It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATF up the Fighters Contest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Since i seen this image on another thread, I have came up with ideas to revamp old jet fighters to highly advanced planes by adding butterfly wings, Front canards and VT nozzles and 21st century technology.

The fighter must be from 1945 to the 3rd generation of aircraft

For example jets like the F-101 Voodoo, F-100 Super Sabre, F-105 Thud, Hawker Hunter, Korean war aircraft and so on

We must think of ways to improve these old fighters and see who will come up with the best ATF

My ATF is a twin engined F-105 with diamond butterfly wings

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Oooh! I like this game!

How about an updated F-16?

Maybe elongate the wings, add some conards, square up the intake a bit...

Wait, China has already did it!! Its called the J-10.

The J-10

The F-16

New wings, some conards, a asthetic differences and viola!! J-10 = F-160!!

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Just a word about "conards". That's canards ("ducks" in French), while conard is (still in French) an insult.

Browno, although I like the new wing shape, there are too many things added to my taste.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Oooh! I like this game!

How about an updated F-16?

Maybe elongate the wings, add some conards, square up the intake a bit...

The J-10

The F-16

New wings, some conards, a asthetic differences and viola!! J-10 = F-160!!
What planet are you on?

EDIT: since the mods have told me this is excessive quoting and a one line response, maybe I should ellaborate.

The view that the J-10 is a "copy" or development of the F16 is rediculous. It's naff anti-Chinese propoganda.

[edit on 30-3-2006 by planeman]

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by planeman
What planet are you on?

Chill man.

He made a sarcastic comment and u have a go at him.

Anyway we all know the j-10 is a copy of the f-16.

Justin

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Anyway we all know the j-10 is a copy of the f-16.

Well except for the completely different aerodynamic layout, engine, avionics, weapons systems, cockpit, etc... sure.

The J-10 was influenced by the F-16 - as has been every fighter since it first appeared. To call it a "copy" is more than a bit of a stretch. The TU-4 was a copy of the B-29. The J-6 was a copy of the Mig-19. The J-10 owes it's lineage to the J-9 and the Lavi (which in turn owed a lot to the Falcon), but it's not a direct copy of anything.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   

How about an updated F-16? Maybe elongate the wings, add some conards, square up the intake a bit...

....and design a new fin, design a new fuselage of different section, don't have any wing/body blending, don' have any leading edge strakes, move the wings down to the bottom of the now completely different fuselage and swap them for a totally different design, fix the ventral fins to the bottom of the trailing edge strakes instead of the fuselage, design all new interior architecture and a new cockpit, oh and put a different canopy on it as well blending into a fuselage spine that stretches back to the fin, fit a completely new and different undercarriage and just basically end up with a plane thats 100% different...

exactly.

[edit on 30-3-2006 by waynos]

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 01:39 AM
link   
GOD...nice freaking thread hijack there skippy...
very very lame.

I think this thread would actually be a fun excercize.

Let's get back to topic shall we?

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 05:40 AM
link   

How about the F-79 interceptor? I took the 1945 XP-79 Flying Ram interceptor and updated it with some newer technology.

Tim

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
As much as this sort of thing doesn't make sense, it could come up with some amusing remixes. Here's my pimped-up Northrop F-5:

I've remodelled the nose and intakes to be semi-stealthy and generally blended. I've also stuck a couple of Eurojet EJ-200s up its arse (the same engines as the Eurofighter, they can come with thrust vectoring control and have 20,000lb thrust, so that's 4 times more thrust than the F-5E Tiger II (!!!!!!!)). And I've added flank tanks and Rafael derby medium range AAMs for good measure. F-20 eat your heart out!

Next pimping; a Fouga Magister on steriods...

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Super-Buccaneer low-level naval bomber: chisseled nose with low-observable intakes to reduce frontal aspect radar cross section, EJ-200 turbofans give more power and flank tanks increase range (as do new jets).

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I like the pimped up Buccaneer! Good Work!

Howabout if one of us starts a similar thread but we turn some of these obsolete fighters into JSFs!

For instance the F-100 Hun becouse it was a smallish standard Fighter/Attacker

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by planeman
Super-Buccaneer low-level naval bomber: chisseled nose with low-observable intakes to reduce frontal aspect radar cross section, EJ-200 turbofans give more power and flank tanks increase range (as do new jets).

Now there's an idea! IIRC the Bucc was stealthy before the word 'stealth' was invented - what better to fly from our new carriers?

About time we just developed and built an aircraft ourselves - it can't be any more expensive than the collaboration route and at least we will be able to share the tech codes with ourselves

Bucc 2012 - you know it makes sense!!

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Here's what I did to a MiG-21

... OMG it's teh Black Triangle!!!11 How's that for advanced!

new topics

top topics

join