It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ID Cards Compulsory in UK by 2010 - Official

page: 15
<< 12  13  14   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spuggy
I'm hoping that they move from cards to implants as soon as possible. I'd get an implant as soon as they were available, as would most of my friends. I don't see it as sinister, it's convenient. The number of times I've lost my cash card, passport, NI number, I'm currently far more at risk of identity fraud than I would be if I had a chip in my wrist. Sure it'll be abused by the governments and the criminal set, but the present forms of ID are allready abused by both and far more easily.

I don't believe any of this end of times NWO bull# so frankly I can see nothing but upsides. Chip me.

Erm you know very little about RFID technology, copying someones chip would be possible. Look at passports, the "secure" RFID chip in that has already been cloned, effectively giving someone a way to make new passports if they have the algorithm.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 05:24 AM
link   
It really doesn't bother me. Even if someone could remotely download and then upload all my details from a chip, who cares, currently all I have to do is drop my cash card and they have the same powers.

Cash card - need chip info, need pin, can be lost
Implant - need chip info, need pin, can't be lost.

My maths ain't all that shiny but it seems to me the implant removes one variable making it slightly safer.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 05:35 AM
link   
You are forgettign something, if you get your ID stolen when you have a chip in your hand, then you will NOT be getting that money back. It will take many years before they admit it isn't secure, and in that time loads of people will lose a lot of money.

Look at it this way, the chip will not improve security so why the hell should we have it?

EDIT

Oh and the new PIN would be your fingerprint or something else, these are easily gained from latent prints. So you go to a cafe and have a coffee, whilst in there a waitress scans the chip and now has that info, they get your cup and lift a print, two days later you are robbed. For anyone who thinks this is paronoia or science fiction, well i myself practiced with latent prints after reading about Tsutomo Matsumotos experiments with it years ago. I myself could copy my own prints easily, it's a joke it's being promoted as secure.

[edit on 5-2-2007 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I don't see how it would be harder to prove that someone had stolen my ID and used it than it would be that someone has stolen my cash card. The only real difference would be you wouldn't necessarily know.
Even so, with these sort of crimes it is either so easy that the powers that be do something, or it's so hard that very few people bother doing it.

Although Identity theft is a growing concern, its growing in an environment where implants aren't currently used. We'll only know the true extent of its abuse if / when it comes into action.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
THREE SALIENT POINTS:

1)The police ALREADY
have the power of arrest and detention if you cannot prove your identity for any reason.

2)It`s a PHENOMENAL waste of money that could be better spent, especially considering the govts poor record on implementing IT schemes(always over budget, inefficient and contracts for implementation done on a very selective basis and almost always not going to the best company.)

3)I have NEVER heard a single argument in favour of these that stands up to logical analysis. `Terrorists` could duplicate any technology we could use, and there is no substitute for mindful vigilance and understanding. Why should we be in danger of losing our liberties and money when we`re the innocent ones?! Having all our records on a database somewhere is surely asking for trouble? If Gary McKinnon could hack into the pentagon using BLANK admiistrator passwords, something`s definitely wrong somewhere. Although, I do muchly suspect that the Pentafgon did this in order to recruit/catch halfway good hackers.

Please somebody give me a good answer as to why we need these things!! How much for a replacement if our wallet gets stolen or we lose them? All these unanswered Q`s and No real answers. Hmmmm...

[edit on 23-4-2007 by MistahBear]

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MistahBear
Having all our records on a database somewhere is surely asking for trouble? If Gary McKinnon could hack into the pentagon using BLANK admiistrator passwords, something`s definitely wrong somewhere. Although, I do muchly suspect that the Pentafgon did this in order to recruit/catch halfway good hackers.

Just to comment on this part, Gary mckinnon isn't a good hacker, he did something that was so simple it was embarrassing for the states. They didn't catch any good hackers, they caught people using extremely basic techniques. Seriously i work in the IT industry and this crime was so very basic on a technical leval i can't even convey how easy it is to do.

As for the database being unsecure, well yes i admit this worries me deeply. If this system is tied into our daily lives then i really do think someone will access it illegally.

Also remember that we will need people to enter information into this database, whats to stop a criminal gang infiltrating it and creating false identities? Afterall the banking system was infiltrated with people stealing peoples details.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
OK, maybe halfway good hackers was going too far...(Retraction) I know he was doing something incredibly simple, hence my assertion that the pentagon was probably phishing or making a honeytrap or whatever. Posterboy for the new breed of incompetent bedroom geek brought up on cheesy movies like `wargames` etc. or whatever Hollywood is pushing these days. However, I`m glad you get the point anyhow. Wish more people would object to this before the law is unretractable, possibly is already too late.
I like my own company with nature or whatever, would hate to think that I was being tracked everywhere I go. Having said that, for 15 squid you can get anybody`s mobile tracked and four locations sent to you over a day or two(something similar anyhow), while you can also choose to have msgs sent to them telling them they`re being tracked. Freely available service over the internet.
At least you could leave yr mobile at home if you wanted...

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Plans to Multiply the Uses of ID cards

"But plans to "multiply the uses" of the ID scheme would mean there should be stronger accountability to Parliament."

BBC News

top topics

<< 12  13  14   >>

join