It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blackwater USA Offers Private Armies For Hire

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Blackwater USA's vice chairman, Cofer Black, announced at an international conference held in Jordan this week, the company's readiness to offer small private military forces for hire. Blackwater USA describes itself as a "professional military, law enforcement, security, peacekeeping, and stability operations firm." Founded in 1997, Blackwater USA is currently headquartered in Moyock, NC.

home.hamptonroads.com

Stepping into a potential political minefield, Blackwater USA is offering itself up as an army for hire to police the world's trouble spots.

Cofer Black, vice chairman of the Moyock, N.C.-based private military company, told an international conference in Amman, Jordan, this week that Blackwater stands ready to help keep or restore the peace anywhere it is needed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Cofer Black is an interesting character in this. He's the guy alleged to have been most responsible for the CIA's failure to notify the FBI when it became aware that Flight 77 hijacker, Nawaf al-Midhar, (known to the US Government as an al-Qaeda terrorist), had entered the U.S. a full year previous to 9/11. ( Source. )

As the source above points out, an order was in fact given to prevent the notification, calling into question his testimony before the panel... (See, also, Memo on 9/11 Plotters Blocked )

I find this portion of Cofer Black's testimony to the Joint Congressional Intelligence Committee in September 2002, very intriguing:

Mr. Chairman, I am honored to be here. I appreciate your offer for me to speak from behind a screen in order to protect me. Normally, I would have accepted. This hearing is more important. I do not want to be only a voice. The American people need to see my face. I want to look the American people in the eye.

Nobody regrets more, that we did not stop the attacks on September 11, than the officers of CTC or their former Chief. Frankly from an intelligence perspective, in order to have a fighting chance to protect this country from al-Qa'ida, we needed to attack the Afghan terrorist sanctuary protected by the Taliban. CIA appreciated this all too well. That is also why on 11 September we were ready and prepared to be the first boots on the ground in Afghanistan in late September.

I know that we are on the right track today and as a result we are safer as a nation. "No Limits" aggressive, relentless, worldwide pursuit of any terrorist who threatens us is the only way to go and is the bottom line. What we have managed to achieve abroad has been due in large part to the extraordinary professionalism of our men and women in CTC and those CIA operatives overseas who do the risky, hard work of counterterrorism. Lastly, I was proud of them then, am now, and will be until I die.

TESTTMONY OF COFER BLACK

Almost sounds like a commercial, when one considers the services he now provides, huh?

War is indeed a profitable business....

[edit on 31-3-2006 by loam]

[edit on 4-4-2006 by asala]

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I'm not sure if the thrust of this submission is Blackwater, USA or Cofer Black's past role as head of the CTC. Both are very interesting topics.

I would like to say that Jamie Gorelick was probably more responsible than anyone for the wall of non-communication between the FBI and the CIA ( see www.nationalreview.com... for refresher details ).

As for Blackwater, I wonder who they are offering their services to, given the audience, an international conference in Amman, Jordan. Could their profit motives potentially collide with US interests?

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I'm not sure if the thrust of this submission is Blackwater, USA or Cofer Black's past role as head of the CTC. Both are very interesting topics.

Kind of both....

Interesting connection, don't you think?

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
As long as he isn't hired by forces opposing the US then good luck to him and his company. Also, past examples in Africa have shown us that private entities can indeed solve problems that the international community wants to ignore.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Heck, who said that US militias are dying out or that mercenaries are no part of the US, now they are called, professional military, law enforcement, security, peacekeeping, and stability operations firm.

Use your right to free markets and capitalism and there you have it, is all legal.

But
watch out As long as is not against the government is ok.

[edit on 4-4-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   

But watch out As long as is not against the government is ok.

Well, yeah, you can’t be an American and fight/support a military force against the US, that's treason Marge

Use your right to free markets and capitalism and there you have it, is all legal.

Are you implying that it shouldn’t be legal? If so then I fail to see why.

[edit on 4-4-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
The USA is the bloodiest cheekiest country I have ever ever come across...talk about double blooming standards...OMG you double dealing back stabbing total country of political double standards hypocrites!!

Oh and now because the USA does it, private armies are ok now are they? Well thank you very much Mr World police man! oh the double dealing hypocritical s####!!

Sierra Leon, Africa, 1996. President Bill Clinton condemns private armies keeping the peace and stopping the bloodshed, and uses his political might to force the private forces to leave sierra leon ( After they had halted all bloodshed and kept the peace and had an excellent record on all accounts there) Nov 1996 Clinton forces them out, saying US / UN troops would do the Job. May 1997 bloodshed erupted again and the UN lost control. Not until UK troops from 16th airmobile and special forces arrived and took control did a semeblance of normality return.

The company was (Is) executive outcomes, and they did a job with less than 250 men that the UN could not do with 11000. And the real funny thing? The Russian UN troops used the 'private' armies intelligence over its American / Dutch supplied info due to its accuracy and timely gathering.....

And the US condemned private armies !!??!!....Until they want to use them that is....

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Its morally deplorable and shows what hypocrites the U.S. government is, but there is no getting around the fact that it is very effective in small-scale warfare. In fact, by 2010, these guys will be prime-time as the usage of regular military forces will be "out of fashion," so to speak.

Its fun when you see mercenaries getting dominated by regular troops, though, American or foreign.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Here is an interesting exchange between the President and a student, who asked about what laws govern the activities of private military forces...

Q Thank you, Mr. President. It's an honor to have you here. I'm a first-year student in South Asia studies. My question is in regards to private military contractors. Uniform Code of Military Justice does not apply to these contractors in Iraq. I asked your Secretary of Defense a couple months ago what law governs their actions.

THE PRESIDENT: I was going to ask him. Go ahead. (Laughter.) Help. (Laughter.)

Q I was hoping your answer might be a little more specific. (Laughter.) Mr. Rumsfeld answered that Iraq has its own domestic laws which he assumed applied to those private military contractors. However, Iraq is clearly not currently capable of enforcing its laws, much less against -- over our American military contractors. I would submit to you that in this case, this is one case that privatization is not a solution. And, Mr. President, how do you propose to bring private military contractors under a system of law?

THE PRESIDENT: I appreciate that very much. I wasn't kidding -- (laughter.) I was going to -- I pick up the phone and say, Mr. Secretary, I've got an interesting question. (Laughter.) This is what delegation -- I don't mean to be dodging the question, although it's kind of convenient in this case, but never -- (laughter.) I really will -- I'm going to call the Secretary and say you brought up a very valid question, and what are we doing about it? That's how I work. I'm -- thanks. (Laughter.)

Source and Video.

Convenient, indeed.

He sounds ridiculous....

[edit on 10-4-2006 by loam]

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadGreebo
The USA is the bloodiest cheekiest country I have ever ever come across...talk about double blooming standards...OMG you double dealing back stabbing total country of political double standards hypocrites!!

I'm not denying that.

The problem isn't just with our government, it's primarily with the sheeple who vote for these jokers time and again! They go to sleep, wake up every couple of years and vote for their party, then go back to sleep.

As long as Joe Sixpack can do pretty much whatever he wants, watch the idiot box, party, drink beer, have fun, it's all good.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
This blackwater buisness isn't about serving the world or our country, its about making money (funny a buisness should do a thing like that). Anyway i wonder if they will be supplying forces to Iraq? Because if they are then at least nobody need feel sorry for their money snorting mercenaries when they die. In fact lets hope they kill these people of by giving them tasks to dangerous for real soldiers to do?

The bad news is that mercenaries are hardly the sort of people I would wish on anyone to recieve as implimentors of our forighn polycies. Espically as they arn't governed by law when it comes to things like civilians.

Then again at least it our own body count down (in which case so much for Iraq being for the benerfit of the Iraqi people!!!).

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Mercinaries are nothing new, and the US / UK have many firms. They are a "private" way of dealing business on a military playing field. They have good cover and offer (among other things) a great way to covertly (relative term) train local forces in an attempt to influence the local politics.

SOF = Soldiers' of Fortune.
The US breads ignorance. Look at what the Republicans want to do with public education, despite its pro US learned nature.

[edit on 18-4-2006 by pcxmac]

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 12:18 AM
link   
A little off topic....

Can you blame the men that take on jobs with private military companies like Blackwater?

They spend a few years (some longer than others) in the military making average pay, then they work a year or two for these PMC's...making 100k-200k a year.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Don't be so harsh on these private firms. A lot of guys are in the US military, go SF, then Delta or something like that before they go to a private military. These private militarys are no joke, they pay these guys for their skills. They don't pick up just any guy off the street.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Yeah, I guess its easy to blame greedy people who like to kill, or train others to kill. Heh, oh well, we are all sinners.

I dont think people who kill for money have any honor myself. People who defend themselfs and what they need (not what they want) have a little bit more.

Here is an article on that incident with the BlackWater people in Fallujah,

www.thenation.com...

It goes in to possible neglegence, and bad operations that could have happen.
(Lawsuite pending)

Here is another good link to a "Front Line" documentart (PBS)

www.pbs.org...

[edit on 21-4-2006 by pcxmac]

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 02:27 AM
link   

dont think people who kill for money have any honor myself. People who defend themselfs and what they need (not what they want) have a little bit more.

Well that's your opinion of course but let me ask you this. Will honor pay for your expenses or family? Honor is great thing but in today's world you need a little bit more then honor to survive.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liberal1984

Anyway i wonder if they will be supplying forces to Iraq? Because if they are then at least nobody need feel sorry for their money snorting mercenaries when they die. In fact lets hope they kill these people of by giving them tasks to dangerous for real soldiers to do?

I have been a security contractor in Iraq for over 2 years. I have not seen any money snorting mercenaries yet `
. I do resent the fact that you are hoping that we get killed off by doing dangerous work.

Security contractors over here are doing security work, and we are in fact limited by the MNFI in our activities. We can only act to protect, and never conduct combat operations on our own or even with the MNFI.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Blackwater is a good company to work for, I know some people who work for them.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
...making 100k-200k a year.

Not to mention that money is often Tax free

P.M.Cs AKA Mercs are really the old dogs of War they have been around since men started having wars. Standing armies for nations are really the new commers compared to mercs in warfare.

The Dogs of War arent goinf any where soon.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Trunk Monkey.......you have to understand, the truth does not fit with the vast majority of anti-americanism on this board.

They will chalk you up to being a plant, CIA operative, lair, or that you are crazy and insane and should be locked up.

Also they will balme GWB.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join