It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange UK ship in Military dock.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I have a close up off google earth that shows a strange British ship of which I can find zero information. Any clues? I have a zoomed Pic.
pg.photos.yahoo.com.../98d5&.dnm=954d.jpg&.ph

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Woah, I've never seen a ship like that before... O_o;

I have absolutely no explanation for it...just...wow...

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Yes I saw that too on Google Earth and wondered my self. I see what looks like two cataman hulls either side of the main hull supporting the mid section. I would have used that to expand the helicopter deck to operate several helicopters? . Perhaps this is a modified boat to explore such potential ?

[edit on 31-3-2006 by psteel]

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Geeze you guys don't you ever search a bit anymore

AT any rate you are looking at the HMS Triton which was a demonstarator for the Royal Navy's Future Surface Combatant frigate.

More details can be found here.

According to the site its in private hands.

[edit on 3/31/06 by FredT]

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Nice Thanks. Mystery solved. Cool ship. Hope its a sign of thing to come.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Good find FredT

That thing really looks weird from a aerial shot

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Both the british and americans are experimenting with tri and catamaran warship configurations.

If anyone had bothered to do their research they'd have quickly ran into some sort of referene to the US navy's littoral combat ship future concept. or a few other protos in that race.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:44 AM
link   
When they cancelled the future surface combatant, she was surpluss to requirements.

She is now owned by Gardline Marine Sciences Limited and has been converted into a multi-role survey vessel; among other projects she is being used as part of the Civil Hydrography Programme on behalf of the United Kingdom's Maritime and Coastguard Agency

[edit on 31-3-2006 by paperplane_uk]

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:55 AM
link   
ahh paperplane in the US the LCS is still a go as far as I know. and Popular mechanics agrees as of last month's issue. so for us it's still an ongoing project.... Sadly I did not know that the british project got killed.

My condolences on the loss of a superb littoral support ship. the Trimaran hull is really quite nice in many respects even if it does restrict the total volume of systems you can pack in.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 04:01 AM
link   
That was built less than I mile away from me (Southampton docks) I actually saw it once and thought WTF, never seen one of those before.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 04:54 AM
link   
FSC was put on indeffinate hold, as the scope became so wide as to be inpractical. The project was split into 3 parts:

MVD - medium sized vessel derivative - most likely based on type 45 replacement for type 22's

VSC - versitile surface combatant - replacement for the type 23's SLEP programme

Global corvette - something akin to the US LCS

All of these are in very early stages of planning, so dont expect anything before 2020.

for more info:
navy-matters.beedall.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   
astral:

the ship was only a scale version of the full sized vessel - which would definately have NOT been littoral in its role!

original planning IIRC was to be a replacement for the fleets frigates.

new topics

top topics

join