It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AK-74s,AK-101s, and AN-94s, assault rifles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
The AK-74 was developed in 1974. It is a pretty good rifle, using a 5.6 mm cartridge, rather than the old 7.4 one used by AK-47 and AKM. Many versions of the AK-74 were made like AKS-74 with a folding stock and the AK-100 series of assault rifles. But the newest Russian assault rifle, I think, is the AN-94 Abakan. I have seen some pics and read a bit about it and sounds pretty cool. Anybody know anything about the AN-94?

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Caliber: 5.45x39 mm
Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt; moving barrel-receiver-gas drive group for delayed recoil action
Overall length: 943 mm (728 mm with butt folded)
Barrel length: 405 mm
Magazine capacity: 30 rounds
Weight, without magazine: 3.85 k g
Cyclic rate of fire: 1800 and 600 rounds per minute variable (see description below for explanation)
Maximum effective range: 700 meters

from world.guns.ru..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">http...://world.guns.ru/assault/as08-e.htm

every thing you need to know on that link my friend, or try this one

www.enemyforces.com...

And the Ak 47 used 7.62x39 mm rounds not 7.4

rather than the old 7.4 one used by AK-47 and AKM

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   
And the AK 74 uses a 5.45 x 39mm round.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 01:53 AM
link   
The AN-94 is a amazing rifle one of the best in the world IMHO. Its unique "moving barrel-receiver-gas drive group for delayed recoil action " allows for much greater accuracy at long ranges in single and burst fire then the AK-74. In 2 shot burst the second round is already downrange before you feel the recoil of the first shot. Its pretty cool seeing the whole barrel move back with each shot.

By nearly all accounts a superior gun then the AK-74 the only issue I have with it is the same one Mr. Kalashnikov has with it the 5.45 x 39mm round it fires . Hes always been against that move and still backs a modernized 7.62 X 39mm.

Its expensive though Russia cant even afford to equip the bulk of its army with them. Now they are only used by Russian SF and Swat teams.

Interesting in buckaroo link

Russian infantry weapon is not for sale to foreign buyers.

Thats not for a lack of trying they tried to sell the AN-94 or a variant to help with the cost but nobody was buying. The market is already flooded with AK-47 (about 50 million) worldwide. You can easily pick up a AK in Africa for 50 bucks.

Victims of their own success

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Yeah the AN series weapon is by all accounts superior but the AK 47 is still more bang for your buck for the average sport shooter or rapacious dictator. It's a shame too as alot of us would like to see the more modern russian weapons for sale even as civilian weaponry, even if just as a fringe alternative to the dominant and expensive AR-15 clones that glut the market.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Great idea astral_ice
Man I hope some Izhmash people visit ATS, I would by a civilian version of the AN-94 in a second
I wish Russia would do that. Heck theres now a civilian version of the P90 in the US I personaly never thought that would happen but it did. They seem to be selling quite well too.

Might be a way to help get production cost down for the AN-94 tapping into the civilian market.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Yeah shadow I agree,

I'd buy an AN-94 chambered in .223 or even the original 5.45 quick before the ATF locked down sales. The gun looks to be an amazing evolution of the tried and true AK 47 which is truly the assault rifle of the common man in many ways. It carries on the spacious and maintenance light internals of it's predecessor with a more svelte and compact overall package.... compared to the ultra finnicky varmint gun AR-15 variants we get fed americans would love this piece of durable and serviceable tech.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Russian soldier
The AK-74 was developed in 1974. It is a pretty good rifle, using a 5.6 mm cartridge, ...

Originally posted by Tony238
And the AK 74 uses a 5.45 x 39mm round.

[wisecrack mode]
He isnt exactly wrong with his caliber figure. There are 3 ways to designate bullet diameter: the use of the rough medium between the lands and groves of the bore (example: 9mm Parabellum: grove diameter = 9,02mm; lands diameter = 8,82mm), the diameter of the lands (now common in the US) and, of lesser significance, the grove/real bullet diameter. The real bullet diameter of what we call 5.45x39mm indeed is 5.62mm (rounded 5.6mm).

While I´m at it, historically there are 4 very different designation systems for cartridges: The Soviet/Russian system, the British system, the american system and the German system.

The american system, while theoretically being the most precise and schematic way of designation, ended up being insanely complicated and seems like a pure chaos (one could call it the famous "over-engineering"). For example the .38 Special and the .357 Magnum share the exact same diameter, yet the numbers are different and the numerically lower .357 Magnum is stronger.

In a funny twist of the usual stereotypes the most convenient yet simplest of these four system was the later German system which denotes cartridges with the (barrel caliber)x(chamber length)... i.e. 5.56x45mm, 9x19mm; a form of designation that spread to most metric countries and later became Nato standard.

Oh, and [/wisecrack mode]

[edit on 31/3/2006 by Lonestar24]

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 01:39 AM
link   
The AN-94 is one of the finest rifles in existance right now IMHO.

If I was the US Army i'd be buying those! or at the very least try to replicate the 2 round burst mode...

I loved it so much I had to make one for the game Rogue Spear...

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lonestar24

In a funny twist of the usual stereotypes the most convenient yet simplest of these four system was the later German system which denotes cartridges with the (barrel caliber)x(chamber length)... i.e. 5.56x45mm, 9x19mm; a form of designation that spread to most metric countries and later became Nato standard.

[edit on 31/3/2006 by Lonestar24]

Thanks for the insight lonestar , was not aware that this was the german system , just assumed it was a NATO method of designation.

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 12:45 AM
link   
The US claimed they reach the maximum technological peak of small-arms performance with the AR-15 and XM-8 type weapons.

But the AN-94's system most definitly has something significant to offer doesn't it? how practical would the 2 round burst mode be I wonder.

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I think it could be very practical since your putting the 2 rounds from burst in almost the exact same spot. "A trained shooter can make a single hole in the target at 100 meters in this mode."

link

So you get
-significant increased lethality,
-increased stopping power
-better chances to defeat body armour

all while you keep that "single shot" accuracy

top topics

join