I tend to be a lil wary....Thank you for starting tthis thread though gave me a chance to atleast talk about something that I have some literal eductation in.

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Okay then answer me this!

Is society in itself in northern america exhibiting sociopathic tendencies more and more nowadays? I ask because we can all go to the mall or try on a nice suite, yet in so many places people are starving, dying, getting blown up and yet we feel secure here and happy. Or is that Apathy?

Also, most ceos and high government officials do actually show sociopathic traits. However those disorders can most likely be channeled due to the fact human mentality is usually capable of evolving.

Thus I Probably agree with you on this point that Psychology is inept at truly evaluating a mind. People can change.

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
okay Im going to clue you in on something that most psychologists dont want Laymen to know. EVERYONE and EVERYTHING at one point in time or another exhibits charateristics or traits that are indicative of some form of Mental or Personality Disorder. Sociopathology is a Personality Disorder. Meaning it affects the personality but not always the mind.

What the United States as a single entity is exhibiting is Apathy. If we were sociopathic we would be taking whatever we wanted from whomever we wanted. Now I know taht does happen but that can generally be attributed to a single man or a small group.

Yes Corporate CEOS and Buisness Execs do show some signs of sociopathology...but once again not enough to be clinically diagnosed.. This is the other important lil factoid there is CLINICAL and SUBCLINICAL. Everyone and everything at one point in time or another has some SUBCLINICAL disorder. The difference between Clinical and Subclinical can be summed up with Duration and ability to continue functioning in "your" normal reality.

I hope this answers your question.

Yes the United States and Some Corporate CEO's, Id even go so far as to say there are some sociopathic CEOS, do exhibit behaviors that could be construed as sociopathic but are they actually sociopathic...no.

Once again Sociopaths Dont care what the rules are...What "feels" good is right what "feels" bad is wrong. its literally that simple with them.

Ego also plays a significant role in sociopathic behavior. Rarely do you have a diminuitive sociopath.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Yeah basically along the same lines i was thinking but better said.

i also had a thought. I was living on the streets for a year and only as of november did i decide to get a life again. Anyway, As a side not i belive if you talk to the people on the streets you see what true sociopathy is in some of them. The only problem is some sociopaths don't think ahead and end up going insane.

The really smart ones are the ones you'll never suspect because the facade is perfect!

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I'll just have to throw in a qoute I read somewhere which hits the nail on the head in this matter, to my opinion.. A succesfull sociopath becomes famous and lives a happy life, becoming an extravagant acceptability, an unsuccesfull one ends up in the nut house.

Further, I think a sociopath can be learned to feel compassion, but only by someone who is capable to enter the sociopaths mindset and explain things on his level of thinking. Not many people are capable of this.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Phiniks, Would you perchance be referring to me lol.

That's a bloody marvelous line of thought if I ever heard one,

I had another thought about this before i read any of the stuff recently and based on other books. I can't remember the names but the basis of my connection is between martial arts discipline and sociopathy resembling each other, and that no doubt some individuals who had become champion fighters were sociopathic!

top topics

join