It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 700 Ton Explosive to Send Mushroom Cloud Over Vegas

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
It's disgusting that our government works so hard on killing machines instead of spending their efforts and our money on things that benefit mankind.
Down with inventions of death. Who made them God?

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by stompk
It's disgusting that our government works so hard on killing machines instead of spending their efforts and our money on things that benefit mankind.
Down with inventions of death. Who made them God?

First to address this. This explosive is meant to destroy underground nukes, bio, and chemical weapons. How is that not benefiting mankind?

Alright.
1. This explosive is in no way nuclear. I'm not even sure how that came up.
2. It may be 700 tons, but the blast will be equivalent to 593 tons of TNT

There is a lot of talk of this being a nuke but has anyone thought of what we might be destroying with this bomb? Do we know the exact spot and what sits there? Has the military hauled anything onto to the site to be destroyed by this bomb?

This is a weapons testing site. We test bombs there ALL the time. The test will only be a hole only 30 something feet deep. Nothing is being destroyed.

So why such big bombs?
because

Congress, however, has repeatedly refused to grant funding for a study on a nuclear bunker buster, instead directing money toward conventional alternatives.

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Russians don't seem too happy about US's move to detonate large ANFO explosive.

Russian expert says U.S. test explosion is "political" move RIA Novista
Tsiganok said Russia was unlikely to follow the U.S. example, and would not conduct similar tests.

"We have signed the Non-Proliferation Treaty, and the use of conventional explosives with yield comparable to that of a small nuclear bomb could be regarded as a violation of the treaty," he said.

The expert said that the U.S. move could "provoke an escalation of tensions in the world, and particularly in the Middle East."

The U.S. has not yet ratified the 1996 Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty and is unlikely to do so in the future.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Tsiganok contends it's in violation of the Non-Proliferation Treaty,
although I didn't see anything to indicate this.

Anyone know their treaties?

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I can't believe how misunderstood I've been here.
1. Somebody seemed to think I was saying that if it gives off a mushroom cloud it's gotta be nuclear- NOT what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that IF it's not anywhere close to the payload they're talking about, but still has that yield and the attendant mushroom cloud (which I've previously pointed out you will get from just about any really large explosion) then it's not your run of the mill conventional explosion.
On the otherhand if that yield comes from a fairly large bomb, then there's little reason to suspect that it's nuclear.

And to kick a dead horse for disturbed deliverer- .7kt isn't much. The smallest nuke we've ever put out was the W54 warhead- selectable yield from .1 to .2 kt, used on the "Davy Crockett" Recoiless Rifle Projectile.

The big question is, what size of weapon are they getting this roughly .7kt from. (if that's even it's actual yield- again, we only know what we're told in this regard)
It might not only be a matter of smaller yield, but greater efficiency (and therefore reduced fallout).

I'm not saying FOR SURE that it's nuclear, and I'm not saying FOR SURE that it's not. I'm just saying that shouting down anyone who entertains the idea that it could be nulcear, just because "the government said so, and why would they lie" is a little premature.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   
1. If there was even a chance that this would be a nuclear test, they wouldn't have told anyone.

2. This isn't even a weapon yet. It's neither a bomb nor a missile, it's an explosive charge.

3. It's a ammonium nitrate-fuel oil explosive which according to regen's link is very common as "It is by far the most widely used explosive in coal mining, quarrying, metal mining, and civil construction: it accounts for an estimated 80% of the 6,000,000,000 pounds (2,700,000 metric tons) of explosive used annually in North America."

4. You do know we have much more powerful conventional weapons (actual weapons) than this right?

Larger blasts have been carried out at the White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico, including the nation's biggest open-air detonation, in 1985, a Pentagon spokeswoman said.

plus MOAB and other bunker buster bombs...

[edit on 31-3-2006 by ThatsJustWeird]

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeirdThe test will only be a hole only 30 something feet deep.

Where do you get that from?

The blast of 600-700 tons of TNT does not produce a mere 30' deep crater!

NN

apc

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I wouldn't worry too much about any fallout dust kicked up from the old tests. Everything has long since decayed to a safe level. I wouldn't exactly advise eating Nevada dirt... not that I would anyway... but no anything these tests might kick up will not be harmful.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoNik
Where do you get that from?

The blast of 600-700 tons of TNT does not produce a mere 30' deep crater!

NN

Sorry. Worded it wrong. I meant to say they will test it in a hole that's only 30 something feet deep.

And the equivalent is close to 600 tons of TNT.

The June test will detonate 700 tons of heavy ammonium nitrate-fuel oil emulsion -- creating a blast equivalent to 593 tons of TNT -- in a 36-foot-deep hole near a tunnel in the center of the Nevada Test Site

It's all in the Washington Post link I posted above.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird
Sorry. Worded it wrong. I meant to say they will test it in a hole that's only 30 something feet deep.

That sounds more better

NN

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Sigh, so much stupidity at this joint.

Anybody who’s driven past Indian Springs, knows is a good hour+ drive from downtown LV (The world’s greatest city) and there’s a WHOLE not of nothing surrounding it. The test range is even further. And this bomb is not a nuke.

This bomb is meant to demonstrate to Iran that their nuclear facilities are not immune from US Airpower. Perhaps this and other forms of pressure will convince those 15th century retards in Iran to give up their nuclear ambitions.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:19 PM
link   
when i read this i thought oh sh--. I LIVE in vegas! you are correct to wonder what sort of left over nuke dust might be sent up! well, looking forward to the big fire cracker! should be quite a show!

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I just saw a small blurp on CNN about it.

They say it is to test new technology associated with "bunker buster" tech.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Dissention on the rise!

Plans for Massive Blast in Nev. Draw Fire

"I am concerned that tests of this magnitude have been planned without providing Nevadans with any information about the possible impact on their health or safety," said Demcratic Sen. Minority Leader Harry Reid in a statement Thursday.

"Given the level of contamination in areas where nuclear tests were conducted, I have real concerns about the dust and other pollutants that will be released into the air as a result of this explosion," said U.S. Rep. Shelley Berkley.

Disarmament activist Pete Litster said tests at the site violate international law. Litster, executive director of the Shundahai Network, said the site belongs to the Western Shoshone Indian tribe.

Looks like the local government is not fond of the idea.
Wonder how many rooms Vegas will book for June 2nd?
Anyone buying particle masks yet?

[edit on 31-3-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackthorne
when i read this i thought oh sh--. I LIVE in vegas! you are correct to wonder what sort of left over nuke dust might be sent up! well, looking forward to the big fire cracker! should be quite a show!

Because of where it's being held at. Anyone not participating in the test probably won't be able to see it.

Nor hear of feel it for that matter
WP link....

The blast is not likely to be felt or heard outside the 1,375-square-mile test site, and the cloud of dust is expected to dissipate quickly from view, Morgan said. "They don't think people will see it in the base camp on the south end of the test site," he said.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird
Because of where it's being held at. Anyone not participating in the test probably won't be able to see it. .

A 10,000 foot mushroom cloud would make it plausible that you could see it from Vegas, especially from a tall building, Then it will waft over Vegas due to prevailing westerly winds. I can see thunderheads 150 miles away from my locale.

The satire begins:

Divine Strake: Jesus’s 700 Ton Bomb
But forget about all that for a moment and focus back on the size of this … 700 TONS. The biggest airplane in the entire world — the old Soviet Antonov 225 — can only carry 250 tons of cargo. So is the military actually hinting at divine intervention in naming this thing Divine Strake? Apparently only god will be able to lift this thing and drop it anywhere.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElTiante
-[snip]-
And this bomb is not a nuke.

This bomb is meant to demonstrate to Iran that their nuclear facilities are not immune from US Airpower. Perhaps this and other forms of pressure will convince those 15th century retards in Iran to give up their nuclear ambitions.

Much more than that Mr/Mrs/Ms ElTiante…..

Calibrating instruments for ‘greater’ weapon testing is always preceded by the use of know explosives; TNT, designer, shaped etc. (sound familiar?). 700 tons of TNT is nothing compared to the historical testing for explosive instrumental calibration(s).

100 tons in the early years…1940’s:

To calibrate the instruments which would be measuring the atomic explosion and to practice a countdown, the Manhattan scientists ran a simulated blast on May 7. They stacked 100 tons of TNT onto a 20-foot wooden platform just southeast of ground zero. Louis Hempelmann inserted a small amount of radioactive material from Hanford into tubes running through the stack of crates. The scientists hoped to get a feel for how the radiation might spread in the real test by analyzing this test. The explosion destroyed the platform, leaving a small crater with trace amounts of radiation in it.

Source

You are right, in this particular instance in that the ‘bomb’ being detonated at this site is not a ‘nuke’ in any traditional sense….…yet.

The premise of a 'demonstration' is doubtful as the US does not need to demonstrate its' weapons capabilities, nor will she/should she in this current climate. Look at it for what it is.

Read-up.

mg

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   
This is more likely a test of the Yucca Mountain facility rather than a test of a new explosive of some sort.

I have reason to believe that the Yucca Mountain facility is not a nuclear waste facility, but rather a survivalist location from pending meteor strikes on the face of the Earth....the facility would need a good shakedown before they invite VIPs in there to hide from the calamity on the surface.

And you all thought your theories were way out there
but there is more evidence than you realize if you open your mind to the possibility and look for it.

For more information on what I'm talking about:
www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElTiante

Anybody who’s driven past Indian Springs, knows is a good hour+ drive from downtown LV (The world’s greatest city) and there’s a WHOLE not of nothing surrounding it. The test range is even further. And this bomb is not a nuke.

nothing personal but I don't think that post avoids stupidity...condem 'Iran' for having amibitions like that..but look whos doing it and what kind of ambition is held in the 'US'...."hey you can't do that, only we're allowed to have nuclear ambitions"

then again are they one in the same to keep pushing this agenda along with little things like this..

I think the bunker buster relation is pretty interesting

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
A 10,000 foot mushroom cloud would make it plausible that you could see it from Vegas, especially from a tall building, Then it will waft over Vegas due to prevailing westerly winds. I can see thunderheads 150 miles away from my locale.

1. The test will take place in a valley....
The mountains will block it (unfortunately. Would have made for great pics if you could see it from Vegas)

www.military.com...

"All explosives, given the right thermal characteristics, will create a cloud that may resemble a mushroom cloud," the statement said, adding that the "dust cloud" from Divine Strake - scheduled for June 2 - may reach an altitude of 10,000 feet but "is not expected to be visible from Las Vegas," about 90 miles (145 kilometers) away.

abcnews.go.com...

"It's unlikely the dust cloud will be visible from Las Vegas," Abdel Nour said. "And it's also predicted you won't even be able to see the cloud on part of the test site because of the geography and distance involved."

Mountains surround the flat Nevada site where the test will be conducted

2. There's nothing to 'waft'. The dust should dissipate fairly quickly.

[edit on 31-3-2006 by ThatsJustWeird]

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I can't help but think even if it's not a nuke, it's still 1.4 million pounds of explosives going off in a single spot. For what? To show Iran what we're made of? Yeah right. That's a lot of explosives, and it seems to me that it's there for a reason. They can't hide this kind of explosion from us, but they can do it right in front of our faces and tell us it's normal.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join