It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The wild men of Ireland/Scotland

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Old texts from the middle ages, around 1200 A.D., tell stories of "wildmen" who live in the wilderness of Ireland and Scotland, and other places that can support human life and are scarsely populated. The wildman is said to be just like a human, except they have a fur, which is more like downy feathers, which grows from the ordinary human skin. The same sources also offer an explanation for who these wildmen are, and where they come from. According to history, they are former humans, who have been in battle, and become so scared, that they became wild, and shun people at all cost. They seek out the wilderness, and hunt rabbits and other things that they can get a hold of, because they use no tools, nor do they make any clothes for themselves of any type. Naturally they go long periods without food, and their bodys start adapting to the cold and hunger, and grow downy hairs, which grow longer as the years pass by, if the person does not come to his senses and start living like a human again. But most times, they do not recover, and after still more years, the downs become long and almost like a fur, and cover the entire body. Now, this is interesting, because science has discovered that people who are malnourished/under-nourished for extended periods of time, start growing fine hairs everywhere on their body, which resemble fine down. But none have reported such lengths that it can be called a fur or even "plumage". But never the less interesting. But the imported big cats of these regions will kill off any such beings or people, today ;-) hehehhehe

[edit on 30-3-2006 by Aztecatl]

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
sitting down and having a cup of tea before posting. I was actually very interested in your comments until i came to your last paragraph. Then I looked at the date you joined here - and Im pretty sad you came here for kicks cos the grown ups here wont let you play.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silk
sitting down and having a cup of tea before posting. I was actually very interested in your comments until i came to your last paragraph. Then I looked at the date you joined here - and Im pretty sad you came here for kicks cos the grown ups here wont let you play.

I'm sorry you can't see that I'm serious, and I see that you are a tea-drinking fool of a middle aged person.

You are also ignored now, Silk.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Aztecalt (whatever your called) you shouldn't come here and make such pointless flaming statements.
This board is for civilised people who want to know the truth (whatever that may be)
Some things you can flame, like the Alabama Leprechaun and Annunaki's lies, but don't cross the line and outright insult people.

In regards to the sensible bit of your post I was wondering what 'old texts' these were? I have heard stories of big(feet?) in scotland but not from the 'days of yore'. Any links?

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Ok, now I have removed what I PRESUME was the "FLAMING"

The information I get about these things is from a very old book, which is not published online, and has been around since the 1200's itself.
It is regularly re-published in hardcopy in Norwegian, say every 50 years or so, but that wouldn't help you much anyway. It mentions strange things from all over the world just for fun, but mostly it is an educational book on ethics, morale, social conduct of kings, guidebook to different sought-after professions like merchant and officer, or statesman, and even king.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I would have to agree, the post began very interesting and then just ended very, um...inappropriately.

Anyway, as far as humans with thick or long body hair there is a disease called Hypertrichosis. It causes vary lengths and thickness of body hair. It is also known as the Human Werewolf Syndrome though most who suffer from Hypertrichosis do not claim ancestry to Lycanthropic bloodlines. In the olden days many of these sufferers were ostracized or eventually ended up in freak show exhibits.

Malnutrition does, as well, does cause a type of body fur if left untreated.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   
In the book, the people with lycanthropy are explained to not be of the same type as the "fur-feathered wildmen".

And JackInSpades, or whatever YOU are called, don't you dare attack my nickname and then presume to lecture me on anything having to do with MANNERS.

As for the book, it is amazing what one finds when one goes through the old texts. AMONG OTHER THINGS, THAT WHALES USED TO BEACH THEMSELVES A THOUSAND YEARS AGO TOO, AND THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HUMAN INTERFERENCE!

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   
dont take this the wrong way , but these " old texts " you are reffering to , from "the days of yore " - would these be conteporary to texts suchas [ just for example ] :

` the sea monks of norway ` , ` the land of prester john ` ` the vegatable lamb of tartaray `etc etc etc ??

and wrote ` here there be dragons ` on maps - to cover up gaps in thier surveys ??

are these the sort of ultra reliable texts you are refferencing ??
just curious

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Could you not post a qote or three from the book? Those old texts are quite unreliable as much they describe can now be scientifically explained away.
Reading the description you posted it does sound like malnutrition hair. Anorexics usually develop a soft kind of 'down'.

[edit on 31-3-2006 by JackofBlades]

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Did I miss something or was the inappropriate dialog 'edited' out?

From what I am reading today, the post seems very interesting as well as a bit of humor thrown in at the end in regards to 'big cats'.

I'm hoping there is more to the story to explain the responses.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Grailkeeper: Thank you :-) Yes, it was a very good thread until those other fools dropped in, who do not bother to READ what I have written, and only repeat what I have answered.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Can't comment about Ireland, but I'm not aware or any Highland folklore tales of this sort.

What references are there?

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I did read your post and I thought it was intersting. I was merely saying that alot of medieval wonders are nothing but science nowadays.
Example, rainbows used to be seen as a sign of God's pleasure, now we now it is white light being broken into its visible colours by the water drops.

In your post you said yourself the hair was downy, and this is how the hair on anorexics is sometimes described. Maybe the guys were just dishonoured and were exiled or volunteered.
They could have thrown away their clothing, begun suffering malnutrition and the extra hard life could have led to them becoming stronger.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Jack, you just like to hear yourself speak. you have only repeated everything I have said already. I say you are not allowed to post in this thread again!

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Aztecatl , you have been asked to cite your sources for your incredibble claims . not once , but 3 times

the only sensible way this thread can proceed - is for you to provide some evidence , that can be validated or rejected as medieval hyperbole

if you just want to insult every one who disagrees with you , your time on ATS will be short and bloody

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I don't know what kind of monthy python - funnybooks you usually read, JackofBlades, but it's not like any of the ones you mentioned.

Well what do you know, I found a foreign name for it.

Speculum regale

Do any of you know how to read Latin, German, Icelandic or Norwegian?
Then you're out of luck.

[edit on 31-3-2006 by Aztecatl]

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I'm Norwegian. You seem to know English, so I don't think it would be hard for you to translate something like that. If you don't think you can do it, give the text to me and I'll translate for you. The topic in itself sounds interesting, but I too think you are coming off as aggressive.

Come on now, give us one or two little quotes?

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Sorry, I actually don't have the book around me right now.
Left it at my mom's house, hehe. Will get it during easter holidays... :-\

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aztecatl
Do any of you know how to read Latin, German, Icelandic or Norwegian?
Then you're out of luck.

Why do you think that any of us cannot read Latin, German, Icelandic or Norwegian?

Do you think that of all the 57965 members of ATS you are the only one that knows how to read any one of those languages?

Calm down, drink a cup of tea
or whatever you like the most, and lets start again, do not let an interesting matter go to waste.

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 06:45 AM
link   
As I said, the book is Speculum regale, from 1210 A.D. go look it up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join