It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Project For Truly Collaborative Writing (need writers)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 09:45 PM
link   
It has come up that not much collaboration happens here, and I suspect this is because of certain creative differences between various authors and the friction that creates. Characters go schizophrenic, settings morph wildly, and the plot changes every chapter.

We can stop that from happening to this story.

What I want to do is get between 3 and 6 writers together on the ground-floor of a story, no late entries, nothing gets written until we have a common concept.

We'll get together, and once we have a team, we'll come up with a very general theme, ie: "intrapersonal conflict set in a highschool" or "Interpersonal conflict set in the Pentagon." etc.

Once we've got that, we'll build specific characters and specific setting that compliment the conflict we want to create. We'll discuss name, physical attributes, history, mentality, etc then all do an exercise where we write him in a specific situation. The goal will be that before we start writing the actual story, when we put the same to characters in the same situation, we all write roughly the same personality- if not necessarily the same result.

Once we've confirmed a common concept for characters and setting, only then do we start with Chapter 1.

The idea here is that great writing is natural- you don't force the characters actions, but you empathize with the mentality of the person you've created and can predict what he would do if he was real. Theoretically, if we all share a common concept of the characters and situation, we can all write as one and create a story together without sabotaging one another.

This will be a great way to excercise our personal skills and get to know one another... so who's up for it?

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Yes Yes! This sounds like a great idea. I've been wanting to create podcast plays from the writing here and the plan you describe sounds perfect for that. I'm up for collaborating on stories too. Count me in.

[edit on 31-3-2006 by fingapointa]

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   
That would be awesome. If you're onboard and want to put the story on podcast as we create it that would be great exposure for this forum.

Anyone else want to sign on?
DE, MrWupy? Wouldn't be the same without you guys.

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   
This certainly isn't inspiring a lot of interest. I'm a little disappointed.

Fingapointa- are you still down? Maybe you and I can do this as a proof of concept and we'll have more volunteers next time out.

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Sorry Vagabond, I'd be up for it, but I've got a hectic few weeks coming up. I have to deal with the last three or four weeks of college, getting into shape, plus the MUOC challenge. I will, however, consult if you want.

DE

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Cool. I realize it's always difficult to get everyone into something all at the same time. I figure we'll just start with whoever we can get (if anyone) and make provisions for bringing people in late if the story shows any signs of life.

All that really matters is that we all have the same concept of the characters etc, not necessarily that we all start at the same time.

Anyway, anyone who wants in, feel free to jump in (i'll start putting in my ideas late this week if not sooner)

I guess what we need to start off with are character sketches for protagonists and any significant background figures:
Just give your run down on what the character you have in mind is like. Name, age, appearance, attitude, some history: we can fill these in and adapt them from there.

We'll build a setting and antagonists and plot according to who and when and where our protagonists are.

So, anyone who wants in, just give us a hero and once we've got a few sketches we'll talk about adapting and adopting them.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Yeah, I'm still up for it. I was thinking about it last night. I'll see what I can come up with, in regards to character profiles. Don't give up, I haven't forgotten, it's just a big nut to chew.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 08:21 AM
link   
What about a sci fi number. Something along the lines of a space bootlegger harvesting space vodka, a mining planet that buys the bootleg vodka with growing unrest, secret plans that involve destruction of the vodka clouds as a consequence, a chance interaction with the bootlegger that reveals the plans etc.

I got the idea from this thread.
Giant Alcohol Cloud Detected in Space

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Sorry I'm late getting back to you.

Are you thinking in terms of sort of a commedy, going with "space vodka"?

The sci-fi thing and a smuggler seem like a good place to start and I would like to run with that.

I think a little more of an action/suspense thing would be cool though, and we can use the details to drive that, perhaps by altering the resource which is at the center of the conflict.
I think the conflict becomes hard to swallow (no pun intended) if it's all over hard liquor.

We could go serious and still have a very quirky and amusing world by making the resource something vital- water for example.

OR if we wanted to run the alcohol angle, we'd have to weave something into this world which makes the alcohol very important. For instance, suppose there is some nasty bacteria on this mining planet which contaminates the local water, and which is generally very expensive to deal with, presenting a great opportunity for the antagonists to make a lot of money. This brings them into conflict with bootleggers and smugglers because their ability to force the expensive water treatment (or just imported water) on the planet is dependent upon stopping simpler sterilization methods (such as alcohol) from being made available in sufficient quantity.

So, I guess the question is, do we want a serious plot.

Then we can start sketching characters. When you get the chance, sketch out the bootlegger or smuggler- whichever he ends up being (or several of them if he's not a loner) and I'll do the same, and we can start integrating our ideas into single characters.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   

We could go serious and still have a very quirky and amusing world by making the resource something vital- water for example.

Kewl! I wasn't thinking of a comedy, I wanted to use the space vodka thing more as a novel point of departure. Maybe it can be used a tool for control of the miners etc. I don't think it should be the central subject of the story.

OR if we wanted to run the alcohol angle, we'd have to weave something into this world which makes the alcohol very important. For instance, suppose there is some nasty bacteria on this mining planet which contaminates the local water, and which is generally very expensive to deal with, presenting a great opportunity for the antagonists to make a lot of money.

That's more along the lines I was thinking of. Basically,something like, the smuggler uncovers a plan that is going to pollute the surrounding solar system system, destroy the mining colony and miners, and the smugglers' cash cow. She then use's her contacts with both the miners and the managers and her relative free movement to expose the plot and try to avert it. Or not, we can trash it if the idea seems unworkable.

So, I guess the question is, do we want a serious plot.

Yeah, I think so. Like you said " We could go serious and still have a very quirky and amusing world".

I think having a non essential resource in the mix (and people behaving badly to get it) might allow some examination of human folly and greed.

I think a little more of an action/suspense thing would be cool though

Definately, feel free to go the hack. I want it dripping in drama and deep fried in suspense. Yum!

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I'd be in Vag, but you wouldn't help w/my research project.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Sorry. I used to be a scholar but I ended up bailing on my own project even. My attention span can be quite sub-standard, especially if things never get off to a good start.

top topics

join