It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush stands firm on passports for Canadians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
This is going to do nothing but stall commerce,trade and tourism in both countries.Alot of people will stay home.It's like having more gun laws.It's a feel-good policy that put's the burden on the law abiding citizens who have them.Same thing will happen with those citizens who have to travel back and forth between the two countries-like myself!!.It will do nothing to stem the flow of illegals or unwanted into the U.S.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Story

I can't help but wonder what's the real reason behind all this.

The passport requirement is designed to protect against terrorist infiltrators.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. That line works for everything doesn't it?

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Its a waste of time, especially if its done through the driving access routes from canada to US.

If its only by air, it doesn't bother me that much. You have to/should take your passport when you fly, nothing new.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I sure hope that Canada does the same to the yankees whowant to come to Canada. Heck most 'muricans don't even know what a passport is and that should keep out the undersireable from the great white north.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
So long US. It was nice seeing you without a passport. I probably won't be visiting after Dec 31, 2007.

But the Chinese, Koreans, child brides and drug traffickers will still be running across the open border in the middle of the night.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
What is the problem people...
forget the passport...

just claim to be mexican, then walk right in...

it apparently only applies to US citizens trying to come back to the US...

and yeah... that should tell us something about the motivation and agenda behind it...

Ohh, why dont they just put the chips in our brains and be done with it?

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
It's a money grab, nothing more, nothing less. You have to pay to get a passport, and pay to renew it every 5 years. I've already got one so it won't affect me, but I don't like it.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I just heard last night on CNN that there are certain Senators and Congresscritters setting their sights on undocumented Canadian workers currently in the country. A few of these critters want to deport them. I say go for it, reverse the brain drain!
Send em up to Alberta when you do it too, so they don't have to walk far from the Airport to find work
(Alberta has the lowest unemployment rate in North America atm)

This is the best idea in a while. Oh yeah requiring a passport from Canadians....doesn't that like violate several treaties we've signed with you guys? Oh well, you guys broke NAFTA, It's not a surprise to see you guys go and trash yet another treaty.

Eventually the US of A will alienate itself to such an extent, that you guys will literally have not a friend in the world.
I think you guys need to take a reality pill, because it seems the majority of your population and politicians are quickly falling down the rabbit hole into some weird parrelel dimension where black is white and white is mango.

[edit on 31-3-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
doesn't that like violate several treaties we've signed with you guys? Oh well, you guys broke NAFTA, It's not a surprise to see you guys go and trash yet another treaty.

Eventually the US of A will alienate itself to such an extent, that you guys will literally have not a friend in the world.
I think you guys need to take a reality pill, because it seems the majority of your population and politicians are quickly falling down the rabbit hole into some weird parrelel dimension where black is white and white is mango.

[edit on 31-3-2006 by sardion2000]

WELL...
ahem...
I think "you guys" better stop making this an attack on the american people... we cant control our administration any more than you can... (our illegally elected administration, BTW)

If your leaders would stop bending over for him also, then maybe Our pain in the ass wouldn't be your pain in the ass...

Actually... i like Canadians, at least all but people like you, that paint in broad strokes... (actually, i like you also, so its cool)
but try not to hold all americans responsible for the mistakes of one...

I didn't break any treaties with you OK
I didn't break NAFTA Ok
and i dont alienate anyone
and i have many freinds all over the world
and i most assuridly dont need a reality pill... i see reality and its suckiness very clearly thanks...(i LIVE here)
and my peeps all concur...

in fact, the only thing about your statement that i agree with, is that yes, our administration, thru illegal acts, has made a king sized turd out of itself...

I am startled... you are usually so much more sympathetic to the American plight

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   
last thing we need is more conflict between any people in north america OR the world who are trying to do something about all this..

loved how Harper just ate it all up and that...very easy to see him doing that with something like microchips...one of his simple explanations was 'well they are doing it so we should too'...and of course you see that terrorist excuse bs again

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
If your leaders would stop bending over for him also, then maybe Our pain in the ass wouldn't be your pain in the ass...

Sadly, that will never happen.

Why?

Because the US government is going to do whatever it wants and doesn't give a flying rats behind about what Canada thinks or wants. If we don't go along, we get hit with tariffs, duties and whiny pundits on TV decrying us for being a bunch of ingrates who owe our security and economic well-being to the US.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I didn't post this thread to Bash Americans-lets please stay on topic

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Since you asked so nicely.

I think this whole passport thing is ridiculous. There are Minutemen patrolling both borders right now because nobody else is doing it and they worry about passports????

In 20 minutes I could be at the US border running back and forth naked, singing showtunes for three hours and never be challenged. Once this becomes impossible to do without being stopped for questioning, then passports could be something to worry about.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 11:49 PM
link   
What's the big deal. So you need a passport to enter another country that is not your own. Both countries should just make it equal, and everyone who travels back and forth should produce one.

If you want to travel, get a passport

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Kind of sucks that a passport will be needed. I think America and Canada are good brothers. Of course I've hiked along the border. So it isn't really closely watched. Just makes it a slight bit harder for a bad person to go back and forth on both borders.

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by sbob
Of course I've hiked along the border. So it isn't really closely watched. Just makes it a slight bit harder for a bad person to go back and forth on both borders.

not really there have been sensors along the border between wa/bc for years. nearly everyone who has grown up in whatcom county knows about the sensor net along the border and roads that dead end at it

they have recently upgraded them with better sensors and camera's

Mr Giuliano's patrols put sensors down along the border which send signals to a central command post in Blaine, generating a computerised voice alert announcing where there is movement and in what direction. Agents can then train one of 32 cameras on the area to determine whether a smuggler is making a crossing or a cow has gone astray.

The smugglers have equipped themselves with night-vision goggles and metal detectors in an attempt to locate the sensors under the cover of darkness. They also conduct surveillance operations watching the border patrols and testing their reaction times to the sensors, and intercepting radio messages with computerised scanners.

Source: Behind the idyll, the drug war that threatens to erupt

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   
This thread has provided some clarity for me. What's really going on here is that George Bush wants everyone including our allies to hate our guts.

I think he's succeeding.

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I don't think it's so much as wanting everyone to hate the U.S. I live on the border and I like the U.S. alot.I do alot of business in the states now since the exchange rate is favorable again.I just think that honest every day citizens are going to have to bear the burden of this.Of course I will get passports for my family,I have no choice.The Illegal or terrrorist type that want to enter the U.S. for no good reason won't.That's why I think it's a pointless policy aimed at making money and possibly hampering the Canadian economy.As for the minutemen/michigan militia, I think that that is no excuse for a secure border.I think the U.S wil have to rethink their policy and maybe consider a wall on the north and south borders

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Maybe bushco is initiating operation Russia...

Operation Russia would be difined as
converting a bankrupted USA into a new fresh "Union of Federated States"
that could blow off all the old debt, and take on a new administration, and new fresh image...
in short...
a total makeover of the present country that absolves us of any of the debts or historical burdens of the USA...

sounds like a good start...

new topics

top topics

join