Robert Anton Wilson's explanation of disinfo

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
In one of his books, RAW gave a brilliant explanation of how disinformation works, using a nuclear particle collision as a corollary. I want to quote it, but I don't remember how he constructed his explanation.

Unfortunately, I also don't remember which book he did this in -- I want to say it was one of his novels, but I'm not 100% certain. Normally, this would be fun research project for me. Unfortunately, I'm a (recently-minted) quadriplegic and no longer have the use of my hands. Physically manipulating, let alone "flipping through" books is now really, reeeaally difficult for me, so I need help.

Can any of y'all point me in the right direction, or, better yet, just write it out here? It'd be extremely helpful to me.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Im sure its in one of the books Ive read, he is an awesome author..if I had all his books on hand Id happilly reread them. I guess if you can tell me what book s ya read I can maybe narrow my search a little. Really I think reading his books got me interested in conspiracy in the first place. Ive only got schrodingers cat here and Im not sure its in that one..Illuminati trilogy is a good possibility though. Ive also got prometheus rising but I read that regularly and I know its not in there

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by LuCypher
Im sure its in one of the books Ive read, he is an awesome author..if I had all his books on hand Id happilly reread them. I guess if you can tell me what book s ya read I can maybe narrow my search a little. ...

Thanks Lu,

I'm thinking it was in the "Universe Next Door" trilogy, but I not entirely sure. It also could have been in "Cosmic Trigger" or "The Illuminati Papers," but I'm equally unsure. Don't think it was in the historical chronicles, or the original "Illuminatus!" trilogy. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I can't use my hands to peruse my library.

Thanks again!
Back

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
it sounds like something from either the schrodingers cat trilogy, quantum psychology or possibly even one of the cosmic trigger books, or half a dozen of his others hahahaha

i could re-read all the books i have of his to let you know but it may take a while (& i would gladly do this on a regular basis)

can you possibly remember anything else in the book you may have read at the same time to narrow it down a bit?

Dae

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Maybe someone should send him an email and ask him pretty please if he could post his uber wisdom for us here. I was expecting to read something of his here, kinda disappointed!

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 06:57 AM
link   
ok. it wasnt from schrodingers cat trilogy, although he does write lots about both disinformation & nuclear particles in there but not tying them together.

trying a few of his other books, but im getting side-tracked easily

Dae

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by justyc
trying a few of his other books, but im getting side-tracked easily

*giggles*

See my avatar? Yes, that bunneh critter is sitting there next to you on the floor, each time you stay on one page for more than 45 seconds it will deploy... well you know I cant find the words to describe it, needless to say it will involve depleted carrots fused with gecko technology. *nods*

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dae

*giggles*

See my avatar?

"As Wilson's Fourth Law sez, "With sufficient research you will find evidence to support your theory." So I settled on the magick rabbit as the model nobody could take literally, not even myself." from www.newfalcon.com...

fnord :p

Dae

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   

from www.newfalcon.com...

fnord :p

I had to share this!

...Nobody can or should endure that. Thanks to Valerie and WAMM, I never have that kind of torture for more than an hour these days. I pop one of their pain pills and I'm up and back at the iMac in, well, if not an hour, then at most two hours. By the way, Congress should impeach Dubya and impound Asa Hutchinson. Or did I say that already?

Q. I think you did.

A. Well, it bears repeating.

No idea who Asa Hutchinson is but IMPOUND heeem!!

Q. How do you discern between conspiracy and coincidence?

A. The way Mr. and Mrs. Godzilla make love: very carefully.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
asa hutchinson - he may have been referring to this incident - stopthedrugwar.org...

& i had to share this! -

Good Times: What is your opinion of George W. Bush?

Robert Anton Wilson: I like Bush a lot. He gives me a deep sense of self-satisfaction. Despite all my suspicions, I am not the dumbest schmuck on the planet after all. That's nice to know. He constantly reminds me of that. Bush was C-student in both high school and college. His former speech writer described him as incurious and uninformed. That is exactly the ideal president for this time in history. Most of the public is made up of C-students who are incurious and uninformed. What Bush says makes sense to them because they don't know any more about the world then he does. No wonder he is so popular. The dumber you are and the dumber you appear, the more popular you will be with the public.

taken from www.deepleafproductions.com...

damn, we are getting side-tracked

Dae

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   

damn, we are getting side-tracked

Getting right back on topic
have you seen the video Everything is Under Control (1998)? I tried looking for it in google video but no luck (I have it here on my HD). He talks about conspiracy theories, which ones he likes and whatnot. From what I remember he says if a theory makes you laugh or cry, its usually right. Something like that.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
yes, getting back on topic totally, no i havent but you should look out for the dvd 'maybe logic' about raw. very sad to see him but still achingly funny

i think you must mean this truism of his ...

CD: How seriously are we to take your fascinating and entertaining trilogy, Illuminatus!, which you wrote in collaboration with Robert J. Shea?

Wilson: I would hate to be taken seriously. Serious people are always so grim and uptight that they make me want to dance naked on the lawn playing a flute. Of course, as Mavis says in the first volume of the trilogy, nothing is true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't really understand it until it makes you cry. The basic situation of humanity is both tragic and comic, since we are all domesticated apes with marvelous 30-billion-cell brains, which we seldom use efficiently because of domination by the older mammalian parts of the back brain. I mean, we're living on the Planet of the Apes, man. Is that funny or serious? It depends on how broad your sense of humor is, I guess.

taken from - www.rawilson.com... (oops - i think i have to add... this link is not for the easily offended)

[edit on 20-4-2006 by justyc]

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
~~

i couldn't be able to cite just which book your referring to which makes
a concise meme about disinformation...

but there's this from a site, www.maybelogic.net...

> Disinfo Forteana

"23 Questions with Robert Anton Wilson"

>> Then there's this site(not well received here) which has a menu of 55 'interviews' with Robert A Wilson, from 1976-2005,
with a few audio clips available, you'll have to paste this to your browsers address bar....deoxy.org...

Dae

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Ahh reminds me of something that happened to me the other day. Friend brings me ciggies from Spain. I point out the spanish warnings on the packets and say its nice to not have to read that crap for a change. He then says, "yeah, they only kill Spanish people." Laughter... then I say, with grin still on my face, "And its true too, I cant read that spanish voodoo death bone telling me Im going to die, so yeeah, it only kills Spanish people!"

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
why is it that both cigarettes and alcohol kill more people directly and indirectly than avian flu or terrorists could ever hope to in their whole lifetime, yet they are still both legal?

shouldnt we be like, doing something about that?

Dae

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   

why is it that both cigarettes and alcohol kill more people directly and indirectly than avian flu or terrorists could ever hope to in their whole lifetime, yet they are still both legal?

shouldnt we be like, doing something about that?

Possibly. Although what they do to cigarettes Id like the same please for cars. Yes, every car out there must sport a BIG sticker on every viewable side that says, for instance:

Warning : Driving cars around people causes thousands of deaths and 40 times that in injuries each year.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   
wow - that old codger has written another book i didnt know about!!
www.amazon.com...

well if he's got THAT much time on his hands then he should finish off the historical illuminatus chronicles before he dies (again) .... poor sigismundo

and baack - damn you to eternity with eris sitting behind you eating popcorn, throwing it in your hair and kicking your seat for sending us on a goose chase for a wilsonism. grrrrrr i havent had so much fun since the last time i opened one of his books.

btw baack - is that a roland pic on your profile?????

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   

... (snip)...
and baack - damn you to eternity with eris sitting behind you eating popcorn, throwing it in your hair and kicking your seat for sending us on a goose chase for a wilsonism. grrrrrr i havent had so much fun since the last time i opened one of his books.

btw baack - is that a roland pic on your profile?????

To answer your last question first, that is indeed Roland the Gunslinger (courtesy Michael Whelan,) on my profile. One of my favorite fictional heroes, besides Messrs. Holmes, Van Helsing, and Bond.

As to your first comment, you're welcome.
I only wish I could join in the fun! On serious note, I do appreciate all of y'all's efforts in helping to track this particularly slippery piece of info down. What a bunch of cool people!

Baack

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
look up some of phil schniter's work and ron rummel's.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by nwomi
look up some of phil schniter's work and ron rummel's.

erm, either you are in the wrong thread or you have entered chapel perilous - please take the next exit on the left

i still havent found the right book yet but his new one is good so far

new topics
top topics

join