It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ID Cards Compulsory in UK by 2010 - Official

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 08:54 AM
link   
got my new passport a few days back... surprised to find the part where your photo and info is is now extra thick, why... because it has a special chip there which will hold my biometric details, face and/or finger prints, perhaps even dna information in the future...

this will be for anyone who wants to travel, to give over their finger prints and so on. the same will happen with the ID cards, except you won't be able to avoid those by not travelling and so on, you will eventually be giving your finger print over on a daily basis.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   
spymaster,

I didnt know only two companies were alowed credit data. VERY interesteing.

As far as i know its been that way for a while with TV licences. Of all the things to make you hit the roof i can guarantee you that although thats not good there are 1000 other things much more serious. ID cards are one of them.

What more information will these cards carry? well anything. Once the framework is in place governemt and corporations will find plenty of uses for it

[edit on 29-5-2006 by AdamJ]

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
IR1984 (like the name by the way)

yeah i can understand about the cash versus credit card idea but i personally have had an experience with a company called pc world where i went in to buy a scart lead, i was paying by cash , i think it came to about a tenner, and the salesperson asked me for my name and post code , i said why, im paying cash you dont need that? he said the till would not open until that information had been put in!!!!
i told him to stick the scart lead up his a**e and walked out...
BUT i have been back there since then and have not been asked for that info?

AdamJ
Re: hitting the roof: it was basically a knee jerk reaction that
A)woolworths were now collecting data on anyone who bought a topset box irrespective of their age.
B)who are they coaling this information with, apart from the TV licence people.
C) is this information being sold onto third parties?
which as in my sons case is illegal under the Miss-use of personal information and the collection of (the act )1999/protection of children (the act) 2001 revised.Given the fact that he is under 18 .

Re: experian/equifax
Yep its true mate, they are the only 2 companies in this country that hold COMPLETE full credit checks on you.
You can order your own credit file for about 2 quid and you would be suprised at what info these two companies hold on you..
If you live in a block of flats it will also give you a limited amount of info on other people in the block (i know coz ive done it when i lived in a flat).
You CANNOT contact them by phone you Must write in...why?
It dosent matter what credit you go for or like i say even the banks will somewhere along the line contact equifax/experian to have a look at your credit history, like i say i think its just the government operating this .

After all credit is BIG business why are there not more companies offering FULL credit history?

SAY NO TO ID CARDS
SAY NO TO THE EURO
AND ABOVE ALL SHRED EVRYTHING THAT HAS YOUR NAME ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I understand i just get frustrated because of so many ridiculous things that are going on.

Collecting data on tvs is one thing bearing in mind there shouldnt be a license in the first place really, if they tried to extend it to all electronics then that would be really worrying.
I imagine that information is being collected and passed onto TV interpol or whoever chases up the fines. Im sure Wollies sell the info as well, allegedly rampant in business.
Even the government has got in on the act with the ID cards database proposing 1. to sell the info 2. to charge to access the database. And all in the name of stopping fraud!, they have never heard of conflicts of interest.

You should oppose ID cards even though you are tracked anyway, because its not about tracking!!! Well it is a bit, once the currency is all electronic, but not yet.
Its about setting up the infrastructure that will lead to the microchip in 10-15 years time.
There is so much more they can do with a forced citizen ID card than they can without it in place, if you dont believe me you have never been in control of strategy or security in your 40 year life.
When you go into a secure facility you have an electronic pass to allow access, or you did 20 years ago, more advanced now. But the point is this is an extension of military/prison style security outwards into the public world. It gives those in control of security the power to control access of others which is why we are now seeing calls for a public homeland security department, there needs to be a public front for the democracy, even if nobody there actualy does anything...like the home office(?)...because the real work is done elsewhere.
ID cards is about alot of things, its a major precedent setting, framework developing step. Once its in place expect abuse.

I have said my peice, rantings of a lunatic or someone who has done a bit of investigating, make of it what you will.
Im getting bored with ID cards now, Toll roads next, every town, city and motorway in the country with electronic tracking ever mile, just so they can have a flexible tax on transport and track everyone! hurray.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   
AdamJ:
Dont get me wrong mate , im 100% against the ID card, and as i said previously perhaps i havent read enough on it , i genuinly didnt realise that they were expecting to coalate so much info into the card.

SAY NO TO ID CARDS
SAY NO TO THE EURO
AND ABOVE ALL ELSE...SHED EVERYTHING THAT HAS YOUR NAME ON IT!!!!!!

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 06:38 PM
link   
BBC Link

Thats just to start with.

Yea, if you shred all your documents and speak a little Albanian you will probably get less hassle.

[edit on 29-5-2006 by AdamJ]

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Bit more news/advice...

If you want to stay out of the government's identity card database for the next 10 years you might want to renew your passport now.

Throughout May anti-ID card group No2ID has been running a campaign encouraging people to renew their passports, which the group said will keep people out of the National Identity Register (NIR) - the database behind the system - until 2016.

The group warned: "If you wait until autumn, you risk giving up personal data to be used for the government identity database. Pay £51 for a 10-year passport while you can. The charge for ID registration and a record for life will be at least £93."

And now the MPs in the Liberal Democrat home affairs team have applied to renew their passports.

When the ID card system is up and running - around 2009 - when people apply for a new passport they will be issued with an ID card as well. It is possible to opt out of receiving an ID card with the passport until 2010.

People who opt out will still have to pay for the ID card - and still have their fingerprints, iris scans and personal details taken and stored on the NIR.

But as passports issued now will be valid for 10 years, people will be able to stall until 2016 before they have to register for an ID card.

Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman Nick Clegg said ID cards will be expensive, intrusive and ineffective, and encouraged anyone concerned about ID cards to renew their passport now.

He said in a statement: "We are encouraging people to apply for passports early, to avoid having important personal details added to a database, which may well not be secure."

source silicon news

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Bit more news for the 'ID card depository'

Government ordered to release secret ID card report

The UK's data protection watchdog has ordered the government to release a controversial secret report detailing the costs, benefits and risks of introducing ID cards.

The decision follows a complaint by Liberal Democrat MP Mark Oaten in 2004 after the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) refused his request in a parliamentary question to publicly release its ID cards feasibility report.

Each central government department has conducted a secret feasibility report into how it plans to use ID cards and what the costs, risks and benefits are likely to be.

Following the DWP's refusal to release the controversial report the MP complained to the data protection watchdog, the Information Commissioner's Office, which considered the decision under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act, even though the law had not been introduced when Oaten first made his request in 2004.

Thomas said in his ruling: "There is clearly also a strong public interest in the public knowing whether the introduction of identity cards will bring benefits to the DWP, and to other government departments, and if so what those benefits will be... It will allow the public to make a more accurate assessment of whether the significant costs of the scheme are justified by the benefits it is likely to deliver in areas such as the prevention of benefit fraud."

If the DWP does not appeal the decision it will have 30 days to hand the ID card report over to Oaten.

source - silicon news

So hopefully by next month some more info on this subject should be in the public domain

GSA

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Ok Im going to add fuel to this fire - heres what they could do with your DNA signature.

A) find out what viruses / illnesses your immune /succeptable to.
B) Find out what illnesses your geneticaly predisposed to.
C) Are you allergic to certain produce /chemicals / food stuffs.
D) Your disposition and leanings towards criminality. (Yes there is a criminality gene. dont believe me? google it. Then get worried.)
E) Copy your DNA, use it for their research purposes including chemical / biological warefare tests for use later on against a certain types of people. Think that could not happen? CIA started the research in 1970's......

So what does it mean? They could deny you a home because of your genetic disposition to illness - Illness when your 60 predicted? ok no mortgage so no home. They could deny you / force you to take treatment for a 'found' condition (A campaign for healthy lives I bet with a very hidden agenda). They can make a specific toxin that affects only those its programmed for use against... and the list goes on.

BUT before they can make such a weapon or lists, they need all or 90 % of the countries DNA. Why? because 10 % is still 6 million people, and thats one hell of a force to quell in an uprising - even if you have stripped them of all their knives and guns.

VIVA LA REVOLUTION !!!!!

(Revolt now, save time later on for glorying over Tony Blairs hasty exit if we all rose up and said NO!)

DNA is the future of state versus peoples warefare.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   
went to america recently, had to give my finger print when i got to the immigration bit over there, also they always take a photo of you too. and when you want to go back to england, after you check in you're told to go to a certain machine near where you board. this machine has a security guard there who takes your passport, gets you to do your finger prints again, takes a photo and so on..

it's so nice being treated like a criminal.

this is just with passports and travelling, soon they'll add the face biometric scans, and this won't then only be for just travelling, with the ID cards, you'll be giving over your finger prints multiple times daily, same goes for the face scans, pictures of you, maybe even taking your DNA and so on..

criminalising every single person does not solve terrorism.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaunybaby
went to america recently, had to give my finger print when i got to the immigration bit over there, also they always take a photo of you too. and when you want to go back to england, after you check in you're told to go to a certain machine near where you board. this machine has a security guard there who takes your passport, gets you to do your finger prints again, takes a photo and so on..

Hi shauny. Well i agree that being treated like a criminal when you are not isn't nice. I wonder if some people who were treated like this would turn into criminals. Afterall if you are being treated as such then who cares what you do right?

On a smaller point. I thought UK citizens with a recent passport didn't have to have their fingerprints taken. The USA is running a visa waiver program for most UK citizens that don't have criminal records and a few other requirements.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
On a smaller point. I thought UK citizens with a recent passport didn't have to have their fingerprints taken.

my passport recently ran out so prior to going i had to get a new one, which has an rfid chip to store my finger print. although even if you don't have this new passport they still take your prints and a photo of you. i'm guessing the photo is actually for some sort of facial recognition.

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Surprise, surprise - the DWP won't be disclosing their secret ID card cost report anytime in the near future...

Whitehall fights to keep ID card cost report secret
Department for Work and Pensions appeals FoI order...

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is appealing against an order by the UK's data protection watchdog to release a secret report on the costs, benefits and risks of introducing ID cards in the UK.

The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) last month ordered the DWP to make the details of the report public after a complaint by Liberal Democrat MP Mark Oaten in 2004.

Each central government department has conducted a secret feasibility report into how it plans to use ID cards and what the costs, risks and benefits are likely to be.

Oaten had complained to the ICO after the DWP refused to release its ID cards feasibility report in response to a parliamentary question he had tabled. Each central government department has conducted a secret feasibility report into how it plans to use ID cards and what the costs, risks and benefits are likely to be.

The ICO considered the complaint under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act and, after reviewing a copy of the report, information commissioner Richard Thomas ruled that the public interest in disclosing the information outweighs the public interest in keeping it secret.

Thomas said in his ruling last month: "There is clearly... a strong public interest in the public knowing whether the introduction of identity cards will bring benefits to the DWP, and to other government departments, and if so what those benefits will be... It will allow the public to make a more accurate assessment of whether the significant costs of the scheme are justified by the benefits it is likely to deliver in areas such as the prevention of benefit fraud."

The DWP had 30 days to either comply with the order or appeal and a spokesman confirmed to silicon.com the department lodged an appeal against the ruling earlier this week, just inside that deadline.

The appeal process is now expected to drag on for several months.

source - silicon news

I'll post any further developments here

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Lovely bit of news:

Official: ID cards project will fail
Leaked emails reveal serious concerns about ID project...

newsletters.silicon.cneteu.net...

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Thought i would just add this to this thread. A nicely made little video on youtube. It could easily been seen as true no ID = must be criminal. So if i want my privacy i'm a criminal, yep lovely.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Glastonbury 2007, you're not getting in without photo ID.

A registration system for Glastonbury Festival tickets has opened.
The system - designed to stop touts - requires fans to submit a passport photograph to go on their tickets.

Fans will be able to register their interest online or by post and those registered will be able to apply for the £150 tickets from 1 April.

news.bbc.co.uk...

- Well, it made me laugh anyway.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
This is getting serious.
I see a lot of people informing and expressing their opinion about these I.D cards but we really need to organise ourselves.
Is there any organisations/website that organise protests, do you think there should be a thread devoted to organising the action of ats members to make the general population aware of the dangers of the I.D cards?

Let me know what you think.
I for one am very motivated to do something about this.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
There is a nice campaign running named NO2ID. Their website can be found here.

www.no2id.net...

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I'm hoping that they move from cards to implants as soon as possible. I'd get an implant as soon as they were available, as would most of my friends. I don't see it as sinister, it's convenient. The number of times I've lost my cash card, passport, NI number, I'm currently far more at risk of identity fraud than I would be if I had a chip in my wrist. Sure it'll be abused by the governments and the criminal set, but the present forms of ID are allready abused by both and far more easily.

I don't believe any of this end of times NWO bull# so frankly I can see nothing but upsides. Chip me.

Edn

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by shaunybaby

it's so nice being treated like a criminal.
That must have been a recent thing, I had to give my finger print at the US embassy and a photo but not coming back into the country.

Incidentaly getting into the US was a piece of cake, they take your fingerprint after waiting for 6 hours, check your criminal record (I presume) and ask you why your going and to have a nice trip, once I got there (by ship btw) theres another check at the port where basically the guy looks at my passport then at me and says 'thats fine'. The security there is a joke.

I'm not sure on the details but if the ID card isn't stoppable, Scotland at least becoming independent may be the last chance to stop the ID scheme spreading into Scotland, unfortunately that doesn't help my English friends here.

On another note, is it not legal to be able to leave the country without a passport? I thought they were only needed to re-enter the country?

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join