It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming Signs Stronger in Antarctica

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Signs of global warming are three times more apparent in Antarctica than across the rest of the planet, a new study shows.

Using newly digitized temperature, humidity, and wind data collected from instruments aboard weather balloons between 1971 and 2003, scientists found a winter season warming throughout the Antarctic atmosphere.

The scientists estimate that atmospheric temperatures over Antarctica in the winter have risen by about 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit (1.5 Celsius) in the last 30 years, and the change is due in large part to greenhouse gas emissions.

“Greenhouses gases could be having a bigger impact in Antarctica than across the rest of the world and we don't understand why," said John Turner of the British Antarctic Survey.

LiveScience.com

Well Antarctica just seems to be the focal point of alot of Global Warming information, which I suppose is'nt so surprising.

I figure we should watch Antarctica and the frogs to know just how much trouble we are in.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
No proof there explains how it's "linked to greenhouse gas emissions."

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Er, I'm saorry I don't quite get your point.

But green house gases have a logical link to ice melting.

Green house gases trap heat in the atmosphere, the excess heat melts ice.

Don't know if that's what you're getting at though.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I believe he means that it is a very very bad article for your point. Once again half truths why didn’t you post the rest of the article??

All quotes are from the same article

Greenhouses gases could be having a bigger impact in Antarctica than across the rest of the world and we don't understand why

Another previous study even suggested that parts of Antarctica were cooling in recent decades while the rest of the globe was warming.

Current climate model simulations don't reproduce the observed warming, pointing to weaknesses in their ability to represent the Antarctic climate system

once again a twist of the truth to scare people in to believing something that we don’t know. The truth is we don’t know what is going on with the world though it is warming some data says its cooling…funny isn’t it

edited for a semi false statement.

[edit on 5-4-2006 by engenerQ]

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
They seem perplexed as to why a 3X increase in a relatively short period.
Maybe it has to do with the Ozone hole allowing more solar energy "in" than other places on the globe with the layer intact.
Maybe the opposite is true; the Ozone hole allowing more heat to radiate "out" to space and the resulting thermal flow warms the polar sheet.
Some folks claim that solar inductive heating of the earth is occuring through the mag lines that contact the poles.
I recently watched a BBC doc called "Global Dimming" that I'd recommend to anyone wanting to know how bad it really is; they claim that all the particulate junk we put in the air is actually helping to keep the planet cool and somewhat mask the warming problem.
One of my neighbours kids (a 10 year old) had a great idea she brought up at the dinner table; take the dark areas (water) of the earth near the poles and cover the seas with an array of boats with mirrors and reflect that heating energy back out the Ozone hole into space.
Kids these days - huh?
Whatever - the weather is screwed up everywhere - it's like April 4th and I'm in Toronto and snowflakes larger than I have ever seen fell today. I immediately thought how much they reminded me of that gossamer-like angel hair mentioned in chemtrail references.
We need some radically advanced planet friendly eco-tinkering soon or many more parts of this planet may become uninhabitable.
Again if you get the chance check out the Global Dimming documentary - it's way scary.

[edit on 4-4-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by engenerQ
I believe he means that it is a very very bad article for your point. Once again half truths why didn’t you post the rest of the article?? Maybe b/c it says the exact opposite of what you believe!

iori_komei is only complying with ATS’s rules on quoting from an external source.
You can not post full articles here. Only 3 paragraphs or 15%.
Posting work written by others. **ALL MEMBERS READ**

How do you know the rest of the article is the opposite of what iori_komei believes?
iori_komei reported on this article in a non-bias way from a nutural standpoint.

once again a twist of the truth to scare people in to believing something that we don’t know. The truth is we don’t know what is going on with the world though it is warming some data says its cooling…funny isn’t it

No where on this thread does iori_komei make a statement on who is to blame in regards to global warming.
I do not believe it is iori_komei who is “twisting” things here.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Well Antarctica just seems to be the focal point of alot of Global Warming information, which I suppose is'nt so surprising.

I figure we should watch Antarctica and the frogs to know just how much trouble we are in.

Comments, Opinions?

Hmm, is not the global warming ozone hole located over the Arctic, you know, where the North Pole is, not the Antarctica South Pole? As such, would not the signs of global warming be more pronounced in the Arctic region rather than the Antarctica?

Btw, seen or read this?
Greenhouse theory smashed by biggest stone

These may be a prudent read, as well:
Ice Core Records of Atmospheric CO2 Around the Last Three Glacial Terminations
The Role of the Sun in 20th Century Climate Change

seekerof

[edit on 4-4-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Gee I had to think for a second... so I looked the EPA says so (for what that's worth)... check here www.epa.gov...
They also have some wild animations available if you look around their site...

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   
all this talk about global warming.
i say burn as much fossil fuels as you can....global warming is the only thing holding back the next ice age!

seriously though....scientists are operating on a very finite amount of data. there are many different theories out there as to what is happening. they range from 'global warming caused by greenhouse gases' to 'normal cycle of the earth's climate.'

bottom line: nobody really has a clue. besides, melting ice in antarctica wouldnt be an entirely bad situation. i've got a feeling that whats buried under that ice will change history as we know it....but that's another thread.

edited for typos.

[edit on 5-4-2006 by snafu7700]

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Thank you Umbrax, like you said, I was only following the rules by limiting the amount I posted.

If I really wanted to be biased or something I could have not provided the link.

As for if I agree or disagree with the article, well it's been 5 days since I read it, so I don't remember what it says, but I don't think I really had any problems with it.

I just post this kind of stuff because Global Warming is interesting to me.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Hmm, is not the global warming ozone hole located over the Arctic, you know, where the North Pole is, not the Antarctica South Pole?

Huh?

I'm a little surprised by your post, seekerof...

Come on, buddy, you're better than that. It's been studied since the 1970's...

The fact is that ozone depletion occurs in both poles....

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 01:14 AM
link   
While I can easily clame half truths I did edit my post b/c I was wrong and im sorry I made a assumption.

Back to the point at hand it is easily seen that it is one sided look at the first line I see nothing explaining that it is 3 times more than the rest of earth. Most importantly, it says that the eastern part is actually cooling down and that they don’t know what it is. The fact that the whole rest of the article is completely different that what is stated is bias. The absence of fact that is there is the bias not the way it was said

While iroi has followed all the formal parts of posting when is it necessary to post responsibly, with all the facts, or to summarize that there not realty sure or that this only applies to parts of it. Should there be a standard for posting ethics? I believe it is my responsibility to post the rest and if you think I was so in the wrong for what I have said then impose a punishment. Your motto is deny ignorance and that is exactly what I was doing I was showing the rest of what was said in the article. And a even more pressing topic is the use on ATS of bad information case in point the article quoted is a page long and is not from a creatable source.

I get the impression you think I am spinning things though what have I spun I haven’t even stated my position yet.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 04:59 AM
link   
The news article which iori_komei posted at the start of this discussion is, indeed, misleading since it clearly states that the warming - which incidently has been observed in the troposphere, not at the surface - is "due in large part to greenhouse gas emissions". But that's the fault of the news reporter

This is not the case - the original report by Turner etal can be read here

They actually conclude

The available observations and current state
of climate models do not allow us to unambiguously
assign a cause to the tropospheric
warming. The lack of a clear change to the atmospheric
circulation suggests in situ effects,
such as changes in cloud amount or particle
size, and increases in the greenhouse gas concentration
may well be playing a part.

But the fact of the matter is that we don't know what is causing this observed atmospheric warming.

Plenty of surface stations in Antarctica have actually observed a cooling trend over the past few decades - though others have seen it warm.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   
like i said, nobody has a clue. they have only been collecting the data for a few decades. it is way too soon for anyone to come to anything more than an educated guess.....and the educated guesses are all contradicting each other. go figure.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by engenerQ
>snip<
...Should there be a standard for posting ethics?

>snip<
...and is not from a creatable source.

No, there should not be, ethics are the creation of the individual, that is you create your ethics, and I create mine.

LiveScience.com is a credible source.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Your right why would we want the truth? Silly notion isn’t it

And for your information it is NOT a creatable source its like going to the enquirer to quote fact lol if you want a credible source find the actually report or better yet the data instead of flimsy sources.

Data doesn’t lie, the people who interpret them do

new topics

top topics

join