It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airbus-1!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 02:15 PM
link   
US president to fly European aircraft! Airbus has beaten Boeing to the gate for the latest USAF procurement contract, this time for the prestigious Airforce-1 contract for VIP transports. The Airbus A380 is an airliner of gargantuan proportions, being far bigger than the famous Boeing 747 "Jumbo Jet".

www.air-attack.com
European large aircraft manufacturer Airbus has clinched the latest USAF VIP transport contract for two extra-large transport aircraft to fulfill the global VIP role. The Airbus bid beat off stiff competition from incumbent Boeing and up and coming Brazilian manufacturer Embraer.
The deal is worth an estimated $320m and covers two A380 Super-jumbo airliners each capable of seating some 300 passengers in VIP configuration. One Airbus has already been painted in USAF VIP transport colors in anticipation of the deal. The first delivery is scheduled for 2008 with the second aircraft joining the fleet in 2010, when it will replace the current fleet Boeing 747 presidential transports.
Airbus' success is an unexpected blow for the US aerospace industry and illustrates the potential dangers of open competition purchasing which allows non-US manufacturers to compete for US government contracts without a US based partner. It is also an uncomfortable echo of the airliner market where Airbus is currently outselling Boeing.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is going to be quite a wakeup call for the US aerospace industry which is facing growing international challenge, particularly from Europe. Boeing used to be the given winner for this type of contract and I’m sure the prestigious nature of supplying “Airforce-1” is not lost on the losers.

Imagine the presidential delegation flying in for trade talks in a foreign designed and built aircraft. Of course many countries without significant aerospace industries fly foreign types so maybe the US President is just following the norm. But the US has several manufacturers able to supply appropriate aircraft, although none so large as the A380.

[edit on 31-3-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I will not believe it until I see it in the MSM. Also one would think if this deal has been clinched Airbus would have issued a press release, but that is not the case.

Since it is claimed this is a deal for two aircraft then can anyone explain how they can buy two for 320 million when the cost of each depending on the configuration is $263 to $286 million estimated per aircraft?

Why is there no presidential seal on the aircraft? My guess is that photo was photo-shopped and does not even exist, again if it did surly airbus would have a picture on their website wouldn't they?

Also only a few cities in the world will even be able to handle that albatros, how can a president get to all the cities in the US if they cannot handle it?

This post has April Fool written all over it

[edit on 3/31/2006 by shots]

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Er, this wouldn't be date related would it....................

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Def sounds like an april fools.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Its about time America adopted some real quality aeroplanes from the true home of aviation instead of those silly flimsy toys they bravely, if foolhardily, fly in.

I hear a lot of Boeing design staff are going to Munich, Chester and Toulouse for retraining too so that Boeing can make sure it doesn't happen again.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Originally submitted as news. Staff lack sense of humour maybe?

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Its about time America adopted some real quality aeroplanes from the true home of aviation instead of those silly flimsy toys they bravely, if foolhardily, fly in.

I hear a lot of Boeing design staff are going to Munich, Chester and Toulouse for retraining too so that Boeing can make sure it doesn't happen again.

You have got to be kidding me!!!!!!!!! The true home of aviation?????????

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
my mom was at airbus all week in tuluce france. she seen a a380
take off and seen one in a hanger but said nothing about that plane.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   
April fool - the US doesn't believe in free trade when it comes to procurement at home.

It's fine when they're demanding access to everyone else's home markets but not vice versa

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Strangerous
April fool - the US doesn't believe in free trade when it comes to procurement at home.

It's fine when they're demanding access to everyone else's home markets but not vice versa

No that is untrue. The US considered bids for the new fleet of Marine One helicopters from what I believe it was a subisdary of airbus in fact, but they got out bid by Lockheed.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499

You have got to be kidding me!!!!!!!!! The true home of aviation?????????

Well, the (provable) early history of aviation indeed mainly took place in Europe.

First flight by the Montgolfiére Brothers (1783, France, Balloon)

First powered and controlled flight by Giffard (1852, France, Balloon with propeller)

First heavier-than-air flight by Sir George Cayley (1853, England, Glider)

First powered heavier-than-air flight by Clement Ader (1890, France, steam powered)

First controlled heavier-than-air flight (repeatedly) by Otto Lilienthal (1891, Germany, Glider)

First controlled powered heavier-than-air flight by the Wrights (1903, USA, powered glider)

The Wrights drew very much from the groundbreaking work of their predecessors, especially from Cayley and Lilienthal (the first "real" flyer). Basically they took Lilienthals glider, developed it with help of Cayleys thesises and put an Otto-engine (developed in Germany) on it. Their main indigenous act was the steering and the propeller shape.

By combining other theories and inventions and adding in their own work they managed exactly that: the first powered and controlled winged flight. Thats not to lessen their feat, but its not like the Wrights´development was anything like a climax or revelation. It was just another step in a steady and ongoing development done by dozens of people over hundreds of years.

[edit on 31/3/2006 by Lonestar24]

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Well done guys and the first AF of the day - classic and on a par with the BMW ads of the eighties - hats off to you

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
my vote's out on this one for now. It's a damn good photoshop job if it is indeed that. Anyone have any other sources for this story?

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

No that is untrue. The US considered bids for the new fleet of Marine One helicopters from what I believe it was a subisdary of airbus in fact, but they got out bid by Lockheed.

Yes it is true! That's why BAe bought into the US defence industry - it's impossible to sell to America unless you are an American firm.

www.businessweek.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   
C’mon, you guys cant figure out this post yet? But yeah, it is a pretty good photoshop job, first time I saw this picture was some time ago and it stunned me into silence for a few seconds.

[edit on 31-3-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Excuse me, waynos?
:shk:
A'hell, not even worth responding to.
Sometimes, I wonder.
April fools is due about when......hmm.

seekerof

[edit on 31-3-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Air attack is Zion Mainframe's website, one of the guys who posts here. This is a joke.

Especially after all the news that Airbus is doing terribly against Boeing in the last few days.

[edit on 31-3-2006 by skippytjc]

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Yes it is true! That's why BAe bought into the US defence industry - it's impossible to sell to America unless you are an American firm.
www.businessweek.com...

Of course you can't sell to the DoD unless you're an American company, or partnered with an American company. You're going to be privy to Top Secret information in some cases, and TS and higher can't be divulged to foreign nationals without special clearances. So it's easier all around to have it be at least partially owned by a US company, or a US subsidiary of a foreign company.

[edit on 4/1/2006 by Zaphod58]

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Most excellent!

Calm down, you lunatics! Can't you folks see the humor in this? This is way over the top, and if one first looks at his calender and then looks at the vertical stabilizer's obviously fake flag decal, it will be totally obvious and should be enjoyed for how it was meant to be.

Happy April First, everyone!!

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Nearly got me there... That plane sure looks a bit strange... Wondered why the europenas would buy a plane from Europe...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join