It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Real History & Motives of Freemasonry

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light
OK, I think I know the symbolism:

In the Second Degree, the symbolic characteristics of the two pillars that stood at the porch of the Temple are explained. Both columns were surmounted by globes, one depicting the celestial, and the other the terrestrial.

The globes sat on chapiters, each five cubits high, which were decorated with lilies, network, and pomegranates.

The symbol you show probably alludes to the network decoration of the chapiter of the pillar Boaz (see I Kings 7:16-22).

What stumped me was that I've never seen the network actually laid on the globe before: for the symbol to be correct, the net should be intermingled with lilies and pomegranates beneath the globe on the chapiter.

To answer your original question, the network is emblematic of unity, while the pomegranates represent plenty, and the lilies symbolize peace.

I have nothing wrong with the symbol of a globe on a pillar, but what I find strange is to find an actual net covering the globe as if its some sort of trap. Or a symbol of power over everything on this planet. That's how I see it, quite frankly.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Well, obviously since there's grids on the picture of the Earth...it's not representative of grids...the net around the World would be what I am referring to.

I would think...from a personal belief of My own...that the net would represent them snaring the World and controlling it. Everything...in a sense is a control mechanism.

The Bible is a control mechanism of a sort...the Government is...the IRS and their scare tactics of "We're gonna get you if you lie" is a form of control mechanism. The IRS alone...terrorizes a few examples, to show the people how nasty they can be, so people will go crying to their neighbors about them. Word of mouth travels faster than any and all forms of advertising.

Yes...the Freemasons were originally created in England...a long time ago.

Just another form of control...in a World where they want to control everything. I am not saying there should be Chaos and Anarchy...a form of order and control should be in place...but not the Freemasons...nor the New World Order...nor the Masons...nor the Illuminati...nor the Priory of Scion...nor the Bilderbergers...nor the 4th Reich ~coughs~ Bush and friends ~coughs~ or any other evil organization.

[edit on 3-4-2006 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   

the network is emblematic of unity, while the pomegranates represent plenty, and the lilies symbolize peace.

or

Originally posted by eudaimonia
an actual net covering the globe as if its some sort of trap. Or a symbol of power over everything on this planet.

In your opinion which ones seem more in line with the teaching of freemasonry?

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cug
Hear, See, Be Silent

As to the Latin quote...Hear, See, Be Silent would mean to Me...Listen, Watch...and Don't Tell.

Tell Me...does this sound even remotely like something that would ever be a good thing for an organization that's "a good organization"?

I think not. Their even telling you how they are...hiding it in Lation... but flat out telling you.

[edit on 3-4-2006 by SpartanKingLeonidas]
[edit to correct quotes -nygdan]

[edit on 3-4-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Just for note, its not my speculation, for all I know the yehudi thing means 'pork pot pies are mmm mmm good'. But its supposed to be the letter 'yod' which is taken as a symbol for god in some arcana.

So what is a hebrew god symbol doing being displayed in a freemasonic lodge?

Because freemasonry takes up the mantle of kaballa and jewish religion.

Which God does that represent?

GAOTU, no?

But Solomon's Temple? Wasn't that a myth? I don't think that ever existed.

Keep in mind that the people that invented freemasonry were backwards day-labourer christians living in the dark ages. The bible was the only 'historical' document that they had.

And isn't Jehovah linked with Jesus Christ?

Not in the old testament. Jesus is a later addition. But, yes, freemasonry was, in its operative form, a bunch of christers who thought that the world had been flooded, that jehovah made men from dust, that solomon's temple was real (it might very well have been anyway)

I don't exactly get a good vibe with that kind of symbol.

Thats probably because we are ignorant of the meaning. I don't get a good 'vibe' out of foreign looking squibbles in triangles neither, but since we don't know what they are supposed to mean, and in a sense can't 'trust' anyone as to what they mean, what does it matter if we get a bad 'vibe' from them? How accurate and reliable is a 'vibe'? And a 'vibe' is really just based on our own conditioning from society at large no? So why should we think masonry is sinister, just because its different???

Why must humans live by the words of mythical characters?

It appears that man's brain is formed in such a way that it is strongly influenced and passionately moved by symbols, both literal symbols and metaphorical ones. Why does, for example, poetry exist, when prose takes care of communicating ideas well enough? Because poems are profoundly moving and people attach great meaning to them.

not because of external traditions passed on through history..such as myths and rituals

Ah but here is a very good point. What does it matter if the christian is 'good', he is only good because he fears punishment or wants favour from jesus. But the freemason, they don't actually beleive that Hiram Abif is going to ressurect them, these legends and myths are recognized as symbols. Jesus isn't a symbol, for christers, he's an actual god that operates in the world. Hiram Abif is a symbol, the pillars of the temple are symbols, the square and compass is a symbol, they are things that represent something else, and that representation has to be learned (further demonstration that they are not actual things). So the system of legends and myths is a way to teach these things and get people to think about them, its 'poetic pedagogy' you might say.
I mean think about it, what's easier to learn, basic geometry as a table of values, or a story about Peter Gowas and his magical triangle and string??

ml
It's the primary symbol of the 14° of the Scottish Rite, and is also found in the Royal Arch degree of the York Rite. It is the Hebrew Letter Yod surrounded by the Greek letter Delta, and is representative of the Deity. In Hebrew, Yod is the first letter of the Tetragrammaton, or Four Lettered Name, which has been translated into English as both "Jehovah" and "Yahweh".

See, look at that. Comparative linguistics, history, religion, and theory,all taugh with a simple symbol. Especially in the past, masonry would've been a good way to take up educational needs beyond the most basic. And it would operate like it does above, all that information, and more, is, for the initiate, stated in a symbol.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyNut23

the network is emblematic of unity, while the pomegranates represent plenty, and the lilies symbolize peace.

or

an actual net covering the globe as if its some sort of trap. Or a symbol of power over everything on this planet.

Well, all I can say is, a net is a net. And a net has only one purpose. To trap its enemy.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidasAs to the Latin quote...Hear, See, Be Silent would mean to Me...Listen, Watch...and Don't Tell

"Don't tell" or "be silent and still and learn"? You can't learn anything if you are a roil of thoughts or talking out loud.

But 'don't tell' or 'keep the secret' could be just as reasonable.
As far as it being evil, today, yeah, i can see that, but keep in mind that masonry dates from a time when peopel were killed for their religion or for opposition to the churches.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   

not sure about the net... We might have to wait for London to wake up for that answer.

Yawn. Morning.

Oh wait. It's afternoon already. I'm slacking...

Some things that I thought was interesting in the video:

The Masonic Motto: Audi Vide Tace

Depiction of Angels with goats feet

Well I'm too late - accurate answers have already been given. However a more indepth read can be found on UGLE's own website

Sculptures of Globes wrapped in a net

Yet again ML has come up trumps.

The Bible (NAS) - 1 Kings 7:13-20

Now King Solomon sent and brought Hiram from Tyre.

He was a widow's son from the tribe of Naphtali, and his father was a man of Tyre, a worker in bronze; and he was filled with wisdom and understanding and skill for doing any work in bronze So he came to King Solomon and performed all his work.

He fashioned the two pillars of bronze; eighteen cubits was the height of one pillar, and a line of twelve cubits measured the circumference of both.

He also made two capitals of molten bronze to set on the tops of the pillars; the height of the one capital was five cubits and the height of the other capital was five cubits.

There were nets of network and twisted threads of chainwork for the capitals which were on the top of the pillars; seven for the one capital and seven for the other capital.

So he made the pillars, and two rows around on the one network to cover the capitals which were on the top of the pomegranates; and so he did for the other capital.

The capitals which were on the top of the pillars in the porch were of lily design, four cubits.

There were capitals on the two pillars, even above and close to the rounded projection which was beside the network; and the pomegranates numbered two hundred in rows around both capitals.

(my bold)

The symbol is on The Freemasonic Hall in London located on Great Queen Street. Says it's the central meeting place for 8,000 masonic lodges in great britain.

Fewer than 700 lodges meet at Freemasons Hall in London, which is the HQ for freemasonry in England and Wales, not Great Britain.

Don't think much to your source

[edit on 3-4-2006 by Trinityman]

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   

In the ceremony of the Second Degree, the network on the pillar is given about 5 seconds of time. As I posted earlier, the net symbol on the pillars is biblical in origin, and was borrowed by Masonry much later in its lecture on the temple's architectural design.

If the symbol is used in some other way in England, maybe one of our British brothers could comment. In the American Masonry it represents unity, as it assumedly did at the original Temple.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
It appears that man's brain is formed in such a way that it is strongly influenced and passionately moved by symbols, both literal symbols and metaphorical ones. Why does, for example, poetry exist, when prose takes care of communicating ideas well enough? Because poems are profoundly moving and people attach great meaning to them.

Symbols are important, poems are important, anything that can uplift the spirt and give meaning to life is all good to me. But when you start to attach religious connoations to it all, that's where I have a problem.

It is the greatest creation of division that pulls nature and man further and further away from each other.

If we all believed in only poetry, paintings and film to communicate profound truths to one another, I'd be very happy with that. But I believe there's other ways too, I just don't think we should be looking at texts thousands of years old to look for them, when all the answers can be found by simply communicating.

We should not be slaving ourselves digging what is the universal truth and which god is the right god. Just look inside one another...you'll find it.

Ah but here is a very good point. What does it matter if the christian is 'good', he is only good because he fears punishment or wants favour from jesus. But the freemason, they don't actually beleive that Hiram Abif is going to ressurect them, these legends and myths are recognized as symbols. Jesus isn't a symbol, for christers, he's an actual god that operates in the world. Hiram Abif is a symbol, the pillars of the temple are symbols, the square and compass is a symbol, they are things that represent something else, and that representation has to be learned (further demonstration that they are not actual things). So the system of legends and myths is a way to teach these things and get people to think about them, its 'poetic pedagogy' you might say.
I mean think about it, what's easier to learn, basic geometry as a table of values, or a story about Peter Gowas and his magical triangle and string??

If masonry is based soley on symbolism and not the belief of a God operating the world, then I see no harm in that. But you'll always find that group of people who will twist it to confuse and persuade otherwise.

There is evil on both sides.

And evil will continue to manifest itself if one is in such a position of authority and given the opportunity to change one's belief on Life itself. One could change the person completely, because yes...man is searching for answers, and if one claims to have it, they will surely follow!

[edit on 3-4-2006 by eudaimonia]

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Okay...remember i posted earlier about the "net" in that picture, snaring the World.

Well, just thought about it some more...and I think I've got it.

It's a net...a web...like the World Wide Web...to snare and trap people into seeing only what is in front of them, like this computer you're all sitting in front of and reading My post from.

If all you do, is sit in front of the computer and internet...in front of the TV...or more aptly named "Boob Tube"...then you miss the whole World going by...and miss out on life experience.

The Internet and TV are good things to learn from, tempered by going out in the "Real World". Hell...I never understood that when My step-father said it when I was a kid...but now being 30 something I understand it completely.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
It's a net...a web...like the World Wide Web...to snare and trap people into seeing only what is in front of them, like this computer you're all sitting in front of and reading My post from.

What year was this temple built in?

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   

What year was this temple built in?

Quite a few before Al Gore invented the Internet, that's fer sure.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   

this is small little symbol that was above the grand hall doors:

What does it mean?

It is. It's the primary symbol of the 14° of the Scottish Rite, and is also found in the Royal Arch degree of the York Rite. It is the Hebrew Letter Yod surrounded by the Greek letter Delta, and is representative of the Deity. In Hebrew, Yod is the first letter of the Tetragrammaton, or Four Lettered Name, which has been translated into English as both "Jehovah" and "Yahweh".

Though it may be dangerous to confuse Yehowah(Christ) with Jahveh(God inverted?)

On that note, if anyone is interested; here is a quite in-depth explanation of IOD(goes along with an audio lecture).

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tamahu
On that note, if anyone is interested; here is a quite in-depth explanation of IOD(goes along with an audio lecture).

Interesting.

There's something else I'd like explained by a mason. This:

I know what you're probably thinking, oh we go again.

But seriously, could a mason explain their version of an inverted pentagram and a skull and bones?

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   

But seriously, could a mason explain their version of an inverted pentagram and a skull and bones?

That's a French apron: those symbols are commonly found on the regalia in the French Rite.

The skull, coffin, bones, etc., are the Emblems of Mortality, and are important symbols in the Third Degree. The Star on the flap refers to the Blazing Star, another Third Degree symbol.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   

That's a French apron: those symbols are commonly found on the regalia in the French Rite.

The skull, coffin, bones, etc., are the Emblems of Mortality, and are important symbols in the Third Degree. The Star on the flap refers to the Blazing Star, another Third Degree symbol.

Am I correct to say that Freemasonry emphasizes on the significance of Death?

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Actually, I think the reverse is mostly true. Freemasonry's focus lies in how we live. Our tenets and philosophies are very much concerned with the quality of a man's life and his thoughts, words and deeds whilst alive, rather than death itself.

Some of our symbolism is designed to remind us of our mortality as a lesson in humility (ie: No one lives forever, and we are all just part of creation. We are not gods, nor are we God himself).

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roark
Actually, I think the reverse is mostly true. Freemasonry's focus lies in how we live. Our tenets and philosophies are very much concerned with the quality of a man's life and his thoughts, words and deeds whilst alive, rather than death itself.

Some of our symbolism is designed to remind us of our mortality as a lesson in humility (ie: No one lives forever, and we are all just part of creation. We are not gods, nor are we God himself).

We can spend the whole day talking about how Freemasonry is a decent organization and not out to rule the world. Neither you or I or the respectable masons here on ATS could prove conclusively that the consiracy theorists are wrong. The evidence may be out there, but it's probably so top secret or its been so tampered with that it would be impossible to find anything concrete.

And we will continue to have these discussions until the day comes when a person comes foward with a credible background and documents to end all this once and for all.

Will we ever see that day come here on ATS? If it does, I wonder who will be the brave one to step foward?

[edit on 3-4-2006 by eudaimonia]

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 10:21 PM
link   
No worries, mate. I was just giving my take on your question regarding death, based on what I have learnt thus far as a member.

I'm yet to see any evidence of the whole "Freemasonry runs the world" theory. Unfortunately for serious conspiracy theorists, most of the commentary on the matter originates from people of questionable judgement, who still think that the Protocols of the Elders of Zion are legit.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join