It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Tests Missile Able to Avoid Radar

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
Any documented test results to back up that 50m CEP for the Shahab 3/4?
I have heard/read much to the contrary where the Shahab series have have very 'few' successful test flights.
And by successful I don't just mean getting it of the ground.
Infact I've been trying hard to find any pure success test results backed by external sources.
The Kh-55 missiles (if) sold to Iran, will prove to be a great stand-off weapon in any future invasion attempt, especially with a estimated CEP of 150 metres. But most doubt that Iran will be able to get them operational.

This shady deal by Ukraine is phenomenal

no my source is iranian. although i have read non-iraian source that claims iranain missile shahab-3d has cep of

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I dont know to much about missiles and their ranges etc, but find reading about them interesting. I did come across this site that says Iran has an ICBM with a range of close to 4,000 miles. But then again I would guess that it all comes down to delivery systems and such, is this correct? The missile is the Shahab 6, and below is the link to the site.

www.missilethreat.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by tracer
I dont know to much about missiles and their ranges etc, but find reading about them interesting. I did come across this site that says Iran has an ICBM with a range of close to 4,000 miles. But then again I would guess that it all comes down to delivery systems and such, is this correct? The missile is the Shahab 6, and below is the link to the site.

www.missilethreat.com...

it doesnt exist yet. its supposed to be an evolution of the iranian space launch missile.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
According to Iran's head of missile program, Salami, it's not a new missile afterall, the term "new missile" is referred to a new warhead which could be attached to any missile systems in Iranian arsenal. I do not know how a new warhead could evade radar. someone could clarify me on that!?

the video clip, Iranian TV showed while reporting on this new missile, was simply the launching of an Iranian shahab 3 missile, nothing new. but at the very end of the clip, multiple warheads(5,6) could be seen hitting the ground.

The technology is supposed to be completely new, without copying any other missile systems, but the only thing special about this weapon is, I guess, its capability to carry multiple warheads.

Television had said the type of missile tested was called Fajr-3 but Salami, the missile command of the air force of the Revolutionary Guards, did not name the new weapon or give the missile's range, saying it depended on the warhead weight. He said it was a defensive weapon.

It's probably a long range missile, designed to evade israeili ARROW II anti-missile system.

Accompanying the report of the test, state television showed footage of a single missile being launched from land. The television report also described it as a "long-range missile."

According to globalsecurity.org, Farjr 3 is a 240 mm artillery rocket with a 25 mile range. iranians have a bit of reputation for calling different weapons systems same. eg. Iranian locally made tank is called "Zulfaghar" but is also used to name a locally made missile boat. or the term "raad" is used to name both a trainer jet and a ATGM.

Iran has been working on another missile, called the Kosar, that would be undetectable by radar and designed to sink ships in the Gulf

one more thing to add to my post is that Salami was quoted as saying that new sophisticated weapon systemS will be tested in the coming days during the military manouvre

KEEP IT REAL

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Iqonox you are very misguided about US technology. Ground foliage does not stop Satellite Surveilance. They scan in multiple frequencies not just the visable light spectrum.

The CIA has been in Iran for many many many years. Since prior to 1977 so needless to say the US has lots of "insider" data about Iran's weapon systems and capabilities. We sold them F4's and F14's after all. Do you really think all of our staff went "home".

As for your Scud's finding their targets, you seem to be forgetting "electronic denial". ECM systems that the US can and does utilize in the region allow for almost total comination of the electronic spectrum when it comes to air warfare. This includes your missile guidance systems. The only systems not broken by current ECM measures are "light and hit" systems, which reguire active painting of a target. Something your "aircraft" will not have the opporotunity to do once this thing gets going.

We are not going to cruise our ships into your ports until we have secured them. So they will remain out of range of your naval missile batteries.

The point is that your "radar avoiding" missile is also going to avoid the "radar using ship". According to how you precieve that they operate.

An orbiting ECM 707 is going to detect a cruise missile launch and post a track to a possible threat target in plenty of time for appropriate counter measures to be deployed to eliminate the cruise missile or to reduce the probablity of it finding a target.

Does Iran have GPS combat satelites ? How are they going to input the target data into their guidance systems ? How are they going to know where are assests are to even hit them. They cant fly recon planes overhead as they will be shot down.

You really need to think some things through about the real capabilities of Iran's military hardware vs the US military machine.

Ground based IR locking portable SAM's will always be a threat to any nations aircraft. But you are only going to take out low flying "ferry" units, helicopters etc as modern day ATG attacks occur from a ceiling height typically higher then where your IR Sam can lock onto. Laser JDAM's or Sat-JDAM's only have to be "spotted" and they are fire and forget. Even TV guided Mavericks can be fired from a safe enough distance to take out targets without worrying about IR Portable Sams.

We are going to hit probably two main targets and then see what Iran's response is going to be, the second we see Iran attempt a counter strike I am sure we will launch a multiple front ordinace strike being a mixture of cruise missiles, ATG and possibly even EMP Beam weapons

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Sure, the US has the most expensive arsenal for death and destruction in the history of warfare. But they can't leave the Green Zone. What’s up here, anyway?

[edit on 3/31/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   
you guys are gonna have to thank me for this one
..heres the video
. Shahab-4 will be shown in public soon enough too.

www.iribnews.ir...

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   

thats not true america couldnt even take out all the SAMs that serbs had

That may be true but it did not stop NATO from bombing where it wanted with little restriction.

how can they take out the sams of iran whic has hundreds of ground lanched systems combined with infrared independant system like the Rapiers which are self controlled passive infrared and/or radar guided as well. irans systems can function with or without radar and can instead use passive targeting if they want

The US will be able to bomb where it wants, when it wants.

That does not mean it will be able to achieve its political goals.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 10:13 PM
link   
The Fateh-110 missile is a ground to ground missile.
It uses solid propellant, which is why it is based on a 1980's missile, because that missile happened to be solid-propellant driven instead of liquid fueled, and probably the only one available to the Iranians back then, as I am sure they were targeted as the "bad guys" back then too. So they had to deal with other "bad guy" countrys, and take the best they could get. Solid propellant missiles are more reliable or insensitive to battle conditions or something like that, so it is a good move.
It is technically a single-stage missile, but it can obviously shed the rear half of itself, making it much lighter and controllable by the small frontal fins.
It can maneuver in the air to avoid patriot-missiles very effectively, and is very unpredictable for the enemy, due to this feature. Although it isn't a cruise missile, it can glide for up to 50 kilometers when gliding starts at 8 kilometers altitude, and probably much much further when gliding from the top point of the trajectory at 60 kilometers altitude. That would give it somewhere around 1000 kilometers range, and then you can start to worry. Guidance system is unknown. It can probably be filled with gas and all sorts of nasty stuff too :-) better come prepared! hehehehe
Stealth is not hard at all, just coat the missile with the right material, and it will be VERY hard to find in the sky. The thing about it, is that you need a bigger radar in order to track an object that is small and stealth, but there are no radars that can be transported in the field, that are capable of finding a stealth missile, nor are there any aircraft-radars that can, unless it's AWACS, and those will be shot down, and have limited capabilities also. The only thing that is big enough to look for missiles, is aircraft carriers and huge ships, but Iran is a big country, and it is going to be near impossible to see anything mid-way into the country from the persian gulf or the sea, so there will be big problems for the americans. And nobody north of Iran will rent out their ground radars to the americans before an unprovoked attack on Iran. It's stupid not to consider the amount of ground to air and air to air missiles Iran probably has also, and an attacker will have to go home before he uses up all his decoys, but he might not get back out of Iran at all with a couple of missiles and fighterjets chasing him. Even 2 missiles are enough to bring down an F-16 with all the decoys in the world. This will not be like Iraq at all, there are 70 000 000 people instead of 27 000 000, so the americans will have to use 3 times as many soldiers and weapons, and they will have to use nuclear weapons like they did against Iraqi forces outside Baghdad. It will be interesting to watch, and I will enjoy every dead invader.

My estimates are 20 000 dead americans and maybe 500 000 dead iranians, because the americans will use neutron bombs. Otherwise they would have been equal.

I hope the Iranians kick some devil-ham.

[edit on 31/3/2006 by Aztecatl]

By the way, the americans have no reason to congratulate themselves on their stealth airplanes, because they too relie on flying AROUND radars. Even the B2 and F-117 need to do that. But a stealth MISSILE, being maybe 50 cm. diameter, will be practically invisible to all radars.

Haha, I have a program on my computer, where I can watch live radar from the entire Netherlands, and listen to traffic down there too, and I have radio for listening to air traffic up here.

I'll tell you if I see anything suspicious.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I am quite sure that the Iranians are confusing hitting multiple targets with the thing falling apart in mid-flight?

Furthermore, I suppose it was fired from their new radar-evading ballistic missile submarine, as well?

seekerof

[edit on 31-3-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
See, THAT is why americans are hated around the world. because of their ignorance on technical things, and their 5-year old behavior.

Why don't you try adding something useful to your complaining. But I guess you're too scared to think. And form follows function, at least in REAL militarys! Not the company sponsored coke-can armor-plated military you have in america.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aztecatl
See, THAT is why americans don't deserve to live.

You, my new ATS friend, are in need of two things:
One, reading the Terms and Conditions of this site.
Two, seeking psychiatric counseling. They do have that in the Netherlands, do they not?

seekerof

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   
^^ Jeg kann ikke snakke norsk, takk.

What are you going on an on about?!And since when did that sub become a ballistic missile sub?

Neutron Bomb?!!

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mehran
not a surprise since we have already mastered stealth technology
. It will probably be similar to Fateh-110 cruise missile and hopefully ranges up to 1,000km. By the way the missiles name is Fajr3

[edit on 31-3-2006 by Mehran]

[edit on 31-3-2006 by Mehran]

Yeah, sure. And my farts don't stink. Keep it up Moran, I need the laughs.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   

By the way, the americans have no reason to congratulate themselves on their stealth airplanes, because they too relie on flying AROUND radars. Even the B2 and B17 need to do that. But a stealth MISSILE, being maybe 50 cm. diameter, will be practically invisible to all radars.

If you're gonna spout off, at least learn what you're talking about FIRST.

It's the F-117, the B17 was a World War II bomber. The B-2, and the F-117 do try to fly around radars yes, HOWEVER, the way that the stealth works is to make the detection range significantly lower than say a B-52, or an F-15. Where a B-52 or F-15 would be detected at 60 miles, a B-2 or F-117 would be detected at 15-20 or lower.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Maybe you should learn to read first zaphod, I only got the name of the airplane wrong, THE REST I AM AN EXPERT ON!

Seekerof: You managed to cut and paste that line in the 2 seconds it existed, obviously! well I had already changed it before you made a note of it! BECAUSE I REMEMBERED THE RULES suddenly!

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
^^ Jeg kann ikke snakke norsk, takk.

What are you going on an on about?!And since when did that sub become a ballistic missile sub?

Neutron Bomb?!!

What are YOU going on about? If you didn't have anything reasonable to say, I am convinced that you are breaking the rules. I never said anything which you just said, and what about the neutron bombs? have you never heard of it? then maybe you shouldn't try to correct me on it.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Aztecatl,

Seekerof is not the only one who saw that, rest assured.

Contribute to the discussion in a manner consistent the ATS Terms and Conditions, otherwise you may lose access to the forums.

Thank you.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 11:31 PM
link   
if you would just apply some common sense, I am sure you would have a much nicer forum, and i CLEARLY STATED that i have already corrected myself on that word! it was a slip of the tongue!

You could start by telling me WHERE the rules are located, because I can't even seem to find them now!

I am sick and tired of people jumping at every opportunity to say something to ME, but seekerof is allowed to call me crazy out of the blue! that is the same as calling people stupid, and as far as I know, it is not allowed on this forum either! do you follow the rules, or do you just follow them when you WANT?

By the way I have three people on ignore from now on, and that is seekerof, zaphod, and that other guy from this thread who i can't remember the name of.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 11:49 PM
link   

and i CLEARLY STATED that i have already corrected myself on that word! it was a slip of the tongue!

You could start by telling me WHERE the rules are located, because I can't even seem to find them now!

First, it was NOT a slip of the tongue. Second, It WAS posted to this forum, regardless of duration.

Here are the Terms and Conditions for the ATS Community.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Post accordingly with appropriate board etiquette.

Your aggressive behavior in posting has not gone unnoticed and no mincing of words in hindsight will change that which is, or was, posted to the board.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join